Send tempo via midi to drummer's click-track?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Hi everyone.

Our drummer, bless his soul, uses a click track (which ensures consistent tempo no matter what happens). However, between songs, he has to "dial in" the desired tempo, which he reads off our setlist.

I was thinking that my presets have the tempo stored, and it only takes me a fraction of a second to select the next preset to get ready for the next song. Wouldn't it be great if my Ultra could set his click track automagically?

Is there a way to send the tempo data across midi, and get his click track thingamajig to read it?

I realize I'll need to read up on his click track gizmo also, but before I even go there, I wanted to check:
1-) How do I send tempo data into my ULTRA's midi out?
2-) Will it adversely affect anything in my rig (i.e. my floor controller, which does NOT process tempo data)?

Thanks!

Just send from midi out of your Axe FX, his device may need to be set as a time receiver as opposed to "midi clock master". There is a really cool device which I'm trying to talk my drummer into buying, it's a little box with a built in light designed purely for this purpose. I'll look it up and come back.

Ok here it is MIDI Solutions Beat Indicator

Just send from midi out of your Axe FX, his device may need to be set as a time receiver as opposed to "midi clock master". There is a really cool device which I'm trying to talk my drummer into buying, it's a little box with a built in light designed purely for this purpose. I'll look it up and come back.

I'm pretty sure the Axe FX does not send MIDI clock info. You could get your drummer to use a DAW and make songs that have the click track on them, already set to the song tempo. Heck, you could make click tracks in a DAW, dump them into iTunes, make a play list of the set in the order and he could play the song list from his phone or an iPod device.

But it would be nice to have a metronome block or option given that you could route to output 2 or send via midi and control by modifier.

Just got one of these. Works perfectly.

But it would be nice to have a metronome block or option given that you could route to output 2 or send via midi and control by modifier.

If you have a synth block handy, you could use that to beep along with the tempo and send it to output 2. I used to have a momentary switch on my controller that I'd use at band practice to give us a count in for a certain tempo change in a song. These days the switch just triggers a really horrible and annoying sustained pair of synth notes, there purely for when I want to irritate my band mates.

If you have a synth block handy, you could use that to beep along with the tempo and send it to output 2. I used to have a momentary switch on my controller that I'd use at band practice to give us a count in for a certain tempo change in a song. These days the switch just triggers a really horrible and annoying sustained pair of synth notes, there purely for when I want to irritate my band mates.

Cool! HA HA!

Back
Top Bottom