Security of Guitar in Hotel Room?

JD_

Inspired
I'm playing a corporate gig at one of the Disney hotels next year and am contemplating which guitar to take. I would like to take my Les Paul Custom, but it's expensive, and I'll have to leave it in the room every day for the week I'm there (with my Axe-FX III). I know the simple answer is to just take a cheaper guitar, but I'd like to play this one. How does everyone handle security of your gear when staying in (nicer) hotel rooms?

I don’t really sweat that; it’s sure safer than leaving it in a car or trailer. My gigging guitars are all expensive PRS models these days, so I do what I can to keep them safe, but I also carry insurance on all my gigging gear through MusicPro Insurance. It’s not ridiculously expensive, and gives you some piece of mind while on the road.

If the guitar is a sentimental/irreplaceable heirloom, leave it at home. Otherwise, use reasonable caution, get some insurance, and enjoy playing the guitar you want to play!

workers go in and out of the rooms. i've left computers in the bag with no issue. but there's really no way to know who might have taken something at any point. it's not supposed to happen, but that's the definition of life, right?

i'd secure it as iaresee suggested if it's something you can't lose.

Reactions: JD_
Just take the Les Paul Custom if that’s the guitar you want to play. No one will mess with the gear in your room. And if you’re anything like me, just keep your do not disturb sign on the door the entire time and just clean up after yourself and not worry about anyone going into your room.

I have a lot of experience here- by todays standard it's safe in the room. Especially a nice/decent hotel like a Disney hotel.

Still safer than the car or anywhere else- Bell Desk is an option but there's more risk there than the room.

Something I often do- I do this all the time- Valet the car- tip them well and say 'I got a ton of guitars and music gear in the car' they'll usually park it by cameras where they can keep an eye on it- if not right in front. I know this sounds stupid- but it was a concern of mine... I called every hotel in Vegas and said 'I travel with tons of music gear what should I do' All of them said 1. Don't go downtown. And 2. Valet the car, and tell them what's in it. I've used that advice and luckily have never had an issue.

Thanks everyone. I've taken cheaper guitars before and left them in the room with no issues. I think I'm just going to insure the gear properly, take the custom, and not worry about it

I take guitars with me regularly when staying in hotels. I get it to the room with no fanfare. I also leave a “do not disturb” sign on the door the whole time I am there. My idea: If no one knows you have a guitar in the room you are reasonably safe.

Only other guitar players know what your guitar is worth. No one else really really cares. I basically lived in hotels on work travel with expensive guitars and gear left out and it’s never even been breathed on as far as I can tell. Also, this is Disney, not a 3rd World country.

Only other guitar players know what your guitar is worth. No one else really really cares. I basically lived in hotels on work travel with expensive guitars and gear left out and it’s never even been breathed on as far as I can tell. Also, this is Disney, not a 3rd World country.
Seriously?

I live a stones throw from Disney in Florida. I know people who work in the Orlando hospitality industry. Theft is rampant both at the parks and in the hotels.

If what you say is true, then why are musical instruments, especially guitars such a desirable target in burglaries? A thief’s job is to be able to spot “portable value”. “Portable value” perfectly describes a guitar.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t leave it in the room. I personally know someone who had valuables stolen from her room at a Disney resort

Seriously?

I live a stones throw from Disney in Florida. I know people who work in the Orlando hospitality industry. Theft is rampant both at the parks and in the hotels.

If what you say is true, then why are musical instruments, especially guitars such a desirable target in burglaries? A thief’s job is to be able to spot “portable value”. “Potable value” perfectly describes a guitar.
As I said, I’ve never had a problem with gear or guitars out in hotel rooms. You can hem and haw about whatever you wish. I choose not to live my life worrying about every possible thing that may go wrong. It’s impossible to eliminate or mitigate every possible risk, but it is very possible to be so risk averse that you become crippled with fear, tossing and turning about every “what-if” out there. I ain’t gots that kinda time.

OP, im sure there’s some sort of insurance coverage you can get. Or, dress up the guitar like the dead body in Weekend at Bernie’s.

Reactions: JD_
As I said, I’ve never had a problem with gear or guitars out in hotel rooms. You can hem and haw about whatever you wish. I choose not to live my life worrying about every possible thing that may go wrong. It’s impossible to eliminate or mitigate every possible risk, but it is very possible to be so risk averse that you become crippled with fear, tossing and turning about every “what-if” out there. I ain’t gots that kinda time.

OP, im sure there’s some sort of insurance coverage you can get. Or, dress up the guitar like the dead body in Weekend at Bernie’s.
Wow what gas lighting this is. Fear? Crippled? tossing and turning? I said to take it and be discrete. You are a real piece of work. +1 to my ignore list.

The person stealing a guitar from a hotel room- does not know or care the difference between a $3000 Les Paul Custom and a $125 Dean

Disney hotels are rather safe, as the company prides itself on taking care of its customers. I worked for Disney's corporate division (in technology), and can tell you many stories of them going above and beyond for guests. While it's very unlikely to be a problem, it's like any other place where other people are around; a single bad actor, or even an intended action could result in someone getting access to your room while you're not there. You have a couple of options to increase your security: (1) put out your DO NOT DISTURB sign at all times, and when you can be at the room, call the front desk to ask for housekeeping to come at that time (2) check your gear into the hotel safe; it's inconvenient for you if you like to noodle around on your guitar at night, but that's definitely the most secure place you can access (3) depending on which park stage you're performing on, they may have a secure lockup facility right there; other musicians use these spaces to store their gear on site, rather than carting it in / out of the park for multiple performances.

Wrap a chain around the case and a desk chair and padlock it. :p
This is exactly what I would do.
If someone has time to get bolt cutters, come into your room and steal it, then you can damn well bet that something would be either caught on a security camera.....or they'll know exactly who was in your room that could have done it.

That being said, if it's sentimental - leave it home.

Just another anecdote, but I have spent roughly 50 weeks a year in hotels for the past 10 years or so. I regularly have 4-5 guitars in my room, plus my Axe Fx rig. Never had a problem. I also recommend using the Do not disturb sign. Everything coming in or out of the room should be caught on camera just in case.

Back
Top Bottom