Sell me on a PRS custom 24

I am a massive PRS fan. Used to have 7 (now have 3) - the others were more eye candy, and I wasn't playing them. That said, I am not a fan of the 22/24 families. I have fallen hopelessly in love with a 2003 no-frills McCarty that would be my desert island guitar. It's meatier than the 22/24's (thicker mahogony), and has more sustain. It has push-pull coil tapping so I can wrangle single coil tones as well. I also recently converted my 2004 McCarty Goldtop P-90 to SD mini-humbuckings. Just outstanding. Lastly, I have a pre-lawsuit PRS Singlecut Artist that I use where many would use a Les Paul. Loved the weight (and balance), the tone, the feel, and the fact that you can actually hear what the neck pickup's doing (many 'Pauls I've tried were sheer mud - YMMV).

I have a pre-lawsuit PRS Singlecut Artist that I use where many would use a Les Paul. Loved the weight (and balance), the tone, the feel, and the fact that you can actually hear what the neck pickup's doing (many 'Pauls I've tried were sheer mud - YMMV).

I agree to a certain degree... it really depended on the amp you are using. Pairing a Paul to the right Amp I always thought was the key to this lock.

If you like the PRS feel, try the 513 as well. I bought one, used it for a while and sold it. Seemed I was always looking for one of the sounds it can do. Ended up missing the sounds so much I bought another. It's been my go-to guitar since. Best I can do to the OP, never played the others.

I own a few PRS's and they are all great guitars. I suggest you try as many as you can. Even with the exceptional build quality of PRS, each one is different. My current go to guitar is a Shur Modern.

Thanks to all comments. I had a Custom 22 and sold it. It had a couple of issues that I had to end or sending it back to the factory. It was a great guitar overall. I was just in a phase of buying and selling (and losing $ in the process). Will be looking at eith the 513 or a 24 in the future!

PRS Custom 24s are great guitars - And consistently so. If I had to choose between a random Les Paul and a random CU24, I'd probably choose the CU24. But then again, it would take a seriously well made CU24 to knock my R8 off the throne as my #1 axe.

I have several PRS guitars (incl Tremonti and NS-14) but the CU24 is my favourite. Don't know why, it just feels and plays great.

Having said that none of them even come close to my Musicman Albert Lee HH which is by far the best guitar I've ever played. It's not the most expensive or best looking but it actually feels alive like a living breathing thing. Horses for courses.

I have two PRS Custom 24s. I also have a Class 5 Custom Shop Les Paul. They couldnt be more different. The PRS are much better built, and they are outstanding players. I did take the pups out of one of them and put in a set of WCR pups, and got rid of the 5 way. But the other one is stock and they both sound fantastic.

I own one better electric guitar, a Suhr Standard.

Just my $0.02.

Joe

When I was looking for a new guitar last fall the main contenders were Suhr and PRS.

I already had 2 PRS's so I was leaning towards Suhr just to get something different. However, once I tried out a PRS 408 I was swayed back towards PRS. I love the pickups and the pickup switching setup of the 408 and find it to be preferable to the custom 22 or custom 24. You can see it in my Youtube video link in my signature.

The Suhr guitars I played were all excellent guitars. I don't really see how anybody could argue though that a new USA Suhr "plays better" than a new USA PRS or vice versa. Both companies have perfected fit and finish and setup and it just depends on your playing style and preferences as far as which one is "better" for you personally.

Back
Top Bottom