Second Cabinet - Mix? or Match?

guitarjim

Experienced
I currently have a Matrix 12Qa and am looking to add a second cabinet. I play in a wedding / dance band so I get all kinds of different situations from small clubs where I would use the 12Qa as a backline speaker and not run through FOH to large hotels where the 12QA would only be a monitor. I'm very new FRFR so I'm still not quite comfortable making purchase decisions without seeking some advice.

I am looking to add a second cab that would be used as backline in some cases and monitor in others. I was wondering if there are any obvious pros / cons to staying with another 12Qa or a Matrix wedge, or grabbing an Atomic instead.

The advantage to staying with the Matrix is that I can daisy chain them if I ever needed to (they say not to do that unless its another Matrix). Not sure if there would be any advantages mixing FRFR types.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Somewhat related....I've been playing around this weekend with my RCF nx12ma and a loaned xiTone powered 12" wedge.
Both are greats monitors, but have some small differences. The RCF has a more plush low end....and the xitone has a clearer high mid. But play them together and you seem to get the best of both. Not the cheapest option...but just pointing out that sometimes two different cabs can add a bit of dimension.
I guess you could argue that you're also getting the worst of both worlds....but I'm enjoying it at the moment.

I've been having the same thoughts myself.
My RCF is going no where but I'm kind of thinking of losing the JSX combo (power amp cab for output 2) and geting another powered wedge.
I'm thinking blending the RCF with one of the other now available options could be pretty great sounding.
Maybe a cab instead of another wedge..........

Scott Peterson has been doing some testing of late, as have a few others. I'm sure the temptation to "turn them all on (and up) at once" has been succumbed to more than once. I'd be very onterested to hear their impressions of what sounded best in combination!

Interesting... The whole idea to FRFR is to be as flat and as uncolored as possible. Mixing 2 different flavors of FR cabs begs the question of which one do you dial in your presets on :lol ? As if things weren't already complex enough. Personally I think I would go with what sound the best of the two and stick with it. Adding a different FR cab to the mix just convolutes things even more.

Interesting... The whole idea to FRFR is to be as flat and as uncolored as possible. Mixing 2 different flavors of FR cabs begs the question of which one do you dial in your presets on :lol ? As if things weren't already complex enough. Personally I think I would go with what sound the best of the two and stick with it. Adding a different FR cab to the mix just convolutes things even more.

I agree with this, especially for my own purposes. But I can see the argument that one cabinet may make up for another's weakness in a certain frequency range. Honestly, I doubt I would be able to hear accurately enough to make that selection. And then, if put into stereo, is the left or right more accurate? I have to laugh at myself to think how nit-picky I'd have to be to even care, but it would make for interesting discussion.

For me, I am staying with RCF. Sounds great and I am very happy with the way it reproduces the sounds I send it. But I am always interested in reading other's discoveries or opinions relative to their search for the best sound.

I agree with this, especially for my own purposes. But I can see the argument that one cabinet may make up for another's weakness in a certain frequency range. Honestly, I doubt I would be able to hear accurately enough to make that selection. And then, if put into stereo, is the left or right more accurate? I have to laugh at myself to think how nit-picky I'd have to be to even care, but it would make for interesting discussion.

For me, I am staying with RCF. Sounds great and I am very happy with the way it reproduces the sounds I send it. But I am always interested in reading other's discoveries or opinions relative to their search for the best sound.

No doubt, Thinking about how much EQ power the Axe has coupled with all the amp and cab possibilities is overwhelming as it is. Then to throw in slightly different sounding FR cabs in the mix just seems to negate the purpose of the former unless that's all you have to work with.

All great points....that's why I'm not sure if I'm getting the best of both worlds...or the worst of both worlds....LOL.

Kmanick....swing by and check out the XiTone and RCF blend I have going on...it's a great combo.
RCF has more thump....XiTone has a clearer top end. Together it sounds spectacular.

(but to Sixstring's point - how do you now dial in your patches???)

All great points....that's why I'm not sure if I'm getting the best of both worlds...or the worst of both worlds....LOL.

Kmanick....swing by and check out the XiTone and RCF blend I have going on...it's a great combo.
RCF has more thump....XiTone has a clearer top end. Together it sounds spectacular.

(but to Sixstring's point - how do you now dial in your patches???)

At the moment I'm forced to use M-Audio near fields which aren't the best I know. I'm saving for a pair of CLR's which I can hardly wait for and I'm almost certain that I will have to re-tune everything I have doen to date once I get the speakers.

You could use the CFR12 as a wedge, or on end as backline to compliment the q12a. They are loaded with the same coaxial driver.
Your q12a will power the cfr12 using the output link ( or another cab rated at 8ohms or more )

Hope this helps.
My best regards
Matt

Back
Top Bottom