Sell me on a PRS custom 24

cragginshred

Fractal Fanatic
So the custom 24 is the best selling PRS right? Also quite popular here. What tones and benefits does it offer over my Les Paul,..or more likely as an accessory axe to my Lester? Or any other random thoughts regarding this guitar, pups.....neck shapes...ect.
Don

Play one and find out.

PRS's are great guitars, as are Suhrs. I don't like either, but all that can tell you is that I have my own specific, highly subjective, preferences.

As for objectively-assessable matters, there is no disputing the build quality, the materials used or the components.

Lately I've noticed lots of people raving about the DGT as well. If you get the opportunity, maybe try both the DGT and the Custom 24?

Let's not confuse people. Suhr is just an overpriced Ibanez while PRS is the greatest guitar of all time. (j/k) :D PRS Custom 24 is always compared to a LP probably because of the glue neck. It sounds nothing like a LP. I own both. PRS sounds creamy and has amazing middle focused pickups. You can make the neck pickup sound like Slash, Santana and a Strat. Seriously. I own many guitars........ PRS is the best.

I don't beleive there is a best guitar! Every single person has a different perfect!!It's what fits you and becomes one with you when you play it! For me it's my LP Axess ,Absolutely love it ! I can play it unplugged and feel the interaction through the feel and resonance, I will even look at times to see if its really unplugged! Same with my strat and taylor acoustic ! Play as many as you can you will know when it's the right one!!!

It sounds nothing like a LP... You can make the neck pickup sound like Slash....

Haha I think thats why people say that they sound like LPs :)

I love how PRS guitars look and sound and I really want to love how they feel, but I just dont for some reason. They are fantastic guitars, but I have yet to play one that I feel really comfortable on. I dont own one so maybe its just that I am not used to them.

So the custom 24 is the best selling PRS right? Also quite popular here. What tones and benefits does it offer over my Les Paul,..or more likely as an accessory axe to my Lester? Or any other random thoughts regarding this guitar, pups.....neck shapes...ect.
Don

I would say what it offers over your Paul is it doesn't weigh a ton and will sound more open. You just need t go pick one up and play it for a few minutes. As to neck shapes I like the Standard carve the wide thin is nice but I don't find as comfortable wile the wide fat has a little more on the back side. All three carves are playable but I find the Standard to be the easiest to get use to.

I've jammed on my buddies PRS 24....I wasnt a big fan, but both times were just at practice for a song or two...and then at a show after I busted a string. So really havent gotten a chance to sit down with one and run its course. I wasnt impressed....during the show, the one volume knob kept getting rolled down from my picking hand. Didnt really care for the scale length or the neck profile.....

...few fans said it looked like a toy on my compared to my Washburn Dime Blackjack...mind you i'm just over 6'3", and my other guitar player is probably around 5'7"....and I didnt adjust the strap....lol...

I owned my first PRS in 1992.. only one I've owned so far though. I've played some that really made me smile, but way more that did not. So, like any other make, you gotta find the right one. I like the specs on the DGT models for my preferences, although the few I've played that were for sale didn't work for me. Still looking.. One thing I really like about PRSi vs. many other brands are the trems. Killer for adding that slight shimmer trem on clean or low drive stuff...

I'm a huge PRS fan. It's just my opinion, but I've yet to find another guitar (and believe me, I've tried) that plays as well and is built as well as a PRS. Every PRS I've ever played (brand new and not at Guitar Center) was set up perfectly. Action was low with no buzzing.

This also applies to their SE line, which represent a monumental value for the dollar IMO. I've played several USA models and even owned a P22 for a while. I eventually sold it because I just couldn't justify having a $3300 guitar when both of my $700 SE models played just as well. Sure, there's a few things that could be better on the SE models such as the pickups, nut, and tuners, but they make a great base for mods. I have a limited amount of $$ that can be tied up in guitars so I'd rather have several lower-priced ones that I can mod vs. 1 or 2 high $$ guitars. With most lower priced guitars, you have to sacrifice playability. Not so with the SE line, which I find to be a rarity in the guitar marketplace.

I think in the end you have to just play a Custom 24 to see if it's what you're looking for. It's a big chunk of change. Personally, I think PRS guitars play better than Les Pauls and are made better. Tonewise, there's a difference but it's not huge (such as comparing a Strat with a Les Paul). Ultimately, nothing sounds like a Les Paul except a Les Paul. With a Custom 24, the tone is naturally going to be different from a LP due to the 24 fret neck (and most likely the pickups).

