SEEKING FOR A GOOD PATCH FOR A ZAKK WYLDE TONE

antony71p

can someone post a patch with zakks tone or any tips how to achive that tone ?
i have used diffrent approaches but still i think i am far away
i have a guitar with emgs 81-85 and using the matrix gt-1000 with a marshall cab 4x12 gt12-t75

ps : i also know that it comes out from his fingers but i am tryin to do my best

Try the marshally flavoured amps like the jcm800 (with a drive block in front if it) the Friedman, Splawn etc. Try changing tube type to 6550/Kt88 as Zakk doesn't use el34s.

A lot of Zakks sound seems to be the result of hitting the first stage of the amp hard with a pedal. Up until recently I think he was using a boss pedal (!) for this- but I quite like the blues driver with the level pushed high and the drive down low.

Try a cab IR with EV12Ls.

Also, there's a good thread somewhere around here about compression... Have a read of that. It really helps to make the amp more forgiving for big fat sustaining pinched harmonics.

thanks a lot, any suggestions about the drive pedal settings or the amp settings ?

Try the marshally flavoured amps like the jcm800 (with a drive block in front if it) the Friedman, Splawn etc. Try changing tube type to 6550/Kt88 as Zakk doesn't use el34s.

A lot of Zakks sound seems to be the result of hitting the first stage of the amp hard with a pedal. Up until recently I think he was using a boss pedal (!) for this- but I quite like the blues driver with the level pushed high and the drive down low.

Try a cab IR with EV12Ls.

Also, there's a good thread somewhere around here about compression... Have a read of that. It really helps to make the amp more forgiving for big fat sustaining pinched harmonics.

Ymmv- but this is how I' d approach this.

I'd start with everything at noon on the amp and slam the front end with the level control of the drive block. Work out where the sweet spot is between the gain on the amp and the level on the pedal.

I often find that the amp gain needs to be reduced as the pedal level is increased.

From there you can tweak treble, mid and bass to taste. Low frequency resonance in the speaker tab of the amp block is your friend here too. Look at that before pushing the bass control in the tone stack too high.

Zakks rig is very very simple in real life.

Once you've set up for kt88s and got the 'feel' right with the speaker resonance and the gain relationship between the pedal and the amp, you can do a lot with just the gain, bass, mid, treble and presence in the amp block.

thank you very much for your help
i will try your approach and post the patch here so you can tell me if i make any ''mistakes''
Ymmv- but this is how I' d approach this.

I'd start with everything at noon on the amp and slam the front end with the level control of the drive block. Work out where the sweet spot is between the gain on the amp and the level on the pedal.

I often find that the amp gain needs to be reduced as the pedal level is increased.

From there you can tweak treble, mid and bass to taste. Low frequency resonance in the speaker tab of the amp block is your friend here too. Look at that before pushing the bass control in the tone stack too high.

Zakks rig is very very simple in real life.

Once you've set up for kt88s and got the 'feel' right with the speaker resonance and the gain relationship between the pedal and the amp, you can do a lot with just the gain, bass, mid, treble and presence in the amp block.

Hey

One good tip is do tone match ,whit original guitar track. But you then must use ,frfr cabs or pa systems.

can someone post a patch with zakks tone or any tips how to achive that tone ?
i have used diffrent approaches but still i think i am far away
i have a guitar with emgs 81-85 and using the matrix gt-1000 with a marshall cab 4x12 gt12-t75

ps : i also know that it comes out from his fingers but i am tryin to do my best

Not to get off topic here, but doesn't Zakk use a lot of chorus or is that something else? I'm not really an effects guy myself, but it just sounds like he's always got some kind of modulation going on.

Hey

I found some settings ,don't know is these right but you can test.

Zakk Wylde uses JCM800's modded by Lee Jackson. His amp settings are Bass - 10, mid - 3, highs - 10, presence - 2-3, preamp volume - 10, master volume - 6-7, than Boss SD1 all knobs set at 1 oclock except for drive which can be set at 2 oclock

If I remember right Zakk Wylde tone was almost allways ,Marshall JCM800 2203 and distortion pedal front of amp. And today I believe he is using ,Electro Voice EVM12L elements in her guitar cabinets. And he was use chorus pedal ,to get little bit bigger guitar tone. And big part was also ,mahogany guitar and EMG pickups.

Hey

Yes chorus Is one of big part her tone.

Not to get off topic here, but doesn't Zakk use a lot of chorus or is that something else? I'm not really an effects guy myself, but it just sounds like he's always got some kind of modulation going on.

As Sasha said Zakk use strong modulation in his sound... Try to put a parallel path with a detuner ...mix 100 Lv100
Detuning something between -6/-8 and + 9/11 ... Then use the input effect to feed the right amount ... The sound of Zakk as all this dirty blues me taller is huge so you have to ear the dry signal very round and not muffled by the modulation ...
I think detuner block has hi pass and low pass ... Well sure use the hi pass avoiding the low notes to be modulated ... Not good at hall to have low frequencies a.k.a slow sines been alternated by strong modulation ... So maybe start hi passing 150hz or something like that ...

Avoid using different modulation at same time ... No chorus and flanger or pitch and phaser ... One at time very focused and musical exciting

You can use as amp several Marshal type amps ... I suggest to you Friedman HBE ... Medium/ low gain
A clean drive type ... Ts808/mod Zendrive FasLed drive between 0 and 1.00. Lv between 7/10
before tweaking for the modulation ... Search for a Ir you like not been too harsh

If You read Cliff awesome note about Input trim ... Try to play with master volume / drive / in
tu trim to find the magic spot to your ears ... And remember ... Better to find a great sounding patch to your ears and be happy than being all-time A/B to copy something that is Impossible to emulate... Other musician finger

Peace !!

NOWAY!!!! Talking about Zakk now You HAVE TO KICK SOME F****** ASS with your guitars !!

There are a couple of Mark Day "Van Halenesque" patches available for download via Axe-Change (search: MarkDay). I find that if if I reduce the reverb and delay and adjust the drive, and reduce the mix for the Flanger to 20 percent, I achieve a righteous Zak patch that is brilliant for shredding and general mayhem with a Les Paul through Mackie HR824 stuidio monitors (this is from memory so if for some reason his patches have no Flanger in the sequence, then add one at the beginning of the chain and reduce mix to 20 percent). I have always found Mr. Day's patches to be amazingly musical and a great jumping board for other patches that seem tailor made for raising the devil! Mr. Day is the primary reason I (and legions of others) joined the Fractal Family.

I use the axefx ultra and get pretty close using the slo100 patch everything at noon with the mids around 10-11 o-clock. Add Chorus, delay and reverb to taste. My axe gos from a artsla2 into 2 carvin 412s. If it doesn't have enough edge or bite you can try using a tubescreamer in front as a boost. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom