Selecting Layouts with external pedal

lwknives

Power User
I have all the stand in switches used up. Is there a way to select a different layout with one of the pedal switches?

Not sure what you're asking here.

A stand-in switch is a logical assignment. Do you mean "external switch"?

What is a "pedal switch"? Are you meaning using a switch with a pedal jack on the FC?

Sorry, I mean using one of the pedal ports with a switch plugged into it. I’m already using all 4 external switches for their stand in functionality.
What I want to do is use a momentary switch in pedal port 2 to select a different layout.

I don't think that is possible... Because you really need a stand-in switch to select a layout from an external.

The MLM (Master Layout), on layout 9, is like a central jumping-off place to other layouts. It might be possible to tell it to load with an external switch, but usually it's a two-switch combination and is always available on the FM9 or FX3 if I remember correctly. You wouldn't need an external switch to jump to it then.

On the FC12 attached to my FX3, it's the bottom right switch, hold it down, then press the top-right switch.

PS - see p. 11 in the Footswitch Functions Guide.

Last edited:
The MLM (Master Layout), on layout 9, is like a central jumping-off place to other layouts. It might be possible to tell it to load with an external switch, but usually it's a two-switch combination and is always available on the FM9 or FX3 if I remember correctly. You wouldn't need an external switch to jump to it then.

On the FC12 attached to my FX3, it's the bottom right switch, hold it down, then press the top-right switch.

PS - see p. 11 in the Footswitch Functions Guide.
My current solution is to use the hold function on one of my FC12 switches.
It would be nice to just tap a switch to toggle between two layouts.
I am currently using an FC12 switch for tap tempo so I could also use that switch for layout toggle and use the external switch for tempo, then I lose the tempo read out though…

My current solution is to use the hold function on one of my FC12 switches.
It would be nice to just tap a switch to toggle between two layouts.
I am currently using an FC12 switch for tap tempo so I could also use that switch for layout toggle and use the external switch for tempo, then I lose the tempo read out though…
It sounds like you're familiar with the layout manager. The default FX3+FC12 layouts have a lot of real estate to work with, almost too much. I decided to default all my FC and FM9 layouts to use the top right switch for tap-tempo as a tap, and tuner as the hold function, then, if a particular layout gets too crowded, I'll use a per-preset override if I need to pull something else in and have something that doesn't apply to that particular layout.

I'll occasionally experiment with different layouts just to learn, and I'll paint myself into a corner with the FC because I haven't thought through what I'm trying to do so I'll put it on a back-burner and come back to it a day or two later and often have a new way to look at it. It helps that I have the two smaller siblings also because the FM3+FC6 with the OMG9 layouts is quite a mind-blower with how to think about wiring up the layouts; The same is true of the OFM9G layout that comes with the FM9. You don't say which modeler you're using, but if you can save "all-layouts" and revert to one of the factory layouts and nose around in it you might find some fun little tricks that'll give you a different way of going about what you want to do. You can always reload the all-layouts file if you want to revert to the saved version.

I have the Axe FX III with an FC12 with 6 external switches haha! I’m basically trying to get everything I need for a setlist in one preset but still be able to get all my sounds with minimal tap dancing.
Scene ignore was a huge breakthrough but there are still little details to work out.

Back
Top Bottom