Screeching Atomic....ARRRGH!

iceman

Well, as has been experienced by many others here, my powered wedge is squealing like Ned Beatty. The wedge has VERY little playing time on it. Maybe a couple hours at most. Microphonic tube maybe? How do you go about replacing these tubes? I've removed the bottom grill and loosened the controls plate but I don't see any good way to get inside to remove the tube. Also, the atomic only has 1 12ax7 correct?

Thanks for any help!!

Mike Snider said:
How close are you to the Atomic when it squeals?
I honestly dont think it's the tubes.

It does it no matter how far away I am. It's not feedback. Does it no matter the angle of the pickups to the cab or the proximity to the cab. It used to stop when I'd smack the control panel. That doesn't seem to work anymore.

iceman said:
Mike Snider said:
How close are you to the Atomic when it squeals?
I honestly dont think it's the tubes.

It does it no matter how far away I am. It's not feedback. Does it no matter the angle of the pickups to the cab or the proximity to the cab. It used to stop when I'd smack the control panel. That doesn't seem to work anymore.

No, it's not feed back. However, most of the people who have reported issues with squealing have two things in common- high gain patches and proximity to the cabinet..
By the way, you will notice if you turn the Atomic off while it's squealing - the Axefx will still be clipping.
I honestly do not think it's the tubes.

Edit: FWIW- I squealed on a solid state powered monitor. No tubes.

I honestly hope you're right and that it's not the tubes but when mine squeals it does it when I back up, turn around and when I change patches. I haven't seen the input meter clip at all and the noise remains unchanged when going from high gain to low gain.

tgunn said:
could it be the pickups? unshielded cavity?

Once the hissing starts, it continues even when I roll my guitar's volume off. It continues no matter what I do with the guitar and AxeFx. I'd be shocked if it's anything other than a bad tube or something else inside the Atomic.

Is there an easy way to change the tube that I'm missing? I can barely get my hand inside the hole where the vent cover goes.

Back
Top Bottom