Seems the Tube Snobs Have Been Right All Along

I’ve been a Fractal addict since purchasing an Ultra in 2010.

Having spent recent weeks with 18beta and the latest Ultra-Res cab offerings, if you told me I had to choose between only a single (insert favorite amp model here) on V18 or go back to a prior version but still have all the amp models, I’d choose the former. Just sayin’.

It’s certainly a privilege to not have to make that decision and continue to have over 200 great choices combined with incredible versatility. It’s actually pretty unbelievable, I can’t imagine losing my Fractal virginity today on XL V18 vs. Ultra V5ish, although that was still quite an enjoyable experience as well.

Thanks to Cliff and the FAS team for 5 great years (for me) so far. The sex just keeps getting better.

I have to admit that it was difficult at first. The modeling and IR technology has improved, and our sound reproduction options have improved as well.

I haven't played any tube amp (let alone the many very fine ones I used to own) since owning an Axe FX (full-time, without looking back, that is), and I don't really miss it... eh... that much.

Seriously though, you're right. And, it's a great time to be able to play guitar.

Honestly, I still think they are wrong.

Being a former tube snob myself, I found that my old Marshall JCM 800, JMP-1, and 1960A cab were pretty much a one show pony compared to setting up a Brit800, and a Marshall IR cab in my Axe-FX. If I so desired, I could easily dial in the tone of my old rig, and be pretty much spot on with that. But then I can go and tweak the bright cap to shave off a bit of that annoying brittleness I could never get rid of, and not just that, I can set the bright cap to a capacitance that they don't actually sell a capacitor for. Or, I can go in and dial the lows back with the low cut, so I'm not stepping all over my bassist, then tighten up the mids with a Mark 5 style EQ (on a Marshall no less) pop in some KT88's, drop the voltage with a variac, crank the master to 11, pull the output down to a manageable level, so as not bug the neighbors while I get the best tone I've ever heard coming through my in ears, AND still get that same great tone live.

Yeah, I don't see myself buying another tube amp any time soon, unless it's one of those tiny toaster amps, just cause they are cool looking.

I kind of second the sentiment tho... I was starting to have the slightest bit of gas for a good tube amp, something that I could dime the output section on. Been researching goodsells, friedmans, divided by 13's, and morgans and then v18 came out. Found the dirty shirley model and I seriously have 0 gas for anything else now

Since I got my XL last year, I've turned on my Boogie Mark IV all of once. My collection of pedals (homemade and bought) now just collect dust. All that stuff is probably going to find a new home soon (and fund another CLR cab and maybe an MFC-101 :devilish: )

Honestly, I still think they are wrong.

Being a former tube snob myself, I found that my old Marshall JCM 800, JMP-1, and 1960A cab were pretty much a one show pony compared to setting up a Brit800, and a Marshall IR cab in my Axe-FX. If I so desired, I could easily dial in the tone of my old rig, and be pretty much spot on with that. But then I can go and tweak the bright cap to shave off a bit of that annoying brittleness I could never get rid of, and not just that, I can set the bright cap to a capacitance that they don't actually sell a capacitor for. Or, I can go in and dial the lows back with the low cut, so I'm not stepping all over my bassist, then tighten up the mids with a Mark 5 style EQ (on a Marshall no less) pop in some KT88's, drop the voltage with a variac, crank the master to 11, pull the output down to a manageable level, so as not bug the neighbors while I get the best tone I've ever heard coming through my in ears, AND still get that same great tone live.

Yeah, I don't see myself buying another tube amp any time soon, unless it's one of those tiny toaster amps, just cause they are cool looking.
And do it all in about 5min instead of 5 hours or more.

Initially I spent time creating a preset to replicate my Marshall Tube setup but then I thought, why bother recreating tones that are already out there. With the Axe-Fx I can invent new combinations, my own sound, something I could never do before.

Initially I spent time creating a preset to replicate my Marshall Tube setup but then I thought, why bother recreating tones that are already out there. With the Axe-Fx I can invent new combinations, my own sound, something I could never do before.

I like to program for the song. I don't care about duplicating anything. If I've written a cool riff, and it has a certain thing that needs to be accented a certain way, to come across the way I intended it, then I'm going to tweak till it comes out sounding just right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two grail amps, ever since I was a kid were the Silver Jubilee and a SLO-100.
I was fortunate enough to be able to buy them a few years ago and have really enjoyed them, no rose colored nostalgia glasses here.

I picked up my XL last year.
The amps lasted about a month before selling them off (along with the rest of my collection).
Zero regrets, I'm happier with my sound, both live and in-studio than I ever have been in my life and, as I related in another post recently, my musical stylings have expanded as a result of my being able to experiment more easily (and more cheaply).

I read the OP, but nothing about tubes or snobs.

