Scott Henderson cab- York Audio

As far as DynaCabs go, I’ve got a healthy list of options. Some haven’t been captured yet and some have. I think mic selection will play a big role in how many I’m able to do since it takes a long time to capture a single mic. I also want to hear how the DynaCab method compares to my current approach. We’ll know more once the ball gets rolling.
Not sure if it's possible with 3rd party Dyna-Cabs, but it would be lovely to get that Matchless cab with the G12H / G12M combo! That's my vote!

I hope you’re enjoying the KW pack so far. I’m curious to see how the stereo mixes are hitting you?

Feeling much better now, thank you! I’m actually in my studio as we speak breaking in a couple cabs after a speaker swap. I’m ready to start capturing again and just need to commit to a cab knowing that I can’t please every genre with a single cab.

As far as DynaCabs go, I’ve got a healthy list of options. Some haven’t been captured yet and some have. I think mic selection will play a big role in how many I’m able to do since it takes a long time to capture a single mic. I also want to hear how the DynaCab method compares to my current approach. We’ll know more once the ball gets rolling.
I did just get around to checking these out. I had some drive swapping to do on my pc that got in the way... and a big copy to do lol.

first off... I read the pdf and then kept trying to make myself forget what sh picked cause I wanted to choose what I liked best w/o confirmation bias... and the standout to me was the 57 dark. was using a bright guitar (tele on bridge) and this just struck me as "the shit" hehe. really love this one. there were a few others that I thought sounded really good too but this one is just so unique. it's dark but somehow maintains enough high end that it doesn't sound burried. whatever you did there... LOVE IT!

so... the stereo... no tin can sound here at all. #4 was my fav and these stereo mixes are done very well. if I go back to the reg ir I was using... feels like something missing. subtle, tasteful, just what the doctor ordered. thank you again for what you do!

I did just get around to checking these out. I had some drive swapping to do on my pc that got in the way... and a big copy to do lol.

first off... I read the pdf and then kept trying to make myself forget what sh picked cause I wanted to choose what I liked best w/o confirmation bias... and the standout to me was the 57 dark. was using a bright guitar (tele on bridge) and this just struck me as "the shit" hehe. really love this one. there were a few others that I thought sounded really good too but this one is just so unique. it's dark but somehow maintains enough high end that it doesn't sound burried. whatever you did there... LOVE IT!

so... the stereo... no tin can sound here at all. #4 was my fav and these stereo mixes are done very well. if I go back to the reg ir I was using... feels like something missing. subtle, tasteful, just what the doctor ordered. thank you again for what you do!
That’s great to hear! I’m so glad you like the 57 dark IR. After capturing Scott’s favorite range, which is on the brighter side since he rolls off his tone knob, I wanted to try something a little darker since I’m a “tone knob always on 10” kinda guy. He originally wanted it omitted from the pack, but he ended up loving it after he opened up his tone knob.

And you nailed it with the stereo mixes. They’re designed to give you a nice natural stereo ambience rather than being an over exaggerated room effect.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It means a lot.

That’s great to hear! I’m so glad you like the 57 dark IR. After capturing Scott’s favorite range, which is on the brighter side since he rolls off his tone knob, I wanted to try something a little darker since I’m a “tone knob always on 10” kinda guy. He originally wanted it omitted from the pack, but he ended up loving it after he opened up his tone knob.

And you nailed it with the stereo mixes. They’re designed to give you a nice natural stereo ambience rather than being an over exaggerated room effect.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It means a lot.
funny, I replaced my tone knob on many of my guitars w a rotary... because I never ever touch my tone knob lol. can't argue with sh ears but... I know what I like for better or worse! Here's hoping to hear more dark mixes on future releases... if only for you and me lol!

funny, I replaced my tone knob on many of my guitars w a rotary... because I never ever touch my tone knob lol. can't argue with sh ears but... I know what I like for better or worse! Here's hoping to hear more dark mixes on future releases... if only for you and me lol!
If I remember correctly, I think the “dark” placement is the same as the cone (CN) captures found in the single mics folder in most of my packs. Try the 57-CN and 58-CN in my other packs as well as the KW pack if you wanna try stuff with a similar mic placement.

