Seamless Switching Presets And Missing Effects

Bigsby

Hey all,

Looking into getting one of these. I had some questions first that I was hoping y'all could answer. I checked the entire AX8 forum before posting:

1. I just wanted to confirm: can you assign the footswitch buttons to different presets? That's a huge factor for me as my live playing requires me to switch between preset patches often (like one switch will be 000: Bassguy and another will be 009: Marshall Plexi...I dunno if those are the real names but you know what I mean).

2. How seamless will the transitions be? If there is a delay as it loads it, then that will cause problems.

3. Cliff said, "The AX-8 and FX-8 uses the same converters (CS4272-CZZ) and op-amps. The circuit design in the FX-8 is necessarily much more complex to support true-bypass switching (without pops and clicks) and to optimize the outputs for use in 4CM.

The AX-8 removes the dedicated true bypass switching circuitry and simplifies the output design to save money. The cost savings is used towards an extra DSP. – Cliff"

What exactly does this mean? There will be pops and clicks when switching between the presets?

4. The AX8 seems to weigh just as much (if not more??) than the Axe-FX II (which is 10 pounds). I could have sworn I saw a post that said the AX8 was gonna be 11 pounds. If so, what real advantage do you have portability-wise? I'd like to throw this thing in a GIG (edit: I initially wrote "rack") bag but it doesn't seem feasible. I want to get the AX8 for the portability without having to carry anything bulky. Just want to put it in the gig bag, sling it over my shoulder, and go. Is this actually possible?

5. What effects are missing? I want to make sure my presets are actually compatible with the AX8 since I heard there will be some effects taken out.

Thank you!
Bigsby

Last edited:
Hopefully Cliff will reply, as no one knows for sure...

1. I would say 99% yes
2. not sure
3. not sure, I heard a small pop with the FX8 when using the X\Y drive pedals
4. Same as FX8
5. I think its all the FX, but some can only be used once per patch.

2. I imagine it's the same behavior as the Axe Fx II -- here's a great overview of how presets, X/Y switching, and scenes all play into how seemless (or not) the switching can be:

Why would you throw the AX8 in a rack bag? It's not a rack unit. Throw it in a normal bag, and you're set.
Why is it more portable than an Axe-Fx? Because it's the brains and the control in one unit. The Axe-Fx requires the addition of a foot controller (the MFC) to make switches.

Why would you throw the AX8 in a rack bag? It's not a rack unit. Throw it in a normal bag, and you're set.
Why is it more portable than an Axe-Fx? Because it's the brains and the control in one unit. The Axe-Fx requires the addition of a foot controller (the MFC) to make switches.

Very true! I dunno why I wrote rack bag. I meant gig bag!!

3. "The circuit design in the FX-8 is necessarily much more complex to support true-bypass switching (without pops and clicks) and to optimize the outputs for use in 4CM."

The "pops and clicks" referenced in this quote are not related to X/Y switching. If you've ever used true bypass pedals, you know that they come in different qualities. Primitive bypass circuits will cause a loud pop when switched in and out (see: EHX Soul Food when not in buffered mode). Quality gold-relay true bypass circuits will switch silently. This is all in reference to the FX8's "True Bypass" feature, which as far as we know will not be included in the AX8, but either way the answer is "no there will not be pops and clicks when switching presets".

5. We don't actually know these details yet, but it's assumed mostly the same as FX8. There are some exceptions I highlighted in another thread (Relay Block won't be included; Effects Loop Block, Feedback Send/Return Block, Mixer Block likely will be included as necessary for the grid). The most significant missing block in the FX8 (and possibly AX8) is the Synth.

Back
Top Bottom