Wish Scene Change Buttons on Row 1

Move Row 1 Preset Buttons to Rows 2 or 3

• I want to move Preset Buttons to Rows 2 or 3 to free up Row 1 for Scene IA's without pressing Reveal

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • I like the MFC just the way it is and never get bored of pressing Reveal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like Tap Dancing and wear Ballet Shoes whilst playing

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
I didn't vote yet as I'm still pulling for my idea of adding mfc AXEFX functions to assign preset switching to IA, but I gotta admit japster, it makes a lot of sense.

Matt said in another post any IA can be converted to any scene, so can't we just make button 1 = scene 1? Skipping the wire swap.

Matt said in another post any IA can be converted to any scene, so can't we just make button 1 = scene 1? Skipping the wire swap.

You can make IA1 Scene 1, but you can't make IA6 (row 2) or IA11 (row 3) select preset 1. If you want to be able to switch both scenes and presets without hitting reveal, you have to use presets on row 1 and scenes on row 2 or 3, and some of us prefer to have scenes on row 1 and presets on row 2 or 3. To do that you currently have to swap cables.

You can make IA1 Scene 1, but you can't make IA6 (row 2) or IA11 (row 3) select preset 1. If you want to be able to switch both scenes and presets without hitting reveal, you have to use presets on row 1 and scenes on row 2 or 3, and some of us prefer to have scenes on row 1 and presets on row 2 or 3. To do that you currently have to swap cables.

What if you skip presets 1-5 and just go upward from 6, is that a work around?

What if you skip presets 1-5 and just go upward from 6, is that a work around?

No it isn’t unfortunately. If you have more than bank size 0, in your example I assume you mean to set a bank size of 10 to get the first two rows of presets. If you hit reveal, all of the preset buttons gets disabled and whatever reveal function will be used, so it’s really no different from bank size of 5 and hit reveal to switch row 1 between preset 1-5 and scene 1-5.

the trick with my config is that you hit reveal just once… at the start of the gig / session..
you then remain in reveal throughout
I consider preset slots 1 thru 5 as being my "performance area", so I load the presets I need for that band / project into those slots before hand..
it's no biggie..
but it does mean that I can remain in reveal mode and switch scenes / fx / presets with a nice and natural feeling layout..
I've gigged this config [that specific band only needed two multi-function presets to get through the gig] and it worked a treat..

I've come up with an MFC config where:
Row1 = scenes / IA's together
Row2 = IA's for single fx
Row3 = Presets 1 thru 5

from a performance standpoint it works a treat..
however, it limits me to only 5 presets for a gig [possibly 10 presets if I don't need 6 thru 10 often]

Is this done by moving ribbon cable from Row 1 to Row 3 ?

no, it's done using the config in the MFC

So, with your configuration, you could have scenes on 1-5, I/A's on 6-10, and presets on 11-15 without swapping cables, but you have to be in reveal mode with no bank "up"/"down" control. Is that correct?

So, with your configuration, you could have scenes on 1-5, I/A's on 6-10, and presets on 11-15 without swapping cables, but you have to be in reveal mode with no bank "up"/"down" control. Is that correct?

yes..
I can bank up / down.. but there's a bit of a catch.. and so long as you're aware of it you'll be ok..

if I hit IA12 for example, that'll take me to preset 2 [row3 IA's are nailed to presets 1 thru 5], so if I bank up it'll take my to preset 7 [bank size = 5]..
so, if I wanted preset 8, I need to hit IA13 then bank up..

yup… it's a limitation… but!! I only change presets between songs [so I have plenty of time].. and!! I'd only ever place presets in the 2nd bank that be required only for a single song..

so… here's an example of the plan I have [from a performance angle]…
my 'performance area' is currently loaded with presets for a band called Civilians [the last band I gigged with]..
this is just presets 1 and 2 [that's all I needed for the entire set]
- note: my presets all contain riff / clean / solo / misc1 / misc2 scenes <-- which is a lot of functionality

let's say that the DC Band want me to tour..
they send me the set list.. imagine that for this I determine that I need 6 presets..
at least one of the presets [more likely more than one] would be required just for a single song
I'll load up the presets I use most often from the lowest preset slot in my performance area..
so the main preset would be in slot 1, the next most used would be in slot 2 and so on..
the 'once used' preset would be in slot 6 [IA11 then up bank]..
let's say that the following song needs preset 3, I'd simply hit IA13 and it'll take me straight there..
changing presets / scenes / fx etc is all part of practice [just as much as playing is]..
so for me.. when I get to the song requiring preset 6.. the footwork to get there is just part of my performance [no different to switching scene to take a solo]..

sure this solution has limitations.. but I reckon it's the best option available [without opening up the MFC] until the MFC gets better capabilities developed in this area

EDIT: so just to summarise
I remain in reveal mode throughout the performance [gig / practice / etc]
power up, hit reveal.. it's now a habit
I only change preset between songs [row 3]
scene changes are my principle means of tone changes within songs [row 1]
on the odd occasion I may want to call up a specific fx block [row 2]
to make it work the only 'effort' overhead is loading the presets you need in the designated 'performance area' [preset slots 1 thru 5] before hand.. it only takes a few minutes.. and only applies if you are in more than one band [which I am] and if you have different banks of presets for practice and live [which I do]..

Last edited:
Hi Clarky

Will have to try this out, having swapped my cables on Row1 & 2 in the interim it's confusing the hell outta me with Bank Up/Down reversed :lol

Hi Clarky

Will have to try this out, having swapped my cables on Row1 & 2 in the interim it's confusing the hell outta me with Bank Up/Down reversed :lol

Yep - big labels are in order. And also, I have set edit (that’s now on the first row) to only be enabled with a long press as it would be severely annoying pressing edit when not meant to.

I hope some day that FAS come up with something like a "row assign" feature where you can assign a row of IA's to be either IA or preset..
if they could do this I'd have rows 1 and 2 assigned to IA's and row 3 as presets [bank size = 5]
this would be my utopian config.. and make all the planets in Claky's lil' universe align..

Hi,

This is still in consideration. I'll be working with the MFC developer next week.

A comment in passing: a poll with "screwball" answers is hard to take seriously.
Please write your poll questions such that the answers are:

YES
NO
NO OPINION/DO NOT CARE

Yes, good to know you guys are looking into it. I can already assign any button to do scenes with my Liquid Foot Jr, and having some control over which row does what would be a major improvement for the MFC.

Back
Top Bottom