• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

scenes Q

chris

Legend!
i'm looking at the preset now. what cabs were you using in the stereo cab block? they say User 001.

as mentioned above, the Amp Y (Bludo clean) was panned fully left. this can lead to the lower perceived volume compared to the X which is panned center.

Amp Y also had the Bass Mid and Treble basically all the way down. i turned those up half way and instantly Amp Y was just about as loud as X.

so i think those were the 2 major problems here. it was quiet yet clipping because some frequencies were still getting through. but the perceived volume was very low.

after that, it's just a matter of balancing levels. Scene 1 was very close to clipping already. if you were to add a boost of some sort, you would easily clip the outputs.

though there are no numbers or output dB shown on the unit, i use the Utility Status menu with the output meters to gauge my output volume before clipping. personally, i shoot for the output meters to go to about 3/4 for my non-boosted rhythm tone - cleans or distortion. this leaves lots of room for a 4dB or more boost before clipping.

from there, i balance out the clean vs distortion - maybe i'll turn up the distortion one just a bit - yeah it'll be past that 3/4 mark i like, but i know i made room.

so with this in mind, the only difference between this gain staging, and your previous (or current) preset is that you'd be turning up the axe volume knob a bit more, or the powered speaker, mixer, etc. to reach the same perceived volume as before. this is usually not a problem as powered speakers and mixers and all that have room to turn up - the axe output can send a lot of signal.

maybe check out my video on gain staging:

http://blog.katsukurimedia.com/2013/03/preset-gain-staging-and-preventing-internal-clipping-axe-fx-ii/

Last edited:

bluesmostly

Inspired
that is great Chris, thanks a lot, I'm on my way. the video was very helpful as well, I am reworking all my presets, well done.

Top Bottom