Scenes Change with a Midi controller?

JH-2

Inspired
Hi,

Does anyone know how you can change the scene with a normal midi pedalboard with de Axe FX II? it only changes my preset and I need to change by scene.

I have midi Tech 21 Midi Mouse pedalboard.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hey there

CC# 34 selects Scene
CC value is "0" for scene 1 etc.

Got this from another thread, but its correct.

Cheers 🍻

Thanks Chris, I ask because when I change scenes with the computer and Axe edit have a delay, the scene change is not instantaneous.

I figured I'd ask here but with my setup on an RJM mastermind 16 I'm thinking of just having one or two pages.

The thing is I think the only way this will work is I either dial the axe-fx to the patch I want to use OR I will have to send a program change to the patch followed by the scene I want.....question is I know scene changes are gapless but will sending a program change each time (even though its the same preset) mean it will load that one again causing a gap?

There's a setting in the setup menu called "Ignore Redundant PC" which will make it ignore any PC messages that point to a preset you're already on. That should prevent the preset from reloading each time and causing a gap.

The PC will load scene 1 even with Ignore Redundant PC on, so that approach could create additional gaps from amp or cab XY switching. The amp block going X-Y-X or Y-X-Y quickly (where scene 1 is the middle state) seems to add about twice the gap of just switching X-Y or Y-X, around 100 ms instead of 50 ms. Some amp types create a longer gap when switched to; those values are for two of the faster types. Other effects should switch pretty quickly without any major issues but some hiccups in delay sounds are possible if the delay time is different in scene 1.

The PC will load scene 1 even with Ignore Redundant PC on, so that approach could create additional gaps from amp or cab XY switching. The amp block going X-Y-X or Y-X-Y quickly (where scene 1 is the middle state) seems to add about twice the gap of just switching X-Y or Y-X, around 100 ms instead of 50 ms. Some amp types create a longer gap when switched to; those values are for two of the faster types. Other effects should switch pretty quickly without any major issues but some hiccups in delay sounds are possible if the delay time is different in scene 1.

If I'm just switching between scenes but sticking to the same preset it should be find though?

If I'm just switching between scenes but sticking to the same preset it should be find though?
If you just want to change scenes you only want CCs not PCs. Then you need no "special" settings.

I might be wrong but I think the RJM has Axe Fx "integration" so there might be a "native" way to do it on the RJM.

The examples I gave were for staying on one preset. It won't mute the signal (delay/reverb trails) completely like a preset change, but the PC acts like a scene 1 command which can cause dropouts/glitches that might not otherwise be there. I'd avoid sending the PC before every scene CC if possible.

The examples I gave were for staying on one preset. It won't mute the signal (delay/reverb trails) completely like a preset change, but the PC acts like a scene 1 command which can cause dropouts/glitches that might not otherwise be there. I'd avoid sending the PC before every scene CC if possible.
Or whatever the default scene of the preset is...

The Axe Fx III allows defining a Default scene or "as saved" (per preset).

Edit:
Doh! Just realized this was an Axe Fx II thread...

Last edited:
Hi, i have a additional question....I don't want to stay on the same preset
I have a GT22
The first row I want preset 1 and 6 scenes
On the second row preset 2 and 6 scenes
And on the third row preset 3 and 6 scenes
So I have instant access to 18 scenes
Everything works fine, only when I switting change rows (so another Preset)
The first scene i get, is the scene chosen by the Default Scene in global Settings (makes sense to me)
Is there a possibility to ignore the Default Scene setting
Thanks

i've read through the comments and can't find an answer to my problem or maybe i just don't understand - i have an RJM Mastermind GT-22 as my controller - i have it set up to change my presets on my Marshall JMP1 preamp and also to change my loops for my RJM Effect Gizmo and Mini Effect Gizmo - i just picked up the AxeFx 2 XL to use for the effects only and i want to change the scenes using my existing set up does anyone know how i can achieve this? i've been all over Youtube and have been messing with my MMGTEditor but i just can't get it to do what i want - help please and thank you

Is there a possibility to ignore the Default Scene setting
Thanks
Hey there

Save the preset on the scene you prefer to start with, or set it globally to scene1,2,3,4 etc. that you prefer to start.

Sorry now I just understood your problem.
It can be done, but you have to overwrite the global default setting of the fractal. It will start with the default scene and then you push the selected scene.. I have tried this in my custom peddleboard with sysex, but the quick change gives a brief noise. You could solve this issue to start in an empty or volume down scene (8) and then switch instantly, but it will take 1 second to switch and leave you a sound gap.

To switch scenes from other presets, the setlist/songs could be the solution.
Edit: didnt realize this question whas regarding the AFXII.

Cheers 🍻

Last edited:
i've read through the comments and can't find an answer to my problem or maybe i just don't understand - i have an RJM Mastermind GT-22 as my controller - i have it set up to change my presets on my Marshall JMP1 preamp and also to change my loops for my RJM Effect Gizmo and Mini Effect Gizmo - i just picked up the AxeFx 2 XL to use for the effects only and i want to change the scenes using my existing set up does anyone know how i can achieve this? i've been all over Youtube and have been messing with my MMGTEditor but i just can't get it to do what i want - help please and thank you
There is a way to set a default layout for the axe-fx2 I believe this puts 5 scenes in the bottom row. Unfortunately my editor won’t load for some reason tonight but I believe you go to the tab with the gt22 displayed then right click on a button and it’s something like “set as default/axe-fx2”

Your best bet will likely be to use MIDI Mapping in the Axe II and map your various presets and scenes to different MIDI PC numbers. By default, when you load a preset, it will load with the default scene selected (scene 1 usually). MIDI mapping lets you override that and assign specific presets and scenes to different MIDI PC numbers. The settings are located on the MIDI page of the I/O menu.

Back
Top Bottom