Selected Switch Shown in Inverse

ethomas1013

Fractal Fanatic
When you turn on/off a switch, the selected switch display is shown in "inverse" in the display. Ok, not so bad, because I just clicked it and it serves to show which effect will be edited if I press the Edit button. It also shows which button I am editing if I want to change the button assignments. Seems logical.

Problem is, on the gig, with the inverse display it is VERY hard to tell whether the effect is on or off by looking a the display. For example, button 1 is shown in inverse, toggle to preset 2, and button 1 is still shown in inverse. At a glance I cannot tell whether it is actually toggled on/off while standing with the AX8 on the floor. Ok, simply look at the red light, you say. But that means I have to look a the screen to see which effect is assigned to which button and then at the red light above the button to see if it's on or off for the button that is displayed in inverse. Doesn't see too bad, but trust me it's annoying on the gig.

Just curious if anyone else has notice this, and would like to see a change. I suggest the following:
  • If I use the NAV wheel to scroll through the buttons, then show it to me as inverse while using the nav wheel. Have it revert to the normal display a few seconds after I stop scrolling with the NAV wheel
  • If I turn on/off an effect with a switch, NEVER show it to me in inverse. I want to clearly see the on/off status of the effect (dashed or solid outline)
I hope that made sense... I know there are not a lot of AX8 users out there yet, but would anyone else like to see this changed?

Always put your delay on the same footswitch, Same with modulations. OD/Dist, etc...

I've not had one single modeler that I could rely on the display to read while standing, I just don't have the luxury of looking down and "reading"... And the AX8's display is no where near big enough to even think I can read it at a glance. 5.5 feet below my eyes. I'm singing or over in the middle of the stage being an "entertainer" (or goof ball)... and have to quickly engage an effect of patch change or boost... I also know exactly what is assigned in every patch I use... (about 6 or so actively used presets)

I caught myself having the same issue BUT since those are assigned to footswitches. Use the display just to remind you of what each switch is assigned to. Remember though to use the switch lights to tell whether the effect is bypassed or not. Because it is helpful to quickly edit those blocks in the patch.

Yes, I'm using Global switch assignments for Drive 1, Delay 1, and Filter 1 (which I use for a 3db boost). So, I have to get use to looking at the switches instead of the screen for the on/off state of those particular functions.

But I still find the inverse display very distracting and would prefer to have it only shown monetarily as suggested in the OP.

I'm also coming from a Liquid Foot+ Jr+ with the individual LED's on each footswitch. That was so awesome...

Just a thought... maybe the inverse display should be used for active blocks, and the dotted border for the selected block.

That would stray from how the Axe FX II screen looks, but the Axe FX II screen is primarily for editing, whereas the AX8/FX8 screens are for performance and editing. When editing on the floorboards, you'll be closer to the screen and can more easily discern which block is selected. When playing, you'll be further away and need a clear indication of bypass states.

Maybe the LEDs and those fancy Kicktags are the solution.

Kick tags are only good if you use the same button assignments in every preset. I don't really see those as helping and never bothered to get them when I had a MFC. My solution was to go the Liquid Foot+ instead of the MFC....

But that's really irrelevant to this discussion. I'm just looking for a better indication of the on/off status of each effect in the display and the inverse display of the active block is hampering that, IMO, and really not even useful in a performance setting.

Just a thought... maybe the inverse display should be used for active blocks, and the dotted border for the selected block.

That would stray from how the Axe FX II screen looks, but the Axe FX II screen is primarily for editing, whereas the AX8/FX8 screens are for performance and editing. When editing on the floorboards, you'll be closer to the screen and can more easily discern which block is selected. When playing, you'll be further away and need a clear indication of bypass states.

Maybe the LEDs and those fancy Kicktags are the solution.

That's a good point considering the difference in the primary ways the AX8 will be used. I think thats a good idea. Even would somewhat work in the axe fx to an extent.

This is actually an idea that Joe and I discussed, but getting a bug-free release firmware was a priority.
Maybe someday we can return our attention to optimizing the FS display for a standing player.
This is why we have upgradeable firmware, right? ;-)

iu

Matt, count another vote for revisiting this issue when you have the time. For me the priority would also be easily seeing bypass states as easily as possible.

Thx!

Back
Top Bottom