Selling gear on Reverb

FWIW I have a guitar on order with Sweetwater. I wound up with an unneeded Strandberg strap so I easily set up an account and listed it on their Gear Exchange program. Sold the next day. If you take payment via Sweetwater gift card they charge zero fees. You can take your cash I think the fee is app. 7%. I figured I would list some unused gear and see how much I could accumulate, on a gift card, before my guitar comes in.

Also had a good experience with Reverb, my only one so far, for a pristine UA Apollo 8 interface. Did everything thru Reverb including payment & communication till everything was finished then ended up talking with the seller for 30 minutes about the unit & music. Wish all experiences were as pleasant.

I’ve done several hundred Reverb transactions. Their fees are high but they’re slightly offset if you use the Reverb shipping label option. It’s a good deal.

Take good pictures, write an accurate description, lay out your shipping schedule and, if it’s an older piece of gear with an unknown market, allow potential buyers to make offers.

As for returns, your stated return policy doesn’t really matter. If you sell an item that is not as described or arrives broken, you will be forced to take a return. Buyer protections usually supersede seller protections.

Reverb is fine. There’s no built in scam or glaring security issue. As for the app or website not working, reboot your device.

I’ve done several hundred Reverb transactions. Their fees are high but they’re slightly offset if you use the Reverb shipping label option. It’s a good deal.

Take good pictures, write an accurate description, lay out your shipping schedule and, if it’s an older piece of gear with an unknown market, allow potential buyers to make offers.

As for returns, your stated return policy doesn’t really matter. If you sell an item that is not as described or arrives broken, you will be forced to take a return. Buyer protections usually supersede seller protections.

Reverb is fine. There’s no built in scam or glaring security issue. As for the app or website not working, reboot your device.
I just sold a guitar and shipped from California to Pennsylvania.

With their discount and including Reverb protection, it was about $65 for UPS.

FedEx and USPS were about $120 instead...

Definitely a bonus!

I've sold on reverb once and the guy said the amp wasn't working properly when it arrived. I packed it in the shipping materials it came from the builder with. I don't plan to sell a guitar there.

Most guitars listed on marketplace are also on kijiji and local-specific buy/sell groups, so there's that...

I've sold on reverb once and the guy said the amp wasn't working properly when it arrived. I packed it in the shipping materials it came from the builder with. I don't plan to sell a guitar there.

Most guitars listed on marketplace are also on kijiji and local-specific buy/sell groups, so there's that...

Guy can do the same thing on eBay, or even start calling/messaging you if you gave him your contact number, picked it up at your home via CL deal etc

Buyers remorse, free “rental” mentality etc isn’t unique to Reverb by any means

I had a guy once claim a pedal didn’t work and wanted half off, Reverb had my back, said I was protected as the seller and he didn’t get anything.

Not always the case, but it’s not as black and white as a buyer complains and they automatically get their money back and your lucky to get your item back.

For what it’s worth as well, a lot of legit transaction services like Venmo, Zelle, PayPal etc are all supposed to report to the IRS so it’s not like you can sell it here in the FAS, get a PayPal transfer and avoid the 1099. Reverb is just following the same rules as everyone else.

Cash is of course king, but not always viable to expect someone to send you an envelope of cash if it’s not a local deal

By first option is lost local, price it fair and home to get a cash deal, no fees, no reporting, no shipping, hopefully never see or hear from them again.

Other times, dude comes by, pays for pedal etc, their price of crap truck drips oil on my driveway and I spend more on cleaning products and pressure washing than I made off the cheap sale lol….

Point is, I don’t really get the hate for reverb, they provide a large market and a targeted audience and ease of listing, transaction, and even shipping.

Why the hate ?

I’m sure we probably all look on Reverb, EBay etc as buyers for pedals, guitars etc sometimes no ?

Not horrible platforms to help sell, but they are a business and not a public service after all, so why can’t they make some money for the platform.

I mean, before eBay, Reverb etc, how did we even buy and sell used gear

Swap meet, ad in the newspaper or stick a note on the wall at the music shop with your number ?

Reverb, EBay etc made it super easy to search for and buy darn near any music gear you could want.

Name a pedal, search, and I bet you’ll find a few. You can see pics, sellers feedback, know the total price, compare other sellers prices and all this is basically with a few mouse clicks….

I don’t know, I think those sites provide a pretty awesome service…..

Though like 150 some pedals later, my bank account (and wife) probably feels differently and thinks “do you know how much would be in the retirement account if you didn’t have drawers of those pedals you keep buying all the time?

Then again, my 401k lost like 14% last year and most of my pedals are probably worth well more than I originally paid for them years ago LOL

FWIW I have a guitar on order with Sweetwater. I wound up with an unneeded Strandberg strap so I easily set up an account and listed it on their Gear Exchange program. Sold the next day. If you take payment via Sweetwater gift card they charge zero fees. You can take your cash I think the fee is app. 7%. I figured I would list some unused gear and see how much I could accumulate, on a gift card, before my guitar comes in.
I think it really depends on what you’re selling through Sweetwater. I listed an amp and cab for a few weeks and got very few views. Eventuality listed on Reverb (copy/paste listing) and both sold in a couple days. I think the Sweetwater used gear service just doesn’t get much traffic yet.

Reactions: mwd
No. I'm located in Canada and the guitar store chain we have or other shops will take in gear usually at about 70% of what it would sell for. I get they need to make a margin on it. I'm looking at moving smaller items like pedals, midi controllers for now. I'm not sure I'd feel confident quite yet listing a guitar or similar higher value item. I thought I'd start with something smaller to test the waters.
I hear you about the 70%. But, if you pay seller fees and shipping, you might not come out that far ahead.

I've sold a lot of music gear on Reverb and haven't had any real problems. I do have to pay seller fees and shipping, but also don't have to deal with buyers in-person.

I think it really depends on what you’re selling through Sweetwater. I listed an amp and cab for a few weeks and got very few views. Eventuality listed on Reverb (copy/paste listing) and both sold in a couple days. I think the Sweetwater used gear service just doesn’t get much traffic yet.
May be, but don't know about the "yet", it's existed for years.

Maybe they changed the name of it at she point, but I definitely remember there being a not super active user marketplace a long time ago, years.

Really? I thought that Sweetwater Gear was just debuted in the last year or so?
Same here. Only very recently started seeing them push the initiative. And the lack of basic functions like messaging, which they said they were working on, had all the hallmarks of a new(ish) service. As Dave said, maybe it’s been rebranded and they’re finally pushing for visibility.

I hate to be that guy, but I'm not wrong about something similar existing for years, really, however it's changed or been re-announced.

Back
Top Bottom