Searching for a small Android device...

Rich G.

Experienced
I have an application where I'd like to use a small Android based device to control lighting (details below). I started searching and immediately became overwhelmed with choices so I thought I'd ask for recommendations here since we're a large diverse group of people interested in hi-tech stuff. lol.

What are your thoughts on which device would be good for this application?
I'm not opposed to using an old phone without a sim card. A coworker suggested a Nexus 4. It seemed a little overkill for the application.

Details:
I plan on using an small Android device running TouchOSC connected via WiFi (prefer 5G) which then sends commands to a computer on the network running TouchOSC Bridge which communicates to DMXIS which then takes the Midi signals from TouchOSC Bridge and converts them to DMX signals which then controls lighting. Maybe a little diagram would help:

[Android device running TouchOSC]~~>~~[Router]~~>~~[TouchOSC Bridge PC]-->--[DMXIS In / DMX Out]--[Lights]

Best 8" Android tablet bang for buck IMO. Nougat update available. It will probably still ship with lollipop or marshmallow.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834762011&cm_re=shield-_-34-762-011-_-Product

That is a nice looking table, but I need smaller. Something along the lines of a small phone. The Nexus 4 my coworker had was a little big. My intention is to have the user wear it on his hip to unobtrusively control basic lighting during a show.

My bass player found a Samsung Galaxy Prime sitting around his house. It should work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom