Screen flicker and death of an axe fx :-(

greyanaroth

Inspired
Hey guys,

I've already opened a support ticket about this but still waiting for a reply from the kind folks at FAS. But I'm hoping someone can shed some light on my malady.

My axe fx 2 was on for a few hours running through some reamps, when I think because of a voltage fluctuation the screen started flickering and slowly faded to black. I switched off the unit, waited for a few minutes and turned it back on. No luck - flickering screen, all LEDs lit up and then within a minute I hear a loud crack (I'm guessing it's the fuse in the psu) and the unit turned off and won't turn back on again.

Please please tell me this is a power supply gone bad because that's an easy and relatively inexpensive fix. The other possibility would break my heart and my wallet.

Life without an axe fx sucks. :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Power supply is a reasonable guess, though fuses don't tend to make a sound when they blow - even though we say "blew a fuse" or "popped a fuse". It's probably a voltage regulator in the power supply; they can actually blow a little chunk off when they go. Electrolytic capacitors can also go "bang", though that's less common. I have no idea if the power supply is on a separate board or not in the Axe. I hope it's easy to fix though, and sorry to hear about it going out on you. That sucks!

The PSU is. As peerage board and just unplugs from the main board. A couple of bolts and a couple of connectors and you're done. I always have a backup with me stall times, just in case. I should probably get an EPROM backup too.

Back
Top Bottom