Seahawks or Patriots?

If it worked you'd be calling Petey a genius for not doing the obvious Lynch up the middle everyone was expecting.

Nope. I would have said that was a crazy risky call and they got away with it.

With 3 downs and a timeout left you hand it to Lynch 3 times if you have to and if you can't punch it in then so be it.

But hey, you are entitled to your opinion even though 99.9% of the world (including Petey in hindsight) think otherwise. :)

freakin' awesome game!!

My prediction in my previous post yesterday was 28 - 17 Patriots !!

Not bad!!!!

My old HS coach (who went on to have a successful career at the D1 level) would always say, if we won big, WE (the players) won. If we lost big, WE lost. If we won small, HE won it for us. If we lost small, HE lost it for us.

Bill > Pete. Not by much, but by enough.

I can't stand how everyone is acting as if it was a foregone conclusion that Lynch would have scored on a run or even better that Wilson is somehow incapable of throwing a pass....last I checked it was him chucking it around that got them down there in the red zone in the first place.

I'm not trying to sound agitated here or anything and I wanted to see the Pats win anyway so I'm far from upset, but if anyone listens to what Pete said in the interviews after the game it was about playing the matchup, clock management and making sure that they had 3 shots to get into the endzone. The fact that Bill didn't call a timeout was actually brilliant because they were still able to run in their goal line package. This was important because it meant that in order to get all 3 shots that at least one had to be a pass so that they could still stop the clock. So you get to choose between running and calling timeout and then being forced to throw the ball on 3rd down when they are expecting it or you throw it on 2nd when you still have a little bit of an element of surprise.

And the Seahawks had ran in their 3WR set on that play hoping to spread the defense out and then run it in (probably a read option play). But because the Pats sold out on the run that meant that Seattle just didn't have enough meat up front to be comfortable running it, but more importantly it meant they had man coverage from the 1 with a rookie undrafted free agent playing off against a stacked WR. That is the best matchup in that situation.

The playcall was perfect, heck it was executed fairly well too...what happened is that said rookie broke on the ball unlike anyone I've ever seen defend that kind of play.

It simply wasn't a bad call...it was an amazing defensive play by a young man who had actually perfectly played that ridiculously lucky catch that Kearse made on the 6 just two plays earlier. My point is that anyone who second guesses a coach who managed to get his team to the SB two years in a row (not to mention win a few national titles in college) should consider the fact that he knows what he is doing.

Anyway if people want to speak in hyperbole and act like that play was that bad that's fine; that's their prerogative. What I got out of this game is that Tom Brady is the greatest QB of all time in my opinion. That sucks because I am a Peyton Manning guy. Peyton is still amazing, but even as great as he is Brady basically pulled off the closest approximation of head to head comparison that we could ask for. He was able to carve up the best defense (by a significant margin) in the league. It's basically the same defense that Manning couldn't crack. You combine that with 6 SB appearances, 4 wins, 2 losses by a combined total of 7 points, playing in just about every AFC championship game in the last 14 years and winning last night with a 10 year margin between rings and I don't think that you can compare anyone to that. We also have to remember that he was out one season with an ACL and they were 11-5 with Matt Cassell at QB; that was obviously a great team and who knows if they would have gone all the way that year.

I don't particularly like the guy even though he doesn't really bother me, but if you look at the facts of the matter you can't discount him completely and most of the time if you knock him down a few pegs it's because of personal preferences and looking for an argument rather than just acknowledging his accomplishments.

And last but not least the whole deflate gate thing is a debacle. There was two weeks of non-stop coverage about PSI on CNN and every other news channel because the Pats had 11 balls that were allegedly 2lbs under-inflated. Yesterday there was a little covered news release that in fact it was one ball that was 2lbs low and the others were just barely under the 12.5 PSI minimum. Of course no one covered that story because its not as intriguing as the idea of lying, cheating, and deception. A lot of former players really laid into the Pats and Tom Brady and prosecuted them without factual information.....that is probably the single biggest reason that I wanted to see them succeed last night.

I can guarantee that the ball was inflated properly and he managed to complete 27 passes and throw 4 TD's without a deflated ball against the best cover defense in the league.

And the Seahawks had ran in their 3WR set on that play hoping to spread the defense out and then run it in (probably a read option play). But because the Pats sold out on the run that meant that Seattle just didn't have enough meat up front to be comfortable running it, but more importantly it meant they had man coverage from the 1 with a rookie undrafted free agent playing off against a stacked WR. That is the best matchup in that situation.

If you listen to Butler after the game, the Pats weren't actually in their full heavy goal line package. They had extra defensive backs in the game including him. He said he wasn't sure what he was doing in the game at that time.

I love the Pats but it was a foregone conclusion Lynch was going to score.

What happened is god had to prove he exists and made sure that stupid play was called to balance the universe. The Patriots cannot have 3 straight superbowls lost due to lucky, uber ridiculous catches.

Besides the ref set a pick on the Pats DB allowing the Hawks to earlier score. Thats not getting enough attention. Divine intervention was highly warranted.

If you listen to Butler after the game, the Pats weren't actually in their full heavy goal line package. They had extra defensive backs in the game including him. He said he wasn't sure what he was doing in the game at that time.
Bill said they had goal line with 3 DB's in there. The only thing that I heard Butler say is that they had prepared for the play and that he was ready for it....of course that could have been a stretch.

Regardless it's one of the best plays I've ever seen by any player. I mean that is a play that puts the defender in an impossible situation and I still can't believe how fast he broke on the ball. There's no doubt that if they do stop them without getting the turnover that they run in the fat boys, load it up and pound the ball in for the win. You simply cannot have a more impactful play.

I love the Pats but it was a foregone conclusion Pats Lynch was going to score.

What happened is god had to prove he exists and made sure that stupid play was called to balance the universe. The Patriots cannot have 3 straight superbowls lost due to lucky, uber ridiculous catches.

Besides the ref set a pick on the Pats DB allowing the Hawks to earlier score. Thats not getting enough attention. Divine intervention was highly warranted.
Well if you want to talk about missed calls you can't forget about the open field tackle that Butler had on Lockette right in the middle of the field that was missed. Then again there was a roughing the kicker that was missed on the first possession that should have been a first down and my favorite was the pass interference they called on Amendola; that ball was tipped by Irvin....you can't have pass interference on a tipped pass.

But apart from those three plays it was one of the best officiated games I've seen in years.

In Pete's first on field interview he admitted they would do some second guessing and probably blew it by not running it. In subsequent interviews he fell on the grenade to protect the OC and Wilson. As Syrinx noted above, the Pats were not in a complete goal line running package and even if they were I still like Lynch's chances as he just moves piles.

The Hawks could easily have run 3 plays with one timeout and the amount of time on the clock. Of course there is no guarantee that Lynch would have scored but it's a given that there is a lot more things that can go wrong in throwing the ball. It will rightfully go down as one of the dumbest calls in SuperBowl history. Just like not having Reggie Bush in the game on a 4th and one to seal the national title for USC against Texas.

And I am a Pete Carrol fan. Sorry, but I have to call it like I see it and those were two title losing calls.

And yes, it was a phenomenal play by Butler!

Last edited:
It's never one play that determines an entire game, but the chain of cause/effect leading to the final moments.

Take Buckner's error. Same thing. A few more RBIs, better OBP or better pitching up to that point, and they could've recovered long enough to still have a chance at winning the series on the next batter. No one really thinks about that though. They just think about the error. In the same way, maybe the Seahawks come out of the gates stronger in the first quarter, maybe convert a FG or set up better field position, maybe they hold NE to 7 or 10 at the half... lots of areas on the SEA offense to improve on in that quarter, but that's just not how it happened. Fact of the matter is NE outplayed SEA with the exception of a few big plays for that entire half.

But when you have the league's premiere back for lowering his shoulders and cramming the ball between the tackles, and you need half a yard to take the lead with seconds left, you hand him the ball and let him do his thing. NE didn't make any substitutions from the prior play, where he had just crashed for 4+ yards in heavy traffic. Yes, it's a foregone conclusion that he would've picked up the TD.

Also yes about the break that rookie took on the ball. Goddamn he came out of nowhere. It's almost as if no one told him the Pats were trying to let Seattle score to get the ball back with more time on the clock :D

You can't pin the result on one play, otherwise you could blame the Hawks D for not getting a stop on the Pats last scoring drive.

Look at the replay of that final play slowly.......If Wilson gets the ball to the receiver when he's wide open & Butler isn't even close, the game is probably over or he is stopped at the 1 foot line.

Wilson took 2.5 steps back before he threw it. Waited too long........nothing wrong with the call!

Back
Top Bottom