scenes and bypass states

Anthony David

Experienced
Is it possible, when switching scenes, for the new scene to retain the bypass states of effects when they aren't saved that way? Now, when I change a scene, it always defaults to the state I last saved it in. I want to be able to be using scene one and the wah, for example, and then switch to scene two and the wah still be active. Even though the preset is saved with the wah off. I hope that makes sense

so now you've switched to scene 2 - when you go to 1, should the wah be on or off?

Still on. I want the preset to remember the bypass states of effects etc between all scenes. I just want it to revert to the save state once I switch presets.

Basically, I want the effects I turn on, to only turn off once I turn them off or switch presets. I dont want changing scenes to effect effects.

that's exactly what scenes do though.what feature of scenes are you using? maybe you should just use presets.[/QUITE]

Basically I only use two scenes per preset. A clean and distortion. I want to be able to turn wah on the clean scene and then switch to my distortion scene, and the wah still be on. But I want the preset saved with the wah off. Its awkward to be using my clean scene and a wah or whatever, but then switch to distortion and the wah suddenly isn't on anymore. But I want the preset saved with the wah off, because I don't always use it. Sometimes I need to change scenes with it on, sometimes with it off. My only other current option is to save the scenes with wah on, but then I have the reverse problem, I have to turn them off when I dont need them and I switch a scene. Can my scenario be accomplished with scenes or presets? Or will I always have to switch the wah on or off when switching presets or scenes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Press enter (or right click in Axe-Edit) on the "bypass mode" control of a block and select one of the 12 "external" controls. Now a switch (or pedal, getting a sort of auto-engage from this modifier with offset/damping adjustments) that's set to the Ext. Ctrl's CC# will work like you described.

What features are you using now to accomplish the clean/dist switching? (Amp XY, Amp 1/2 bypass/engage, Cab XY or 1/2...?) There might be a better solution for this using 1 or more CC#s without changing scenes.

Press enter (or right click in Axe-Edit) on the "bypass mode" control of a block and select one of the 12 "external" controls. Now a switch (or pedal, getting a sort of auto-engage from this modifier with offset/damping adjustments) that's set to the Ext. Ctrl's CC# will work like you described.

What features are you using now to accomplish the clean/dist switching? (Amp XY, Amp 1/2 bypass/engage, Cab XY or 1/2...?) There might be a better solution for this using 1 or more CC#s without changing scenes.

I'm a little confused. What exactly are the external controllers? The switches on the MFC? I'm completely new at this, sorry.
As for your other question, basically the difference between the clean and distortion scenes, are amp X/Y, drive, sometimes two drives, sometimes both cab X/Y, because I am always using two cabs in stereo. Oh and often there are additional EQs added. Basically I put a lot into the drive, but the drive is always based on the clean. I found scenes much easier to do this than presets. Am I doing something obviously stupid with my preset setup?

See Axe-FX manual section 7.3.7 for details. Your pedal controlling wah is already set up as an Ext Ctrl, likely Ext Ctrl 1. To configure an MFC switch as an Ext Ctrl would mean setting its Axe-FX function to "none" then manually setting the CC# and values of 0/127 for off/on.

If you went to the Axe I/O: CTRL page and set Amp 1 XY, Cab 1 XY, Cab 2 XY, plus an Ext Ctrl all to the same CC#, you could switch amp & cab XY states and bypass/engage other selected blocks with a switch set to that CC#. That might be easier to deal with, especially if you have quite a few effects or want to keep the Axe-FX mode benefits for the other effects (retrieving preset state, LED off indicating effect not present).

See Axe-FX manual section 7.3.7 for details. Your pedal controlling wah is already set up as an Ext Ctrl, likely Ext Ctrl 1. To configure an MFC switch as an Ext Ctrl would mean setting its Axe-FX function to "none" then manually setting the CC# and values of 0/127 for off/on.

If you went to the Axe I/O: CTRL page and set Amp 1 XY, Cab 1 XY, Cab 2 XY, plus an Ext Ctrl all to the same CC#, you could switch amp & cab XY states and bypass/engage other selected blocks with a switch set to that CC#. That might be easier to deal with, especially if you have quite a few effects or want to keep the Axe-FX mode benefits for the other effects (retrieving preset state, LED off indicating effect not present).

Alright, I'm in the manual. So to accomplish this, I would take cc# 16 for external 1. Then change the cc#s for the parameters I want to change to 16 on the axe? Wouldn't that assign to the expression pedal and not the MFC? And what exactly do I do on the MFC aside from setting the IA switch to none? If I do this on one preset, will it also be like this on all the other presets? Like setting an IA to X and that is its function for all presets? Or will it just be like this for this preset? Sorry this is really confusing to me.

From the Scenes Mini Manual:

"SCENE REVERT
A new item in the I/O:MIDI menu of the Axe-*‐Fx II allows selecting between one of two general behaviors for scene recall via MIDI.
With SCENE REVERT OFF (default) modifications to the current scene are “sticky” without saving, even across scene changes. So if you tweak scene 1, switch to scene 2, then back to scene 1, your tweaks will remain intact—until you load an entirely new preset.
With SCENE REVERT ON, modifications are lost whenever you change the scene without saving first. So if you tweak scene 1, switch to scene 2, then back to scene 1, scene 1 will have reverted to its previously saved state. This makes scene changes feel more like traditional preset changes."

Danny W.

From the Scenes Mini Manual:

"SCENE REVERT
A new item in the I/O:MIDI menu of the Axe-*‐Fx II allows selecting between one of two general behaviors for scene recall via MIDI.
With SCENE REVERT OFF (default) modifications to the current scene are “sticky” without saving, even across scene changes. So if you tweak scene 1, switch to scene 2, then back to scene 1, your tweaks will remain intact—until you load an entirely new preset.
With SCENE REVERT ON, modifications are lost whenever you change the scene without saving first. So if you tweak scene 1, switch to scene 2, then back to scene 1, scene 1 will have reverted to its previously saved state. This makes scene changes feel more like traditional preset changes."

Danny W.

I love you. Thanks so much dude

The scene revert setting won't accomplish this. There's no way to have your most recent choice in one scene maintained in the next scene without doing some additional setup work.

Alright, I'm in the manual. So to accomplish this, I would take cc# 16 for external 1. Then change the cc#s for the parameters I want to change to 16 on the axe? Wouldn't that assign to the expression pedal and not the MFC? And what exactly do I do on the MFC aside from setting the IA switch to none? If I do this on one preset, will it also be like this on all the other presets? Like setting an IA to X and that is its function for all presets? Or will it just be like this for this preset? Sorry this is really confusing to me.

Choose any of the other 11 Ext Ctrls. Note the CC#, like Ext Ctrl 2 = CC#17. Set the desired XY functions to the same CC#. Once the switch is configured on the MFC it will control those XY functions in every preset. Ext Ctrl 2 is what can be assigned per preset to bypass blocks in different ways or do other things.

If your presets are consistent enough you might be able to skip the Ext Ctrl part of this. Say you set all amp & drive XYs plus GEQ1 bypass to the same CC#, then set GEQ2 bypass to a different CC#. A general use MFC IA switch can have 2 CC#s (actually more but 2 that are easy to program) and off/on values can be anything, like 0/127 for one CC# and 127/0 for the other. That means by choosing one CC# or the other for these functions in the Axe menu, you can decide whether a block is in X or Y state and engaged or bypassed when the switch is on. Turning the switch on (or off if you prefer) would go from Y to X on all of those blocks, engage GEQ1 and bypass GEQ2 at the same time.

MFC Manual section 12.4.8 describes how to configure general use CCs.

On the first screen you'd want to see something like
IA06 c1 CC#017 Ch01

The "017" is the key part there, IA# will be whichever switch you're configuring, Channel should match Axe channel which is 1 by default.

Then on the screen with values set:

Off000 On127

For the opposite-bypass blocks repeat process for the IA's c2 using the other CC#, with Off127 On000.

You could optionally set an Ext Ctrl to one of those CC#s anyway. That will let you override the usual bypass action with a bypass modifier, per preset.

The scene revert setting won't accomplish this. There's no way to have your most recent choice in one scene maintained in the next scene without doing some additional setup work.

Choose any of the other 11 Ext Ctrls. Note the CC#, like Ext Ctrl 2 = CC#17. Set the desired XY functions to the same CC#. Once the switch is configured on the MFC it will control those XY functions in every preset. Ext Ctrl 2 is what can be assigned per preset to bypass blocks in different ways or do other things.

If your presets are consistent enough you might be able to skip the Ext Ctrl part of this. Say you set all amp & drive XYs plus GEQ1 bypass to the same CC#, then set GEQ2 bypass to a different CC#. A general use MFC IA switch can have 2 CC#s (actually more but 2 that are easy to program) and off/on values can be anything, like 0/127 for one CC# and 127/0 for the other. That means by choosing one CC# or the other for these functions in the Axe menu, you can decide whether a block is in X or Y state and engaged or bypassed when the switch is on. Turning the switch on (or off if you prefer) would go from Y to X on all of those blocks, engage GEQ1 and bypass GEQ2 at the same time.

IA06 c1 CC#017 Ch01

The "017" is the key part there, IA# will be whichever switch you're configuring, Channel should match Axe channel which is 1 by default.

Off000 On127

For the opposite-bypass blocks repeat process for the IA's c2 using the other CC#, with Off127 On000.

You could optionally set an Ext Ctrl to one of those CC#s anyway. That will let you override the usual bypass action with a bypass modifier, per preset.

You were right man, scene revert didn't help. Sucks because it makes it sound like it would in that manual. Misleading a bit. I'm gonna play around with this, try not to get confused and mess everything up. Sounds like doing things this way makes the MFC more versatile than the regular way. Thanks for the help man, I'll get back to you, let you know if I get it working.

IA06 c1 CC#017 Ch01

Off000 On127

Ok this is a lot more simple than it sounds. Took about five minutes to figure it out, following your instructions. Thanks man, I'm really glad I know how to use the CCs now. This is way more versatile that the regular way of assigning IAs, and lets me do other things with the scenes. The axe just blows me away with what it can do. Now we just need an MFC mode in Axe Edit. Again, thanks guys, this is a huge help for a noob.

Back
Top Bottom