If I remember correctly, I think the “dark” placement is the same as the cone (CN) captures found in the single mics folder in most of my packs. Try the 57-CN and 58-CN in my other packs as well as the KW pack if you wanna try stuff with a similar mic placement.
awesome I very much appreciate the into... was already thinking I should revisit as I tend to just select from the 'mixes'... and the mixes are great... but sometimes it's hard to beat just a single 57!

Can you mix the "mixes" or is that a no no? Meaning to blend mix 01 from two different cab packs? I know the minimum phase are for that but i'm generally curious. I just picked up this KW cab pack and it rips. I love the mesa 2x12 mix 01 and kw mix 01. Would that be a phasey nightmare?

I've mixed mixes without negative issues. Remember that you can always adjust the alignment in the cab block to get the phase alignment or misalignment you desire.

Can you mix the "mixes" or is that a no no? Meaning to blend mix 01 from two different cab packs? I know the minimum phase are for that but i'm generally curious. I just picked up this KW cab pack and it rips. I love the mesa 2x12 mix 01 and kw mix 01. Would that be a phasey nightmare?
Yes.

My current IR choice is a mix of two mix IRs.

Especially if they're from the same maker, no problem.

From different makers, you may have your best luck using minimum phase versions if available (they often are), to avoid unintentional phase conflicts. You can also compensate for phase differences with the alignment controls in the Axe.

In any case, try stuff! Think about any issues IF they come up.

Yes, you can blend Mixes from the same cab or blend Mixes from different cabs without any phase issues. I finalize Mixes in MPT specifically for this reason.

This sounds mega. What amp model?
Thanks! The first section is my Les Paul through a JCM 800 model. The second section is the same preset, but using one of the new Stereo Mixes so you can hear the room ambience. The third section is my Tele through a JTM 45 model. And the fourth section is my Les Paul through an SLO model into a large room Stereo Mix.

I somehow missed this one. Given Scott's previous criticism of IRs, this was crazy high praise, so worth $17 just to check it out. Looking forward to trying this out later!

I took a chance after reading some posts here about the KW cab pack when you launched. Your comments about new gear improving the sound of your captures tickled me and I went for it. Truthfully @York Audio I hadn't spent much time with your IRs as I found myself with option paralysis across the factory stock cabs in my FM9.

But man, wow, I cycled through a bunch of them from this pack in my main gigging preset (Shiver and USA Lead models) and noticed improved clarity. I'm also mostly a "tone on 10" guy, and these brought out some crisp detail in the highs and a good amount of meat in the lows without getting boomy. I just dialed up the low cut to 80 Hz and got the balance I craved without having to move my amp settings.

The U67 IRs in particular really moved me! So much so that after building a pile of presets for an upcoming 90s gig featuring Friedman Dirty Shirley at different gain levels, BE V2, and Cornfed models, I said "to hell with the dual Dyna Cabs" I'd spent a while dialing in and dropped a single U67-1 in. Instant gratification, it sounds and FEELS awesome through clean to mean, smooth but clear with just the right amount of beef. Whenever I have to build for a gig again, I'm coming to this pack first!

Thank you for your great work sir! Looking forward to trying out more of your stuff!

I've stuck with the YA packs since the first time I tried them. I've been gigging with the KW since its release. I've tweaked my setup steadily, but always quickly come back to something from the KW pack. I basically tweak elsewhere now, and leave my cab settings alone. I run stereo, two Cele F12 DIY cabs on stage for myself, direct to FOH, and monitor with IEMs about half the time. I love the sound, feel, and gigging experience with this setup, it's inspiring to play, easier to fit into a large band mix, and I always get compliments on the my sound.

Back
Top Bottom