Scene Manager and Swapping Scenes...

guitarno

Experienced
I don't know if this problem is specific to the FM9 & FM9-Edit or not, but in the Scene Manager, when I attempt to use the "Swap Scenes" function, it never works properly. The effects never get mapped properly as they were in the scenes before the swap, which forces me to do everything manually which can be very tedious depending on the complexity of the preset.

It may very well be operator error, but I sure don't know what it is, if anything that I am doing wrong. Does anyone use this function without problems? Is there anything special that needs to be done to ensure this works properly?

Thanks, and Happy New Year!!

Once you've swapped the scenes, be sure to save your work. Scenes should swap flawlessly, but immediately following this, click save to insure that the job gets done correctly.

Thanks for your reply but the issue is that they don't swap flawlessly actually. I don't really want to save th preset in the state it's in after a swap that doesn't come out right. I'll have to do some more experimenting to try to find out what's going awry.

The state of effects that were present in the original scene before the swap aren’t preserved in the scene it is swapped to. If I swap scene 1and 2, neither of them are the same as the scenes that they were swapped from. Effects that were turned on are turned off and effects that were turned off are turned on. I’ll have to spend some more time analyzing it, but it simply does not sound right after the swap. I’m not sure why yet. Maybe there are some conflicting control assignments that are interfering with the swap.

Are you using Control Switches or Scene Controllers? I'm pretty certain Scene Controllers don't swap and I'm not sure if CS Per Scene does.

There are no scene controllers being used, but there may be some control switches used. I’ll have to double check things in the morning.

This isn’t something we can duplicate or debug with the information we’ve been given to this point.

Create the smallest and simplest preset that demonstrates the problem and then document the steps needed to duplicate it. Export the preset and attach it to the original post.

We want to help but we need more information.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I probably should have dug further into this before posting. I hate to be the guy who cries wolf prematurely, but I was just frustrated that I couldn't get this function to work like I thought it should. I have had this problem in the past with other presets so I am just trying to understand the rules & limitations of the "Swap Scenes" function in the editor. My understanding of all the nuances of the Fractal system is indeed a work in progress.

There's more going on in this preset than meets the eye at first glance. Actually this preset does use a scene controller, an envelope follower, and a number of pedal 1 & pedal 2 assignments. It is (or was) a purchased preset so I am reluctant to post it and expose someone else's proprietary work. Would screenshots also be unethical?

I have modified it for my own purposes changing some of the pedal assignments and settings for my guitars & use case. I usually need to re-assign pedal assignments on presets that I didn't build from scratch. I like to have all reverb & delay effects assigned to pedal 2 with the heel down position mostly or completely dry and more effects added as it goes to toe down position, so I can vary the ambience for the section of the song and the room I'm in.

I will have to make a copy and strip out the scene controller & experiment if that is the issue, or some of the pedal assignments, or whatever. I just need to wrap my mind around how to use this function

I did finally get the scene swaps I wanted to do completed, but I had to modify each scene manually after the swaps to put them back to what state they were in before the swaps. I had the 1st 4 scenes, and I simply wanted to change them to be in the order used in the song. I could certainly lived with starting off in scene 3, switch to scene 1 next and then to scene 2, and finally to scene 4, but the OCD part of me wanted to put them in order.

When I did the swaps, the on/off state of a couple of blocks flipped and in 1 case the block channel did not carry over, so I had to fix them manually. I still do not know why but I will make a copy and remove some of the assignments, like the scene controller, and see if that was interfering with the swaps. I'll have to do a little researching and, RTFM on this function.

If you can post a screenshot of the modifiers list in the Controllers menu, that would indicate if there's a control switch assigned to any bypass parameters. I think that's the only thing that "should" go wrong with scene swapping as CS Per Scene values aren't swapped.

Also, how are you switching scenes to check states after swapping? If you're using a footswitch and Scene Revert is on, that will revert each scene to the saved state when selected, except for Scene Controller values. You need to either save the preset right after swapping, or only change scenes via editor or front panel controls until saving.

Here's a screenshot of the controllers just for reference.

1704044556786.png

I am actually doing some experimenting with a copy of this preset as we speak, and it seems to be working now. It seems likely that I wasn't doing the swap correctly. I think initially I may not have saved immediately after doing the swap, and I have the FM9 connected via USB and it's possible I did something inadvertantly that interfered with the block on/off states & block channels.
I think @bleujazz3 was right above, and this is just a bit of new user dumbassery on my part.

Thanks for everyone's help in getting this sorted out for me.
Happy New Year! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom