Sending AxeFX input to Plugins - what's the correct input level?

This brings another question on which I've been pondering for some time. The Load Boxes, and how to set the volume right with them.

Basically my signal chain is: Guitar into Axe FX, then output 3 maxed to the amp, to the load box, and to the input 3 of axe. Then I use a cab either in the axe or in the daw. My question is, is there an ideal volume level to hit the cab block? Or since it is just a filter, is it ok as long as the signal does not clip?

This brings another question on which I've been pondering for some time. The Load Boxes, and how to set the volume right with them.

Basically my signal chain is: Guitar into Axe FX, then output 3 maxed to the amp, to the load box, and to the input 3 of axe. Then I use a cab either in the axe or in the daw. My question is, is there an ideal volume level to hit the cab block? Or since it is just a filter, is it ok as long as the signal does not clip?
yep, just avoid clipping and you'll be good.

If you use some of the preamp parameters (like saturation or drive) you may want to keep an eye on your level, but that would be no different to how you'd run your normal amp block level into a cab.

Reactions: TGM
I'm actually finding the FM9 DI input to be quite a bit hotter into Helix Native than my interface's DI input with the gain at 0. The latter corresponds perfectly to the levels I get with the same preset on the Helix hardware so in order to match those I have to gain down the FM9's DI track. Is there a setting on the FM9 to do this so I don't have to do it in the plugin itself?

Last edited:
I'm actually finding the FM9 DI input to be quite a bit hotter into Helix Native than my interface's DI input with the gain at 0. The latter corresponds perfectly to the levels I get with the same preset the Helix hardware so in order to match those I have to gain down the FM9's DI track. Is there a setting on the FM9 to do this so I don't have to do it in the plugin itself?

I/O -> Input -> Input 1 Gain. Or, you could of course put a gain plugin in front of Helix Native. Or adjust the DAW input channel gain.

I/O -> Input -> Input 1 Gain. Or, you could of course put a gain plugin in front of Helix Native. Or adjust the DAW input channel gain.
Thanks. This will affect my FM9 presets though, right? Was hoping for a USB DI output level or something so I could set and forget.

Thanks. This will affect my FM9 presets though, right? Was hoping for a USB DI output level or something so I could set and forget.

If you don't want to affect the FM9 presets, adjust the DI input channel gain in your DAW. You won't find a digital output level control in the FM9...that kind of control is generally frowned upon since it breaks the model that the two devices at the ends of the digital connection form a single virtual device.

Back
Top Bottom