School me on this artists Mesa tones

Exeter

Hey everyone. I've turned into a huge Wes Hauch fan and am looking to try and replicate some of his tones, specifically his rhythm. I know that he's mainly a Boogie user, either a Triple Crown or Rectifier. There's a certain amount of harmonic content that I've never been able to dial in enough gain without everything turning to mush. The high end seems to be very smooth as well. Here's some examples:

This guy is such a phenomenal player and his band Alluvial is awesome as well. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!!

Try a Recto amp model (Modern Red, Orange, whatever you like) with an Energyball.

This "gets rid of the mud" not so much by removing any recto sound but by supplementing it with kind of a "more grindy" sound. It helps compliment that crazy-thick Recto sound.

Then for the cab use 4x12 Recto DynaCab with Condenser and Ribbon cutting 80hz to 10k (ish).
See if you like that.

Recto Red with the Triple Crown in stereo panned hard left and right. Greenback cab for the TC, v30 cab for the recto.

He's mentioned a graphic EQ, I believe in the FX loop, as something he uses. So that amp block geq might help

I also dig Wes Hauch. Phenomenal player and great tone! As always, his hands contribute a lot to his tone, as does his signature pickup set!
This is what I found online regarding amps:

"Hauch also updated his Mesa/Boogie stable of amplifiers, including a modded Triple Crown (retubed with JJ Electronic 6L6s and ECC83 high-gain preamp tubes) that he describes as "a completely different amp," with a bigger, ballsier sound, as well as a Revision F Dual Rectifier. "Boogie heads are like finding a wild horse or a bear and trying to make it bend to your will," Hauch jokes, citing his acquisition of a Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander, a Fortin Blade Whitechapel boost pedal, and a Fortin 33 Fredrik Thordendal Signature, all of which allow him to sculpt the traditional Boogie sound with unusual precision. "You have to hit them kind of hard with the clean boost. With the Fortin 33, I believe there's about 20 dB of a clean boost, with an emphasis on the 2.5k region, that puts the Boogie right in check and it makes it sound giant, but it's still got all this teeth on it."

So, I don't know if we could get far not knowing what the mods were on his triple crown, but at least boosting a rectifier with a pedal is pretty easy with our magic black box.
So far I couldn't find info about cabs and speakers ....

Happy tone hunting!

Back
Top Bottom