I was simply trying to draw an analogy between the decision a one- or two-channel tube amp player (who is extremely happy with that tone) might need to make versus using the AxeFX with multiple amp models. They ( or we - I own several tube amps myself) typically make the argument that, although modelling is quite good, it's still lacking a very important 2% (for lack of a better percentage) of "tube amp magic". With each firmware upgrade, Cliff continues to dig into that 2% (or .005% or whatever).

Since I rarely post, I was really just trying to think of a clever way to say thank you to FAS. Quite frankly, Cliff "had me at 95%". I've used Fractal exclusively as my live and recording rig since I bought it, with or without my tube amps. FW18 has also FAR EXCEEDED my expectations, and that's really my fundamental point. I had already made my choice on the versatility of FAS vs tubes years ago, and FW18 just pushed that choice way over the top.

I also greatly appreciate the expertise and insight that this forum has to offer - thanks to all of you that offer great tips, tricks, advice, and patches!

I think someone who's taken the journey from the ultra to the AFX 2 and through all of the FW updates will appreciate it more than someone like me who just stepped in at it's peak.

As you mentioned in the OP... I 'lost my virginity' with 17.04, and due to other commitments, I haven't even tried FW 18 beta, and won't be able to until March 16th. By then, it'll probably be full blown FW 18.

To be honest, I haven't been able to sit down with the AFX 2 long enough to appreciate it. I can't wait until I can actually spend time making music with it instead of just tinkering with it like I have so far.

I got my Axe-Fx XL in November 2014, and before that had my Marshall tube amp for about 5 years. I had played live/home countless times with the good ol' Marshall, and told my wife on many occasions how it great it sounded, how it was THE perfect amp for me....blah blah blah. I stopped playing the Marshall in December, and 5 days ago I plugged it in again for a jam, and could NOT find a decent sound out of it anymore.

Fractal, what have you done to me!?!? :D

I don't feel that strongly about v18 vs prior FWs, I am still trying to get some patches straightened out in fact.

But I divested myself of my last legit piece of tube gear (save one preamp that is not worth anything and a couple of hybrid amps (again not worth anything used)) after I upgraded from Ultra to II. I had held onto that one amp after selling off almost everything else in Ultra mode and THAT amp seemed pointless... I had not used that last amp well over a year before firing it up to make sure it was in good condition for sale.

No regrets, quite the opposite in fact. Best tone ever.

I don't feel that strongly about v18 vs prior FWs, I am still trying to get some patches straightened out in fact.

But I divested myself of my last legit piece of tube gear (save one preamp that is not worth anything and a couple of hybrid amps (again not worth anything used)) after I upgraded from Ultra to II. I had held onto that one amp after selling off almost everything else in Ultra mode and THAT amp seemed pointless... I had not used that last amp well over a year before firing it up to make sure it was in good condition for sale.

No regrets, quite the opposite in fact. Best tone ever.

what's your honest opinion about FW18? you're one of the 1st that hasn't been raving about it...

My opinion of the clips themselves have been 'meh' in comparison to 17.04. I can't hear a HUGE difference in the clips - although I think most would agree that the allure of the AFX is the feel, not just the tone itself. What's your opinion?

I agree absolutely with OP. I have been along for the ride since the Ultra, too. I don't say it enough because I don't post that much, but firmware 18.0 makes a great box that much better: Thank you Cliff and Fractal team for your relentless pursuit of tone. You have made the world a much better place for guitar players.

what's your honest opinion about FW18? you're one of the 1st that hasn't been raving about it...
It's a fine update. It deserves to be applauded. I have no doubt it is more accurate and from a technical standpoint a significant milestone. It feels more 'open' for lack of a better word, some amps have had a little edge taken off which requires MV adjustments, etc. But the net effect for me has been mild; not because the update is not good, but because, for me, 17.x was already amazeballs.

The OP said he would trade all of the 17.x models for one FW18 model which for me to say would be untrue and feels kind of like hype (again, for me). As with past firmware updates, certain areas improve, if those things are a big part of your tone or something you were really missing then it'll seem like a revelation. If it is something that is not a major component of your musical style/tone. You're going to say, "Nice, thx for the update" and move along.

If you are into amps like Trainwrecks, this update is sex in a box for you. I only play stuff like that here and there. I can see why someone who does those tones is going bananas and I'm thankful for the improvements that give that but am not likely to be using them much.

My reaction was similar Karl H's mostly because I think we like the same stuff: 17.x was awesome; this is also awesome, but subtle. Again, for the types of tones I do and type of feel I notice/prefer.

Some of us are only so subtle. LOL.

Last edited:
Having Gas my whole life for Effects, Amp's, GUitars, and other gear is fun but also draining at times. The Axe II has killed my gas for any type of AMP and has reduced my effects Gas to almost none. But damn it's made my guitar gas grow!!! I want guitars like mad now, I am more curious of how I can push not only myself but those guitarist with the Axe II, as it gives us so many tools at our disposal!!!

Back
Top Bottom