Seeking guidance from acoustic finger style players

rlm11

I'm a newbie to the fx II xl+. I play primarily finger style acoustic and purchased my xl+ after struggling to get an amplified sound that came close to the natural sound of my McPherson. I've had some success using ToneMatch and am overall pleased, however, I know I can do better.

I am looking to learn and share with anyone that uses the xl+ extensively for live acoustic guitar playing. Please share your advice, links and thoughts. Thanks!

Last edited:
I use the peq to hpf to about 80hz, then pull a little 300-400 out with a fairly narrow q to lose some of the plunkiness. Then a high shelf rise of about 3 db at Around 8k to add some air and it sounds great. I have a compressor (studio) to grab the peaks sometimes, a little of the London Plate verb (12-15% mix) and use the enhancer to boost about 3-4 db for quieter parts in a band setting. Those setting work with my Lowden that has a Sunrise pickup, a Granata with a passive fishman piezo, and a Collings with a K&K pure western.

I use my Taylor 814ce direct into the AxeFx II XL for 100% of my performances, powered by (2) or (3) CLR speakers.
My presets are kept simple, with basic compressor & PEQ blocks, tube pre tweezed to taste, a cab block with null or tone match block and generous amounts of reverb. Oh, that glorious fractal reverb. Scrumptious.

I've learned a lot by searching out YouTube vids from our fractal family regarding setting up acoustic presets. This one from Cooper Carter was gold for me.

I don't use my XL+ for my acoustic only rig anymore, but the best I did was to use the Live mode tone match.

The reference was the output of a microphone -> preamp setup like I would normally track acoustic guitar.

The local was the output of the guitar's built-in under-saddle pickup.

What I thought would take to the next level would be to:

1. Mic the guitar using an X/Y microphone setup.
2. Tone match each mic separately in Live mode.
3. Export the tone match'es as Cabs.

Load up the two tone matched Cabs and pan then L/R.

Back
Top Bottom