Sending In Ear signal through the Axe Fx

Erik Hammero

Inspired
I'm thinking about sending my monitor signal from the mixer through the Axe Fx to make use of the equalizers in it at the same time I'm using it for my guitars.
Monitor signal out from the mixer to In 2 Left/Right, setting up a row just for this signal and send it out again through Out 2 Left/Right to the In Ear sender. As you surely understand, I'm using a stereo In Ear system.
I wont do any damage to the inputs/outputs on the Axe Fx this way, levelwise?
I just want to be sure before I try it so I dont frie the box. :)

Off the cuff of my sleeve, I don't see why this wouldn't work. I'm just not sure I'm wrapping my head around the reason for it.
Depending on what you're goal is, how I manage it is Out1 XLR L/R to FOH, Out1 1/4" L to IEM.

Today I'm sending the whole FOH monitor signal through a small, external mixer before it gets to the my In Ear system for a bit of EQ and easy-to-reach levels. Instead I want to send everything through the Axe Fx for EQ and levels before it gets to the In Ear.
Maybe I misunderstand what you are doing but do you get eveything in your In Ear that way? The way I see it is that you only gets the guitar in it?
Or have I missed something? :)

Why do you want to EQ your IEM ?

They should be a pretty good representation of your overall mix, so if you think you need to EQ the IEM signal to sound better, then it likely means you need to EQ your overall FOH mix as well. Solving the issue as it goes to your IEM is fine and good, but the audience is still hearing a tone/mix you found unpleasing.

Hm, I misread your first post, but lqdsnddist basically nailed my next set of questions. I wouldn't change anything on what FOH sends me, and I wouldn't use the IEMs to make mid-set / song changes to my tone either. Of course, I've been working with the same soundguy for about 3 years now on every show, and know that he dials us in great to the crowd.
For level adjustments, I just use the level on my receiver pack.

No, the In Ear buds work differently than the FOH speakers. I have tried it and it just dont work. There was a post from Metallicas tech on the forum recently and he also say that the In Ear need another EQ than FOH.
An EQ that works for the FOH speakers isn't the same as the small In Ear buds needs.

My in-ears work just fine with the FOH mix on live gigs. Of course, I spent about $700 on the buds themselves... not saying that the Metallica guy is wrong or anything, but for my band and my needs, what the FOH is sending me works just fine.

If you need another EQ, I believe your idea in OP will work.

Yeah, the cost of the buds make a major difference. I will in time get buds in that price range but in the meantime I need to EQ some frequensis out and some in.

Are you using custom molded IEM's or just ones with the domes ? You can usually adjust some of the acoustic properties of the IEM's depending on things like adding a vent, insertion depth etc

Working as an audiologist I do this all day long, in addition to doing impressions for custom IEM's.

Did you also consider something like a cheap stomp box eq ? Just run it inline from the mixer to your transmitter. Should let you do the tonal shaping you need and cost you $25 or less. Seems like that could be a bit easier as far as the routing goes. Your original plan would technically work I believe, but its sounds like a pain to set up and route into a second input etc, especially if all you need to do is just boost or cut a little to taste

I will isolate the monitor signal from the guitar signal so it will work as two totally independent signals inside the Axe Fx. The signals wont interfere with each other.
Its not the levels that is the most important thing here, its the EQ. A stomp box will most likely work but I'm running stereo In Ear so that would mean i'll need two pedals.

I'm really confused.....
You don't get the FOH sound in a monitor mix, you get the Aux Send assigned to the in-ear or wedge you're using as your monitor.
The Aux mix typically has it's own EQ, if you need to use it and it's a completely different mix than the FOH.
It's your personal mix, so you hear what you want to hear, at the levels you want to hear it, so you're comfortable playing.
As a guitar player, I want to hear the drums at a certain level, my guitar at a certain level, vocals etc...
That's way different than the FOH. I generally turn down keys, sax and background vocalist, just so I can hear myself and the drums better.
We use a PreSonus desk which has both a PEQ and a 31 Band EQ on each Aux Send Monitor Output. You can essentially season the sound to taste.
We also mix in some "room mics" to add a little space to the mix. In-ears sound best when run in stereo with some room added in.
I mix my personal monitor mix with an iPad Mini or my iPhone.
Check out Q-Mix:
PreSonus | QMix?-AI

Last edited:
Yeah, the cost of the buds make a major difference. I will in time get buds in that price range but in the meantime I need to EQ some frequensis out and some in.
Yeah, I'm using UE 500's, cost $55 at the time, and I wind up with a huge cut in the mids compared to the FOH. They sound good, but the FOH sounds much better.

Back
Top Bottom