Send midi commands via USB to PC

The axe 3 CAN send cc and program changes on the usb port, BUT, the 5 pin jacks don’t speak the usb jacks and the fx pedals are not midi pedals.

In other words, I automate my axe 3 over usb from Cubase, but if I plugged a midi controller to the 5 pin midi in on the axe, the computer will never see it
There's a difference in sending FROM the Axe Fx versus TO the Axe Fx over USB.

The Axe Fx does not send midi PCs, CCs out over USB. There is midi communication via sysex for the editor, FractalBot, Cab-Lab, etc.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited:
There's a difference in sending FROM the Axe Fx versus TO the Axe Fx over USB.

The Axe Fx does not send midi out over USB.
I did not know that. I’m surprised to hear that actually. I was under the assumption that the midi jacks and the usb jack are two different midi instances.

I did not know that. I’m surprised to hear that actually. I was under the assumption that the midi jacks and the usb jack are two different midi instances.

It's incorrect to say that the Axe-FX doesn't send midi out over USB. It does, but some messages are only sent out the 5 pin midi port.

Yeah I think all traffic to and from Axe Edit and Fractal Bot is sysex messages via MIDI over USB. The limitation is that user programmed messages from the MIDI block and CS MIDI are not sent over USB and only go to the physical MIDI OUT port.

It's incorrect to say that the Axe-FX doesn't send midi out over USB. It does, but some messages are only sent out the 5 pin midi port.
Yeah I think all traffic to and from Axe Edit and Fractal Bot is sysex messages via MIDI over USB. The limitation is that user programmed messages from the MIDI block and CS MIDI are not sent over USB and only go to the physical MIDI OUT port.
True. I edited my post.

Back
Top Bottom