Satch's book, a thought on amp in the room. A short story.

I can maybe give some better input after I try my Friedman ASC-10 at next Practice.
But for me I left my Axe II behind when I realized I was luggin a Half Stack + Modeler + Foot Controller to get the Feel of a guitar singing to where it feels like its playing itself.
For me FRFR just never got "in the same room"

FastForward to playing Smaller Venues & fighting a 1x12 Combo to tame the Volume & when I got the Volume Down to where it needed to be the Combo lost it's feel...

So a Modeler FRFR is now my better choice.
Going to Try just the Friedmen ASC10 first, but may try runnin the ASC10 behind me with my RCF NX 12-SMA in front of me

I'm guessing you haven't listened to his last 4-5 albums? Starting from Professor Satchifunkilus...

I have. I think his last truly great album was Strange Beautiful Music though, nearly 2 decades ago. Man I’m old.

Satch to me is a victim of his own success. Early on he figured out a great formula for how to write songs a certain way, and he stuck to that even after a lot of his fans moved on. And it’s a great formula, nothing wrong with it, I’d give my left nut to write like that, but he’s competing with his younger self, and that just doesn’t work. You gotta change to avoid that. Yngwie has the same problem.

I think there's also a limit what you can do with this kind of instrumental guitar music, if your style revolves around pyrotechnically advanced shred lead guitar its kinda hard to make atmospheric ambient stuff with minimal guitar. If he was a singer first and foremost he probably could, because you could retire the guitar for an album or two, but he's not, he's a shred guitarist. There's only so much you can do with that. A Radiohead could shift from guitar rock to dance and complicated rhythmical stuff because their music doesn't revolve about one guy's ability to shred. And that excludes how far your audience is willing to shift along with you. As I doubt that Satch's audience wants him to do Radiohead kind of stuff.

Back
Top Bottom