I recommend you play one. I have yet to meet a PRS that I like and I've played everything from the SE -> Tremonti Signature. I sold my SE (that I won in a radio competition) for $200 because I couldn't stand it.

The best playing guitar I ever owned was my '91 PRS Custom 24 with a wide-thin neck. Unfortunately I had to sell it, which I regret to this day.

I bought a '94 Custom 24 Ten Top back in '94 because it was pretty. It's the only guitar I've owned that needed no setup. I find the wide thin neck to be a little thin for my tastes now & the thing is so pretty that I just leave it locked up in the safe. I should pull it out again and try it with V10.

$T2eC16J,!zcE9s4g0t59BRVGisRSRQ~~60_12.jpg
I just got this a week ago , its a 22 fret which has a little more room to play at top , the neck is a wide this which is pretty start like to me a little thinner , its fast and the pickups are fat and brite ...I hate the rotary control but will live with it ...trem is great ..it does sound a bit honky sometimes tho;)

View attachment 16008
I just got this a week ago , its a 22 fret which has a little more room to play at top , the neck is a wide this which is pretty start like to me a little thinner , its fast and the pickups are fat and brite ...I hate the rotary control but will live with it ...trem is great ..it does sound a bit honky sometimes tho;)

I'm with you... can't stand the rotary knob, grab the three way toggle push / pull drop in that PRS makes and you will love it makes all the difference in the world.

OK, here goes...(sorry if this ends up a little long).

First - for the OP - you need to check out a few sites:

PRS Guitars | Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Amplifiers and Accessories
Official PRS Guitars Forum
http://www.vintagerocker.com/forum/forum.html

and

Electric Guitars, Acoustic Guitars, Amps, Accessories & more | Wildwood Guitars
Online Guitar Store

(no affiliation with the above stores other than being a thrilled customer of Wildwood; talk to Lance or Troy)

I use a Cu24 as my #1 now - and I was a Strat player for years, and still have a few. There are several PRS here, including two Cu24s. I have other instruments including Gibson, Fender, Ibanez, Parker. I reach for the PRS and Strats first.

There are a few key things to know.

Build quality on all PRS is superlative. I would buy any without having played it first, and have done so a few times, including both new and used guitars. There is "discussion" about whether the "pre-factory" guitars are better. While the very earliest production Cu24s (mid-80's) are more valuable, most people seem to agree that the guitars are as good or better than they have ever been.

There are multiple neck carves. At one time it was wide-thin, wide-fat, etc. Now they are pattern thin, pattern, pattern regular (I think that is correct). My Cu24's are both wide-thin but I have PRS with other necks. The only one I don't particularly like is the 513 neck, which is a special carve that is deeper than normal. At any rate, if you are sensitive to neck carves, consider that carefully before buying. I can say that a wide-thin does not feel as wide or thin as, say, a Parker Fly or Ibanez Satriani. Wide-fat to me feels closer to a 59 Les Paul carve; not identical, but closer.

There are multiple switch configurations, as pointed out above. Both my Cu24s are 5-way rotaries. This is the weakest spot in some ways because the rotary is just harder to switch, though it becomes easier with practice. "McCarty switching" puts a three-way toggle in place of the rotary and can be done as a conversion. To do this, the rotary switch hole has to be reamed slightly for the larger switch; but the rotary can still be put back afterward. Newer Cu24s come with 5-way blade switches. I wish mine had that. Rotary cannot be converted (at least not easily; maybe the PRS tech center (PTC) would do it, and put a second tone or volume in the leftover hole). Maybe I will trade some guitars to get the blade, but I love mine now.

There are multiple pickup configurations. The original was HFS (Hot Fat and Screams) for the bridge, and VB (Vintage Bass) for the neck. Both my Cu24s have this. I like the pickups generally, but would rather have either the 57/08 or 59/09 pickups (more vintage-sounding; do some reading on the PRS site and forum links above for more information). The VB is actually fine for me; the HFS, not so much.

If you're looking for something closer to your Les Paul, the PRS DGT (David Grisson Tremolo) model is the ticket. The one gripe you might have is that the DGT neck carve is narrow, and your technique needs to be clean. However, DGTs now come in other neck carves. They are only 22 fret necks.

Hope this helps.

Dave

I'm with you... can't stand the rotary knob, grab the three way toggle push / pull drop in that PRS makes and you will love it makes all the difference in the world.

And then put some Seympur Duncan Triple Shot pickup rings on it so that you can still get the single coil sounds if you want them. :)

Back
Top Bottom