Selecting a Specific Scene in a Preset - via MIDI

I wish to be able to a button on my FC controller not only select a preset- but also a specific scene in that preset.

As example:

FC Button 1 when on —> preset 200 , scene 1
FC Button 2 when on —> preset 200 , scene 3

Any thoughts, creative:alternative solutions would be helpful….

Thanks

I don't have a Fractal controller so I don't know if you can do this, but on my Morningstar MC8 I would just assign the button to send a program change command followed by the scene selection command with one button push via midi.

DaveW beat me to it.

I think that selecting scenes is not a standard MIDI command and a System Exclusive command may be needed. Just don’t know if I can have a FC controller do this or go down the RJM Mastermind route. My two FC12’s have been great otherwise for controlling 4 amps 4cabs through a KHE 4x4FX switcher

I am looking at future expansion with a second KHE 4x4FX and will be limited by the 6 FX3 switches and 9 FC pages.

I can do basic additional controls via a MELO midi pedal for the second KHE - a little clumsy as womt automatically then switch axe preset to match selected amp. Curreently my AXE can be used to select any cab/ amp combo and apply the appropriate amp preset controlling both itself, a voodoo switcher for amp channels and the KHE switcher

Hmm

I think that selecting scenes is not a standard MIDI command and a System Exclusive command may be needed. Just don’t know if I can have a FC controller do this or go down the RJM Mastermind route. My two FC12’s have been great otherwise for controlling 4 amps 4cabs through a KHE 4x4FX switcher

I am looking at future expansion with a second KHE 4x4FX and will be limited by the 6 FX3 switches and 9 FC pages.

I can do basic additional controls via a MELO midi pedal for the second KHE - a little clumsy as womt automatically then switch axe preset to match selected amp. Curreently my AXE can be used to select any cab/ amp combo and apply the appropriate amp preset controlling both itself, a voodoo switcher for amp channels and the KHE switcher

Hmm
Scene selection via midi is as simple as assigning a CC number to that function in the Axe Fx. Then you program your controller to send a midi CC command to that CC number with a value from 0 to 7, which correspond to Scene 1 to 8. Easy peasy.

I may not have been clear enough

I am trying to be able to have one button control not only the preset, but the scene within that preset when selected

Ie:

FC1 when hit - preset 2 scene 5
FC 2 when hit - preset 3. Scene 8
FC 3 when bit - preset 2 scene 1

That combo change is what I am finding challenging

Yes. On my Morningstar MC8, I can program up to 16 midi commands to be sent in response to a single button push. The thing you're trying to do would only require two commands to be programmed for the button(s) you want to use. Following your example, button 1 would be programmed to first send a program change command to select preset 2 on the Axe Fx, followed by a CC command using the CC number you assigned to the scene selection function in the Axe Fx, with value 4. Button 2 would be programmed to send a program change command to change to preset 3, followed by a scene selection CC command with value 7. Button 3 would be programmed to send a program change command to change to preset 2, followed by a scene selection CC command with value 0. If the Axe is already on preset 2 when you hit button 3, it will just stay on preset 2 and select scene 8. Again these are with single button pushes.

I may not have been clear enough

I am trying to be able to have one button control not only the preset, but the scene within that preset when selected

Ie:

FC1 when hit - preset 2 scene 5
FC 2 when hit - preset 3. Scene 8
FC 3 when bit - preset 2 scene 1

That combo change is what I am finding challenging

Matt's method would work.

You can also make multiple copies of the same preset but saved to a different "opening" scene and then just select that specific preset on the FC controller.

Just save Preset 1 as:

000 Preset 1 - Scene 1
001 Preset 1 - Scene 2
002 Preset 1 - Scene 3

etc as eight separate presets and then select the one you wish via foot controller.

To be clear, the FCs are not using midi commands.

You can change both preset and scene via midi (PC followed by CC).

Scenes are changed based on the value of the CC.

Another solution would be to enable PC Mapping on your Axe FX. This allows mapping a specific program change to a different preset+scene combination.

This works for both midi PCs and FC preset changes.

Check the Fractal Audio Footswitch Function Guide for details on configuring your FC switches.

I will try the multiple preset route for each scene I want per RoshRoslin. Not optimal, but should work as I don't think the FC controller itself can send the PC to the AXE unit. I set the PC Mapping up nicely (thanks), but don't see on FC edit how to send a MIDI command when the FC button is pressed, when I am already using CS MIDI 1-4 for other functions. (just not enough Control Switches)

Last edited:
I will try the multiple preset route for each scene I want per RoshRoslin. Not optimal, but should work as I don't think the FC controller itself can send the PC to the AXE unit. I set the PC Mapping up nicely (thanks), but don't see on FC edit how to send a MIDI command when the FC button is pressed, when I am already using CS MIDI 1-4 for other functions. (just not enough Control Switches)
Where do you need midi in this equation?

The FC will change presets with a button and (I believe) is overruled by PC Mapping.

Again, the FC isn't using midi PCs/CCs to control the Axe Fx.

I don't have a Fractal controller so I don't know if you can do this, but on my Morningstar MC8 I would just assign the button to send a program change command followed by the scene selection command with one button push via midi.

DaveW beat me to it.
I used to have the Nektar Pacer which was great very similar to your MC8. Just recently got a Line6 HX Effects and now use that which is not as good midi wise but allows integration of the Line Helix effects and amps with the FX3. All good fun.

Isn’t that technically what songs/setlists is for? Different songs are technically different presets and you can select from any scene or section of the song/preset I think

Back
Top Bottom