Scenes and Delay time settings.

Matt Brown

Hello! I just got an AX8 and I'm loving it.

Quick question.

Is it possible to create different delay time settings per scene but still be able to fine tune if needed via tap tempo? If so, how? If not, Fractal please put on the future firmware upgrade list.

Thanks!

You cannot change parameters per scene, unless you use X/Y, or two Delay blocks, or scene controllers.

Scene controllers would be the direction I would go. That would allow the different tempo setting, and the tap tempo remains as a fine tune option.

Hey Rick, thanks for the info.

I got into scene controllers and assigned one to the delay time parameter. Although it changes the time for that scene, it still does not allow me to fine tune with tap tempo. I'm sure I'm missing something.

Thanks.

To have tap tempo affect delay time you need to set the delay "tempo" parameter to some note value. That parameter doesn't allow attaching a modifier.

Do you want a delay of different rhythmic length in different scenes, or would you be expecting the delay to always be something like a quarter note when tapping a new tempo? There are several ways to do the first thing, but you can't make the the actual tempo change from a scene change alone.

To have tap tempo affect delay time you need to set the delay "tempo" parameter to some note value. That parameter doesn't allow attaching a modifier.

Do you want a delay of different rhythmic length in different scenes, or would you be expecting the delay to always be something like a quarter note when tapping a new tempo? There are several ways to do the first thing, but you can't make the the actual tempo change from a scene change alone.

Hey Bakerman! Thanks for the reply,

I'd like to have a scene with a delay tempo set for a specific song but I would like to have the option of adjusting the tempo via tap.
The problem I'm seeing is that although I can use a scene controller to change the delay time, it won't allow me to use a tap for fine tune because as you've stated:

you need to set the delay "tempo" parameter to some note value. That parameter doesn't allow attaching a modifier.

The other problem is if I have the delay "tempo" parameter set to some note value.. although I now can use the tap I can't attach a scene controller to the delay time for the tempo I want to start with and have to resort to adjusting via tap.

Hope this makes sense

Are you trying to configure different scenes of one preset for different songs? It sounds like storing a preset at the tempo for this song would be the best solution, or part of it.

I'd like to have a scene with a delay tempo set for a specific song but I would like to have the option of adjusting the tempo via tap.

Just pre-set the BPM and save the preset. Set the delay to the note value you want and then go to the tempo screen to change the BPM - this may be where the confusion is, the BPM is not set inside the delay block.

If you use AX8-Edit then the tempo is up near the right corner, which you can type in the value you want.

Note that the BPM is for the preset as a whole, not a specific scene.

If you are trying to set the tempo based on milli-second, there are calculators online that will tell you what BPM to use based on the note value selected.

You can then use the tap-tempo to override the pre-saved BPM if you need.

This is pretty much what I do - I have the tempos all pre-saved per song in each preset, but use the tap tempo if I feel like we have drifted slightly from tempo - we play to a click so it's not often.

Are you trying to configure different scenes of one preset for different songs? It sounds like storing a preset at the tempo for this song would be the best solution, or part of it.

Yeah, I'm starting to realize how this all works out. Presets are where parameter changes can be made, Scenes are on - off states of the blocks within the presets with the exception of scene controllers which is useful but has it's own set of "rules".

Just pre-set the BPM and save the preset. Set the delay to the note value you want and then go to the tempo screen to change the BPM - this may be where the confusion is, the BPM is not set inside the delay block.

If you use AX8-Edit then the tempo is up near the right corner, which you can type in the value you want.

Note that the BPM is for the preset as a whole, not a specific scene.

If you are trying to set the tempo based on milli-second, there are calculators online that will tell you what BPM to use based on the note value selected.

You can then use the tap-tempo to override the pre-saved BPM if you need.

This is pretty much what I do - I have the tempos all pre-saved per song in each preset, but use the tap tempo if I feel like we have drifted slightly from tempo - we play to a click so it's not often.

Thanks for the reply!

I'll have to get into it with your suggestions.

I've got it going right now using a combination of presets and scenes, I'm just looking for the most elegant solution.

Back
Top Bottom