Schecter Nick Johnston 1546 Traditional HSS

for those of you that are struggling with the term, experiment with bar height before you switch it. once I raised the bar a bit I was totally happy
Not to sound obtuse, but I'm not sure what you mean by bar height? Trem bar? Tailpiece bridge height? If tweaking the bridge set-screws either loosens or tightens the bridge, adjustments are also typically made behind with the trem springs as well. This might only need be done when changing string gauge (in this instance, no gauge changed, so no trem spring/bridge tension adjustments necessary.)

No bridge swap was being done with my NJ HSS, though others may try upgrade theirs to bring things closer to Suhr specs.

Was just playing mine today and it’s a great playing guitar. Unreal for the value. I’ve had it up for sale for awhile but I think I’ll keep it. I have the one with three single coils (humbucker wasn’t available at the time) and I really just need to put a stacked single coil in the bridge and it will be great for me.maybe get a tech to keep the low action I have but make the strings less tense and it’ll be solid

Was just playing mine today and it’s a great playing guitar. Unreal for the value. I’ve had it up for sale for awhile but I think I’ll keep it. I have the one with three single coils (humbucker wasn’t available at the time) and I really just need to put a stacked single coil in the bridge and it will be great for me.maybe get a tech to keep the low action I have but make the strings less tense and it’ll be solid
I changed all the pickups in mine
I had a Dimarzio chopper in the bridge and it was great no need to change pots either. I had dimarzio cruisers in the middle and neck. The neck was good but I should have gone something different in the middle.

I changed all the pickups in mine
I had a Dimarzio chopper in the bridge and it was great no need to change pots either. I had dimarzio cruisers in the middle and neck. The neck was good but I should have gone something different in the middle.
I love the stock neck and middle pickups. They give such a good vintage sound and sparkle. I’ll check out the dimarzio chopper

I love the stock neck and middle pickups. They give such a good vintage sound and sparkle. I’ll check out the dimarzio chopper
If you still want the look of the single coil then I would also recommend the Bareknuckles trilogy suite bridge. It is a single coil but has a nice mid range reminiscent of a paf. Not as high output as the chopper though.

If you still want the look of the single coil then I would also recommend the Bareknuckles trilogy suite bridge. It is a single coil but has a nice mid range reminiscent of a paf. Not as high output as the chopper though.
I’ll check it out, it has to be the look of a single coil because the cavity is for a single coil pickup and I don’t feel like having someone cut out a cavity for a humbucker. A single coil sized HB would be fine

Not to sound obtuse, but I'm not sure what you mean by bar height? Trem bar? Tailpiece bridge height? If tweaking the bridge set-screws either loosens or tightens the bridge, adjustments are also typically made behind with the trem springs as well. This might only need be done when changing string gauge (in this instance, no gauge changed, so no trem spring/bridge tension adjustments necessary.)

No bridge swap was being done with my NJ HSS, though others may try upgrade theirs to bring things closer to Suhr specs.
I've seen people complain about the travel/response of the trem. If you raise the actual tree bar itself a bit, it changes the feel of the t
rem itself.

I've seen people complain about the travel/response of the trem. If you raise the actual trem bar itself a bit, it changes the feel of the trem itself.
Ah, I see. The shorter of the two videos in my NJ HSS thread describes how to set up a guitar for optimal trem travel, but falls short in describing how to make the trem more of a floating trem, if that's what you're trying to say. IOW, enable both dive and rise of the trem bar at least a whole step. It is possible, though there are required adjustments to the trem springs and pivot screws that need to occur.

Personally, I don't use the trem bar for much more than the occasional tremolo, or "vibrato," if you will (I know, wrong wording), so I'm satisfied with what I currently have, and don't need anything else just now.

But thanks for the heads-up. Feel free to sneak a peek at the set-up/intonation videos on the 1st page. They're fairly in depth and of a wider scope than most, and describe much of what most any average guy might need to learn about setting-up/intonating a Strat.

I’ll check it out, it has to be the look of a single coil because the cavity is for a single coil pickup and I don’t feel like having someone cut out a cavity for a humbucker. A single coil sized HB would be fine
Both the Trilogy and the chopper are single coil by Shape but the chopper is a rail design rather than poles.
One other thing is that the chopper only comes in white and black which aesthetically will not match the off white of the stock.
I ended up changing the pickguard and all the controls.

Hope that helps

It would be so excellent if they made the nick johnston specific humbucker in single coil version. Id buy that in a heartbeat since i know it was meant for that guitar

For you folks who have the HSS version, how's the volume and tone balance between the H position and the rest?
It's pretty good. Fairly even across all 3 pickups.
It would be so excellent if they made the nick johnston specific humbucker in single coil version. Id buy that in a heartbeat since i know it was meant for that guitar
The HSS humbucker has a tone knob coil tap, that provides/imitates single-coil tones. The only downside to the PP tone knob is that it takes a good grip on the knob to pull. Might provide difficult with on-stage sweaty hands.

Most folks would tell you, if you don't have one, get one. I'm not going to tell you that. Just saying the heads-up is if you play clean, you'll hear the difference in the pickups compared to anything with distortion.

Back
Top Bottom