Scene switching question

TomGuarino

I’m new to the FM9. I was using the TC Electronics G system for efx (and amp channel switching) but on that unit, when you press a button to switch to another scene it switches immediately as the button is pressed (as the button hits the down position), while with the FM9, it doesn’t actually engage switching of the scene until after the button is pressed and returns to the unpressed (up) position. I have a feeling this is prob programmable but I’m struggling with the footswitch functions guide pdf.

I had a G System for quite a few years. I don't notice a difference with the switching. I don't use the hold function on any switch I care about.

I had a G System for quite a few years. I don't notice a difference with the switching. I don't use the hold function on any switch I care about.
I double checked my G system (+ Mesa Boogie Mark V 4 cable setup) and its definitely amp channel + g system eff switching on press, not on release.

I set it up like 7 yrs ago and don’t recall changing a setting to make it change on press, that’s the way it’s always worked.

Yes, that's correct
Sorry, like I said, I'm brand new to all this so I'm not following... So where exactly do I remove the hold function from the scene switches?

If I’m understanding you correctly, my configuration does not have a hold function defined, so I’d expect it to fire on press, but its not.
In FM9 Edit, this is what’s showing for Scene 1 when I click the FC Per-Prst button.

For Tap, my configuration is:
Category: Scene
Function: Select
Scene: 1
2nd press: Off

For Hold, my configuration is:
Category: Unassigned
Function: --

Sorry, like I said, I'm brand new to all this so I'm not following... So where exactly do I remove the hold function from the scene switches?

If I’m understanding you correctly, my configuration does not have a hold function defined, so I’d expect it to fire on press, but its not.
In FM9 Edit, this is what’s showing for Scene 1 when I click the FC Per-Prst button.

Hi Tom,

The hold function is defined in your button layout. It's not difficult to do, but would take some explaining. I think that your best bet is to check out some YouTube videos where someone shows you step by step how to configure layouts.

I'd start here:

This is a 7 minute long Cooper Carter video explaining how to configure your FM9 for fast, seemless live switching.

Cooper Carter is legendary around here and he does great videos. I think that this will show you what you need to know.

Give it a go and check back in here if you still have questions.

I double checked my G system (+ Mesa Boogie Mark V 4 cable setup) and its definitely amp channel + g system eff switching on press, not on release.

I set it up like 7 yrs ago and don’t recall changing a setting to make it change on press, that’s the way it’s always worked.
He wasn't saying to change anything on the G system. He was saying he doesn't notice any difference in the time to change between that and the FM9.

That looks correct.

Are you experiencing this when changing to scene 1? Have you checked all the scene switches?

Also, how are you confirming when the switch fires?

If you press and hold the switch, it should still fire after a short time whether or not there's a hold.

Are you sure you're not changing Amp block channel when changing scenes and experiencing the related audio gap?

Edit:

You mentioned FC Per Preset... Are you sure you're using per preset switches to change scenes?

Which Layout are you using to change scenes?

Post a screenshot of the layout.

Are you experiencing this when changing to scene 1? Have you checked all the scene switches?
- This happens any time I change from any of the 5 scenes to another scene within my preset.

- When set for example on scene 1 and you do a quick push and let go on switch 2 to change to scene 2, it changes on release.

If you press and hold the switch, it should still fire after a short time whether or not there's a hold.
- If you press and hold the switch, nothing happens, it does not switch to the scene I’m changing to.

Are you sure you're not changing Amp block channel when changing scenes and experiencing the related audio gap?
- Good question, I do follow and Yes, I’m sure. I do change the amp block channel on most scene changes. But Scene 4 and 5 use the same amp block channel and it still does the same thing there.

Edit:
You mentioned FC Per Preset... Are you sure you're using per preset switches to change scenes?
- Yes, I am using per preset.

- I am using layout 7

- Attached are 2 screen shots. my FC Edit page using layout 7 - per preset, and the FC Per-prst page with switch 1 selected.

BTW, thank you so much for all your input, I really appreciate it. This is my first attempt at an modeling setup.

Attachments

• Tom_FM9_FC_Edit.gif
    Tom_FM9_FC_Edit.gif
    242.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Tom_FM9_FC_Per-Prst.gif
    Tom_FM9_FC_Per-Prst.gif
    239.1 KB · Views: 16
- This happens any time I change from any of the 5 scenes to another scene within my preset.

- When set for example on scene 1 and you do a quick push and let go on switch 2 to change to scene 2, it changes on release.

- If you press and hold the switch, nothing happens, it does not switch to the scene I’m changing to.

- Good question, I do follow and Yes, I’m sure. I do change the amp block channel on most scene changes. But Scene 4 and 5 use the same amp block channel and it still does the same thing there.

Edit:
- Yes, I am using per preset.

- I am using layout 7

- Attached are 2 screen shots. my FC Edit page using layout 7 - per preset, and the FC Per-prst page with switch 1 selected.

BTW, thank you so much for all your input, I really appreciate it. This is my first attempt at an modeling setup.
If you look at Layout 7 switch 1 that you are showing in the first screenshot, it HAS a Hold function :)

Try resetting the to be none.

If you look at Layout 7 switch 1 that you are showing in the first screenshot, it HAS a Hold function :)

Try resetting the to be none.
SWEET!!! it worked... Thank you so much, that was driving me crazy; and caused me to not switch on time.
I had thought it was only the FC Per-prst that controlled the switches and what you were first referring to.
I have a lot to learn... this is my first modeling unit.

Now all I have to do is figure out why my lead scene sounds so tinny and I'm good to go. I like all my other scenes.

Hi Tom,

The hold function is defined in your button layout. It's not difficult to do, but would take some explaining. I think that your best bet is to check out some YouTube videos where someone shows you step by step how to configure layouts.

I'd start here:

This is a 7 minute long Cooper Carter video explaining how to configure your FM9 for fast, seemless live switching.

Cooper Carter is legendary around here and he does great videos. I think that this will show you what you need to know.

Give it a go and check back in here if you still have questions.

Thank you the u tube vid was useful.

SWEET!!! it worked... Thank you so much, that was driving me crazy; and caused me to not switch on time.
I had thought it was only the FC Per-prst that controlled the switches and what you were first referring to.
I have a lot to learn... this is my first modeling unit.

Now all I have to do is figure out why my lead scene sounds so tinny and I'm good to go. I like all my other scenes.
Cool!

Back
Top Bottom