Scene 3/4, 5/6, etc... toggle for footswitch 1-8 on the AX8?

fuzzy

I'm assuming the answer to this is "no" since I saw a wishlist request for this function... but this is not currently possible right? I haven't seen anything on Axe-Edit that would allow me to do this, but I only ask because:

a) I saw that it's sort of possible with a MIDI pedal (https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/assign-scene-1-2-toggle-to-external-switch.124941/)
b) I was looking into potentially getting the Gigwrx magnetic labels for my AX8, and he/she/they? totally have scene 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 as options, and I'm wondering why that would be an option if it was "impossible"?

I appreciate any help/clarification on this!

It's not possible on the Ax8 itself. If you have a programmable external midi controller, you could potentially do it. Scene change is #CC34 with a value 0-7 for scene 1-8 so depending on capability of the midi controller, it would toggle between #CC34 value 2 and 3 to switch between scene 3 and 4 on one button.

Ok cool, thanks! Any recommendations on a slim 4-5 button MIDI controller I could use for this?

Preferably one that will be easier to set-up since I'm newer to MIDI. From my research here on the forums I can only see something like the Voes MC-5 or the Tech 21 Mongoose as options (leaning towards the Tech 21 Mongoose because of it's shape), but I'm open to any suggestions on this one because it's really an area I don't know too much of yet.

Having this type of setup can save some switches and seems like a good idea at first.........

Just so you know.... Having the switches setup like that can cause some issues. Let's say you are on scene 1 and you need to go to scene 4. You will have to press the '3/4' switch twice. So you will hear scene 3 real quickly first. If scene 3 had a delay or whatever, you will get a short burst of delay and the trails.

Not sure if the Tech 21 Mongoose can send CC commands? Especially specific values?

You can also look at the Morningstar MC-6 (but not very easy to program)

Having this type of setup can save some switches and seems like a good idea at first.........

Just so you know.... Having the switches setup like that can cause some issues. Let's say you are on scene 1 and you need to go to scene 4. You will have to press the '3/4' switch twice. So you will hear scene 3 real quickly first. If scene 3 had a delay or whatever, you will get a short burst of delay and the trails.

But we already have this "problem" with the scene 1/2 switch. If you map out your scenes in a clever way, it won't be a problem. If you for instance program scenes 1, 3, 5 and 7 to be your "main" sounds, and scenes 2, 4, 6 and 8 to be a slight variation of these sounds with maybe delay or a mod effect added, then it won't be a problem. This is the way I set up my presets. (Preset 1 through 4 being my most used sounds, and adding different effects appropriate to the sound using scene 1/2)

To some, it might not be ideal to switch between scenes this way, but adding this feature shouldn't mean that you need to remove the old way of switching scenes.

But we already have this "problem" with the scene 1/2 switch. If you map out your scenes in a clever way, it won't be a problem. If you for instance program scenes 1, 3, 5 and 7 to be your "main" sounds, and scenes 2, 4, 6 and 8 to be a slight variation of these sounds with maybe delay or a mod effect added, then it won't be a problem. This is the way I set up my presets. (Preset 1 through 4 being my most used sounds, and adding different effects appropriate to the sound using scene 1/2)

To some, it might not be ideal to switch between scenes this way, but adding this feature shouldn't mean that you need to remove the old way of switching scenes.
I understand. It's been asked for a few times before. That's why scene 1/2 was added. It was basically for those that just use 2 scenes, rhythm and Lead. Once you start adding more scenes it becomes less useful to most? If Fractal audio doesn't see it's value, then I don't think that you will see it implemented? Unless a major Artist want's it. But it doesn't hurt to ask.

You know, the other times I've seen this come up I definitely couldn't see any reason or effective way to actually use it. But now I can get it... If you've got a kitchen sink preset that has 3-4 main sounds (clean crunch rhythm lead) and then you have a standard palette of FX (boost chorus reverb delay) then you could utilize this feature. Dual scene buttons across the bottom, the first press of each always goes to the lower scene. So if you're on scene 2 and press the 3/4 button, it goes to 3. So your bottom 4 buttons will jump straight to your 4 main tones, and then from each of those you can hit it again to have a scene that adds in whatever combo of your available fx or XY or whatever. You still have access to scenes mode if you need to jump straight to an upper scene and you still have 4 buttons available for other use. I bet that setup would work well for a lot of people.

