Scott P... I Can't Thank You Enough!

Fender (or Fender Like tones): [/B]OH 112 Boogafunk E12L/JM 112 EMI Open Back FF
Vox (or Vox like tones):
OH 112 Boogafunk Blue/JM EMI 112 Open Back FF
Marshall:
OH 412 SLM M75/JM 212 G12-65 FF
Higher Gain:
OH SLM G65 (*or OH V30, H75, Blue, or G65)/JM 212 G12-65 FFNote (repeated for emphasis): No mic. No room reverb from block. Speaker Motor Drive at 5.00 (noon). Both cabs panned center.

It'll sound good. Tweak from there to find your own flavors.

Um this just saved me. I h ave been rather not happy with my tones, and just doing this (but i used my fav cab as cab L and used the recommended FF for the Cab R, and followed all your tips, and instantly my stuff is way better. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Can't wait to hit practice next week and blow them away!!!

I just slammed this together based on Scott's advice and it sounds very different than the patches I have been tweaking but I think I'm digging it.

I find with this approach it sounds real good and more realistic through monitors or an FRFR setup, takes away some of that high end "hifi" sizzle and harshness.

I still like the non- "FF/NR" approach when listenening with headphones though.

Robert

When adding two cabs...should this be two separate mono hi res or one stereo low res?
If it's one stereo lo res are we losing out sonically? Can the Axe2 handle two hi res cab blocks?

When adding two cabs...should this be two separate mono hi res or one stereo low res?
If it's one stereo lo res are we losing out sonically? Can the Axe2 handle two hi res cab blocks?

You are not missing any resolution. The idea behind offering 2048bit IR's in the II is so you can still have a high resolution 1024bit cab when split into stereo. There is no sonic difference between 1024bit and 2048bit for a cab.

Some people say they can hear the difference, but only if you specifically listen for it...

Scott said:
Fender (or Fender Like tones): OH 112 Boogafunk E12L/JM 112 EMI Open Back FF
Vox (or Vox like tones):
OH 112 Boogafunk Blue/JM EMI 112 Open Back FF
Marshall:
OH 412 SLM M75/JM 212 G12-65 FF
Higher Gain:
OH SLM G65 (*or OH V30, H75, Blue, or G65)/JM 212 G12-65 FF
Note (repeated for emphasis): No mic. No room reverb from block. Speaker Motor Drive at 5.00 (noon). Both cabs panned center.
What remains unclear after this is that I thought reading before that the FF one should ideally (or practically) be mixed way down? Looking at some presets here, I think many are now mixing it 50/50 (cab levels untouched).
So do you generally drop the level of the FF cab down A LOT? (for cutting through etc.)

Last edited:
You are not missing any resolution.

That's a great point - you don't lose any quality of those first 1024 points. Do 2048 points convey a cabinet with more quality? I can't really hear a difference, except on something like an acoustic guitar IR. What do the experts think? Has Jay Mitchell ever given his thoughts on this?

There is no sonic difference between 1024bit and 2048bit for a cab.

Scientifically speaking or in perception? If they're exactly the same then is there any reason to use the cabinet HiRes mode for a guitar cab impulse?

Here's the first of a series of videos I will be doing. I'll start my own thread later tonight or tomorrow; but this is the start.

I just tried something that sounds pretty good too based on Scott's idea.

If you happen to have a patch with 2 mono cabs already in it and some excess CPU, change just one of them to stereo. Add one of the Mitchell farfield cabs, pan just that one to the middle, and leave the other one and the other mono cab panned the way they were. Sounded huge with the Brit45/Plexi Normal amps I had in the patch into my Adam A7's.

Back
Top Bottom