Send MIDI messages to Axe-fx II from Logic Pro 9? Any help?

Hey Guys,

I've been looking for some information on how to set up MIDI communication between Logic Pro 9 and my Axe-fx II through USB, assuming that this is possible. What I'd like to do is either program changes to effects, be able to control wah, wet/dry levels, etc. through automation when reamping. Is this even possible? Any information would be of great assistance. Thanks ahead of time!

You can do all this. Basically you just need to know what CC the Axe is using for doing whatever you want to do. MIDI CCs list - Axe-Fx II Wiki has a list of the default CCs. You can do all the on/off stuff you want. For wet/dry and other parameter change stuff the simplest way is to use External Controllers which have CC numbers. You can hook up parameters for individual effects in a patch to those External Controllers and control via the appropriate CC. Not all parameters are available for external control, so you may have some limitations there. Beyond that, I think you'd have to use sysex to control parameters, like the people making the various editors are doing (Scrutinizer's Lemur template, AxePad for Ipad and AxeEdit).

I've done a little of this kind of thing with Ableton Live and there are some amazing possibilities with computer control and automation. I just started doing an improv gig where I may try to incorporate some of that kind of thing...triggering envelopes for various things via Live clips.

So I see the option of Axe-fx MIDI in through USB, and I've turned on my Axe-fx so that it will communicate changes via USB - how do I know which channel it's communicating on when I'm using USB?

Oh wow - completely missed that page. Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to really digging into this. From the video, it looks as though he's going to reamp the track he's already made. I'm curious - if I don't want it to send the MIDI data, I would imagine I just turn off the record enable for that track - is that correct?

This is in case I want to send different MIDI messages to various tracks when I'm recording, reamping, etc - I don't want to have to go through deleting all the MIDI changes I already entered if I don't have to, you know?

I would guess just mute the track with the midi info on. Try it and see, nothing like experimentation.
I don't use Logic, but I found this video when I was figuring out how to get it working in Cubase.

Oh wow - completely missed that page. Thank you so much, I'm looking forward to really digging into this. From the video, it looks as though he's going to reamp the track he's already made. I'm curious - if I don't want it to send the MIDI data, I would imagine I just turn off the record enable for that track - is that correct?

This is in case I want to send different MIDI messages to various tracks when I'm recording, reamping, etc - I don't want to have to go through deleting all the MIDI changes I already entered if I don't have to, you know?

Yes, you could use automation and channel muting to have a ton of control and flexibility. With some interesting controller destinations, it would be fun to map the various mutes and ccs to a midi controller. Then you could reamp/remix your guitar or whatever else very intuitively. Thinking about this has got me thinking about experimenting with this kind of control again.

Back
Top Bottom