Wish Scene Change Buttons on Row 1

Move Row 1 Preset Buttons to Rows 2 or 3

• I want to move Preset Buttons to Rows 2 or 3 to free up Row 1 for Scene IA's without pressing Reveal

Votes: 22 91.7%
  • I like the MFC just the way it is and never get bored of pressing Reveal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I like Tap Dancing and wear Ballet Shoes whilst playing

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

Japster

Inspired
Scene Change Buttons on Row 1 (Preset Buttons on Row 2 or 3)

I know this has been raised before and many MFC users have taken to Swapping Ribbon cables to achieve this (see post below)

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-d...-cant-get-great-answer-one-but-here-goes.html

Has this been implemented yet ? Matt commented on the above post saying "It is a doozy, and MFC backups from previous versions would most likely not be compatible with the new version"

Inadvertently changing patch while trying to change Scenes on Row 2 is really messing up my live shows, please please please can we have this in the next MFC Firmware ? :encouragement:

Last edited:
Not even a "soon" from what I know... I set up a "scene +" and "scene -" on my MFC IA no 16 and 17. Works great for now and dont have to mess with reveal

Yes I have thought of a Scene +/- but I still can't put that on row 1 without using reveal
Sometimes I'm changing from scene 4 -> 1 so it doesn't really work for me anyway as that would mean 3 button presses

If you really need it, I would just swap the cables. It takes about 10 minutes (most of that removing/reinstalling screws), and they may never implement a firmware fix.

If you really need it, I would just swap the cables. It takes about 10 minutes (most of that removing/reinstalling screws), and they may never implement a firmware fix.

Time to get my screwdriver out I think :roll

Time to get my screwdriver out I think :roll

I play on a worship team where the songs change every week and range from progressive Christian (Jesus Culture, Lincoln Brewster, Hillsong) to traditional church hymns.
I've been asking for this feature for a long time too, but since there's been no movement, I bought the RJM Mastermind GT-16.
Now I have everything I imagined and more...
Untitled Document

Here's how I'm using the GT-16:
1st Row: Scene's (with Scene labels that change for different amp models) and Tap Tempo (with real time BPM displayed on the button)
2nd Row: Amps (with Amp name labels change for each bank) and a Reveal button that jumps to the "Pedal Pages"
3rd Row: Bank change, Looper and Tuner (Displays on the main LCD window).
See images below from the setup software and my iphone.

You might ask, why have another reveal button?
The "5" Scenes I program for each Amp model take care of ninety percent of the songs. Every once in a while, I need some special effect and rather than change my core scenes for one song, I put that pedal or setting on the second page. I added a "jump to main" button, so I can easily jump back to the main page.

With the latest release of firmware, you can have Press and hold a button for a second function and have up to 4 states for an IA button.
RJM Music Technology Forum - View topic - MASTERMIND GT 2.0 FIRMWARE

The software editor is great and makes it easy to change from one layout to another. I am able to switch between controlling the Axe and the Kemper in about 15 seconds.
They make a power injector box so I only run one midi cable from my rack to the controller.

Here's a link to my original post with some photos. Having issues adding images today...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/other-midi-controllers/80638-poll-mfc-vs-liquidfoot-vs-something-else-4.html#post1047227

Great idea with the ribbon swap....haven't seen that solution before.
BUT...it would just be so must easier to get rid of the bank-size parameter and be able to define every button as either an IA or a preset button.
It sounds like an easy fix, but apparently it isn't.

This post was from January 23th:

Once Matt gets back from NAMM we'll look into this as a feature for the next firmware.

Last edited:
I think this should be converted to a poll (ie. Firmware version supporting Scene switch assignments to alternate rows).

i'm confused, I have scenes set up on switches 1-8 on my MFC, I'm sure that I'm not following somewhere but how is what I do different from what others are looking for?

i'm confused, I have scenes set up on switches 1-8 on my MFC, I'm sure that I'm not following somewhere but how is what I do different from what others are looking for?

They want the lower row of switches to do IAs and the top row to do patch changes. They don't want to give up patch change switches, just move them to the top row.

oh ok. Yeah, I have scenes and fx on/off for all my IA's and just use up/down to switch presets. if you know your set, it takes as much time to use up/down as it does to hit a switch for patch change...seems like a fairly insignificant compromise.

(that being said, I also understand wanting things exactly the way you want them)

oh ok. Yeah, I have scenes and fx on/off for all my IA's and just use up/down to switch presets. if you know your set, it takes as much time to use up/down as it does to hit a switch for patch change...seems like a fairly insignificant compromise.

(that being said, I also understand wanting things exactly the way you want them)

Yup. That's how I roll as well. I can do an entire song on one patch so I don't need easy access to patch changes.

I kind of wish you could reverse the REVEAL feature. So you can have all 15 IAs and then hold down REVEAL to turn them in to PCs.

We all want something different. :)

I have made the modification of moving the ribbon cables and it feels a lot more natural to me. Before I used various different setups including using presets on IA 1-5 and external switches to change scenes, and most of the time I used presets 1-5 and reveal to do scene 1-5. Currently I have preset 1-5 on IA 11-15 (row 3) and Scene 1-4 on IA 1-4 and tap on IA 5 (row 1). I further have preset 1-5 for my strat, preset 6-10 for my Les Paul and preset 11- for specific songs. I normally use a preset per amp type so Preset 3 for instance is my Plexi preset and Scene 1 is normal, 2 boosted, 3 lead and 4 lead with delay. I find that I’m constantly trying out new amps and settings with the band so often I have 1 or two presets that is trial to see if I can improve on something so at the moment preset 4 is a Bogner XTC Blue that I’m A/B:ing with my Plexi preset. Having instant access to both presets and scenes makes this process very intuitive. I’m not a big effects guy so I have Flanger, Phaser, Chorus, … when reveal is enabled so alternative functions on row 3 with my setup which makes a lot more sense. I could obviously work it before as well and the currents setup is just more natural: Scenes and Tap on row 1, Boosts, Drive and Delay on row 2, presets on row 3 and modulation effects that I rarely use with reveal on row 3.

Is it possible to add a few things to the MFC to allow setting your preset "bank" switches anywhere? Something like "Bank Size: Custom" and add new AXEFX functions (default IA mapping assignments on the MFC) for "Preset 1", "Preset 2", "Preset 3", etc.

This would allow you to assign any IA switch to increment by the preset offset number just like you assign "drive 1" or whatever. Or has this been asked already?

Yes by default the Scene IA switches are hidden beneath the Preset Buttons on Default MFC config. However you have to hit reveal to get to them, then hit reveal to get back again. This works ok if you remember to hit reveal or dont need to change preset mid song else you can easily end up in a right mess.

I like the idea Iaresee mentioned "Reverse Reveal" but again it involves the opposite of the above to change Preset.

Think ultimately what we want is to move the "Preset Row" to Row 2 or 3, that way we can do what we want with Row 1

I've come up with an MFC config where:
Row1 = scenes / IA's together
Row2 = IA's for single fx
Row3 = Presets 1 thru 5

from a performance standpoint it works a treat..
however, it limits me to only 5 presets for a gig [possibly 10 presets if I don't need 6 thru 10 often]

Back
Top Bottom