Bug? Scene names not loading on boot for preset 001 (FW 4.01b2)

Poparad

Power User
I just got my FM9 this week after using an FM3 for a few years. I ported my FM3 presets over and I've noticed that when I boot the FM9 up, if I last left the unit on preset 001 (first preset with offset numbering), the scene names load blank. Changing the preset to a different one and back fixes it. If the FM9 boots up to a different preset than 001, the scene names load correctly.

I ported my FM3 presets over and I've noticed that when I boot the FM9 up, if I last left the unit on preset 001 (first preset with offset numbering), the scene names load blank. Changing the preset to a different one and back fixes it. If the FM9 boots up to a different preset than 001, the scene names load correctly.
Where did you load the FM3 presets, into which slot numbers, and exactly what steps did you take to transfer them? Have you retried your steps to see if you can duplicate the problem? If you can duplicate the problem then the engineers can try to fix it.

I’ve transferred presets back and forth between my FM9 and FM3, in both directions many times, without problems.

I used a Bank A backup from my FM3 and loaded it into the FM9 via FM9Edit in the preset manager window.. They're all user presets. I'm not at home with my FM9 at the moment, but I can try uploading the preset when I get back later.

OK, I did a little more experimenting and here's what I found:

• It doesn't matter which preset I have saved in the first slot, it's always when the unit boots to preset 001 that it comes up blank. In fact, it's not just the scene names but the entire preset is blank other than the preset name (the grid loads with no blocks).
  • If I save this preset to another slot and reboot the unit, it'll load up just fine, so long as the slot that it boots up to isn't 001.
  • A related bug: I have the global settings set to load the "last used" preset on boot, but if you save a preset to a new number and reboot it, it'll load the previous preset location instead. For example, if I save preset 002 to slot 003, the unit is now on preset 003. However, if I reboot the unit, it'll load preset 002, even though I had it last on 003. It only records a new 'most recent' preset if you manually change to a preset. Saving to a new location doesn't update the record.

I've attached my global settings in case the problem lies in there.

Attachments

• FM9-230307-233933-system+gb+fc.syx
    192.6 KB · Views: 1
OK, I did a little more experimenting and here's what I found:

• It doesn't matter which preset I have saved in the first slot, it's always when the unit boots to preset 001 that it comes up blank. In fact, it's not just the scene names but the entire preset is blank other than the preset name (the grid loads with no blocks).
  • If I save this preset to another slot and reboot the unit, it'll load up just fine, so long as the slot that it boots up to isn't 001.
  • A related bug: I have the global settings set to load the "last used" preset on boot, but if you save a preset to a new number and reboot it, it'll load the previous preset location instead. For example, if I save preset 002 to slot 003, the unit is now on preset 003. However, if I reboot the unit, it'll load preset 002, even though I had it last on 003. It only records a new 'most recent' preset if you manually change to a preset. Saving to a new location doesn't update the record.

I've attached my global settings in case the problem lies in there.
if you turn off the "Last Used" option, then reboot to preset 1, does the problem go away?

if you turn off the "Last Used" option, then reboot to preset 1, does the problem go away?
No, same behavior. If I have it load preset 0, it comes up blank, but if it loads presets 1, 2, etc, they load correctly. I also tried changing the display offset back to 0 but the problem didn't change.

I just tried initializing a blank preset in FM9 and saved it with a few blocks to see if that would work but it loaded blank in the first preset slot, too.

No, same behavior. If I have it load preset 0, it comes up blank, but if it loads presets 1, 2, etc, they load correctly. I also tried changing the display offset back to 0 but the problem didn't change.

I just tried initializing a blank preset in FM9 and saved it with a few blocks to see if that would work but it loaded blank in the first preset slot, too.
Can you try deleting the first preset altogether? Go into Manage Presets, select it and click the delete key. Then save.

Reboot.

Copy / create a new preset into the 1st slot. Save.

Reboot.

Any difference?

If not, I think you should contact support.

Can you try deleting the first preset altogether? Go into Manage Presets, select it and click the delete key. Then save.

Reboot.

Copy / create a new preset into the 1st slot. Save.

Reboot.

Any difference?

If not, I think you should contact support.
I deleted the first preset, restarted, loaded in one of the Gift of Tone FM9 presets that should work and that also booted blank. I'm opening a support ticket now.

New development: I rolled back to FW4.0 and preset 001 loads just fine. Reloaded the new beta and it's still working just fine. I guess I had a cosmic ray bit flip or something when I installed the beta the first time.

New development: I rolled back to FW4.0 and preset 001 loads just fine. Reloaded the new beta and it's still working just fine. I guess I had a cosmic ray bit flip or something when I installed the beta the first time.

Yup happened to me also on AXE III - things get wonky you load an older firmware version then try again with latest firmware and its fine

Sunspots? ;)

Glad it's working!

Those single event upsets are a real thing.

Problem solved! It's apparently a bug in the beta FW when "Ignore redundant patch changes" is set to "on." It's been fixed for the next release.

Back
Top Bottom