Interesting.

I understand. It's been asked for a few times before. That's why scene 1/2 was added. It was basically for those that just use 2 scenes, rhythm and Lead. Once you start adding more scenes it becomes less useful to most?
I rarely use it for that reason... you always have to go to the "other" scene. I can see its' usefulness, just not the way I usually set it up.

@Moke - yeah you're right. I mean I really only wanted to do a Scene 3/4 because of the kind of style that 3 & 4 are (like 1 and 2 with just some fx + clean & crunch)

@booner - thanks for the suggestion on the MIDI pedal. It's a bit out of my price range, but I think after reworking my AX8 footswitches, I don't really need it right now anyway.

@ChainOfThought - that's what I was thinking too, then I realized I could do that over different presets, and just keep one main set with a couple variants over that preset too. It made me realize that having those many scene toggles would be unnecessary (that 3/4 would still be pretty cool though o_O)

that's what I was thinking too, then I realized I could do that over different presets, and just keep one main set with a couple variants over that preset too. It made me realize that having those many scene toggles would be unnecessary (that 3/4 would still be pretty cool though o_O)

Yea pretty much. I just do s1-3 across the bottom on my main preset to hit clean crunch and high gain, then have switches for each effect. I don't actually do much with scenes yet, so when I do I just use the f switch. This is definitely one of those where I can see using it and how I could implement it, or I could also think through other ways to accomplish the same using existing features that might wind up smoother anyways.

Another cool one, I think, would be if you disable hold for xY and enable hold for scene. So you can set up all 8 switches for whatever, and if you hold any of them then you get the corresponding scene. Seems intuitive and useful to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

In lieu of this feature, I have my F2 long hold mapped to Sticky Scenes. For presets that I know require more than a quick Scene 1/2 toggle or effect toggle, I just switch to this mode. I'll admit, I don't use it often and I really stumbled upon it by accident. One day at practice, I wasn't able to toggle any of the main foot switch effects I have assigned on/off. I later realized that I was in "Sticky Scene Mode" when I accidentally long pressed F2. I was switching scenes rather than my assigned foot switch settings. The quick flashing light on the AX8 helps identify this mode. Now I know, and haven't made this mistake since.

I'd try it for awhile. Like a lot of things in life, you'll probably get used to it.

Another cool one, I think, would be if you disable hold for xY and enable hold for scene. So you can set up all 8 switches for whatever, and if you hold any of them then you get the corresponding scene
+1 to this. That's a really cool idea I was actually wondering about myself too

I was switching scenes rather than my assigned foot switch settings. The quick flashing light on the AX8 helps identify this mode. Now I know, and haven't made this mistake since.

I'd try it for awhile. Like a lot of things in life, you'll probably get used to it.
I was thinking about that too, but recently just took my Scene Preset/sticky off the F2 and changed it to a Preset Up (down on the F3) and Sticky with a Looper. I would be totally into this if you could rename a Scene, because then I would be able to just hop around with that menu. Instead what I'm doing is that I just ordered some GigWrx Magnetic labels and will be trying to keep the footpedals (mostly with scenes) consistent so I can identify which scene = which one of my settings that I like per preset.

As proposed above, I have e.g.

S1: clean / S5: clean boost
S2: chorus / S6: more chorus
S3: crunch / S7: crunch & delay
S4: lead / S8: solo

realized with a 5 switch midi controller. The "1st row" of scenes are my main scenes, the "2nd row" of scenes is basically the same with more effects. So I don't mind passing the 1st row of scenes very shortly. Actually I never even noticed that I passed another scene this way.

I'm heavily voting for additional S3/4, S5/6 and S7/8 (sorry, I meant S1/5, 2/6, 3/7 and 4/8, see below). This would not eat any resources, not be difficult to implement (S1/2 is already there) and finally nobody has to use it, if he doesn't like it...

Regards,
glombi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom