School me on Redwirez IR's

Webb

Power User
My wife is gonna buy me the whole Redwirez IR collection for father's day. I've read up as much as I can, but still don't fully understand the mix recipes I keep hearing people talk about.

Let's say the mix looks something like this:

BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Royer R121\Marshall1960A-G12Ms-R121-CapEdgeOffAxis-2in.wav,0.50
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\BasketweaveG12Ls\Sennheiser MD421\Basketweave-G12Ls-421-Cone-3in.wav,0.50

How would I get this mix into the Axe-FX? I could not find the IR Mixer on the redwirez site, but even if I could I'm not sure I would know what to do with it. Could someone break it down for me? I've been successful loading a user patch using Axe Edit, but confused by the IR process.

If you want a combination of just two IR's, you don't need to mix anything outside the Axe!
Just upload those IR's (Axe-ready SYX-files) to the Axe using Axe-Edit's preset manager. Then switch the Cab block in the preset to Stereo, and select the two IR's you want to use.
Note that this doesn't work when the Output mode (I/O) is set to Copy L>R.

The online mixer is available after logging in on the RW site. Top right, next to Change password.
The mixing process outputs a WAV-file that you can download. You then need to convert it to an Axe-ready SYX-file using Albert A's Utility. Then upload the .SYX file into the Axe. The advantage of the mixer is that you get one HiRes mixed file. So you can fill more user cab slots. And HiRes IR's supposedly are of higher quality than the stereo cab signal .... but I can't hear the difference.

Webb said:
My wife is gonna buy me the whole Redwirez IR collection for father's day. I've read up as much as I can, but still don't fully understand the mix recipes I keep hearing people talk about.

Let's say the mix looks something like this:

BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\Marshall1960A-G12Ms\Royer R121\Marshall1960A-G12Ms-R121-CapEdgeOffAxis-2in.wav,0.50
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\BasketweaveG12Ls\Sennheiser MD421\Basketweave-G12Ls-421-Cone-3in.wav,0.50

How would I get this mix into the Axe-FX? I could not find the IR Mixer on the redwirez site, but even if I could I'm not sure I would know what to do with it. Could someone break it down for me? I've been successful loading a user patch using Axe Edit, but confused by the IR process.

The easiest way is to use the RedWire mixer on their website. Another poster mentioned that. But once you paste in the recipe you don't need to use a converter, you can just download the .syx file directly and then just import that. With what you have above, using the online mixer, you don't need the full path name, just the file name (as long as you have purchased that IR). So the mix would look like this:

Marshall1960A-G12Ms-R121-CapEdgeOffAxis-2in.wav,0.50
Basketweave-G12Ls-421-Cone-3in.wav,0.50

Just paste that into their online mixer, give it a name and hit the "mix" button. A few seconds later just select the "Axe Fx .syx" file link and you download the new IR ready to go with the Axe Fx.

Shane

redwire said:
You have a nice wife :)

Adding to what yek said, the mixIR now outputs a wav file and an Axe-Fx sysex file.

Yeah, it's great to have a wife that supports my GAS habit. Although getting her "approval" on the Ultra purchase when according to her, I "already have a room full of amps" proved to be a bit more challenging. :D

Thanks for all the info guys! I'm looking forward to trying them out. A boatload of IR's makes a much better gift then the boxers she got me last year. :lol:

Webb said:
redwire said:
A boatload of IR's makes a much better gift then the boxers she got me last year. :lol:

You can upload a maximum of 10 boxershorts to the Axe-Fx alas.

On the other hand, wearing IRs from Red Wirez allow you to choose from many positions and distances. 7 inches or more is no option though.

Back
Top Bottom