santana Black Magic Woman Patch

There were Santana presets in the stock presets somewhere before version 10, I believe.

You can look at those with an older Axe Edit and steal the gist of it.

IMO, these signature sounds should always stay and the (soon) boring special FX presets should come in a user downloadable bank ;)

I have the multitrack for BMW. If you want to hear the guitar by itself, it will be much, much easier to make a patch for it.

I'm pretty sure Carlos was using the neck pickup of his Les Paul Custom into the early modified Princeton Boogie (prior to the Boogie Mark 1). I would start with USA Clean 1 and crank it up. See if that gets you into the ballpark.

Terry.

I'm pretty sure Carlos was using the neck pickup of his Les Paul Custom into the early modified Princeton Boogie (prior to the Boogie Mark 1). I would start with USA Clean 1 and crank it up. See if that gets you into the ballpark.

Terry.

This is what I always thought too. The guitar might have been a Les Paul Special (SG shaped) with P90's? But it sounds like the neck pup with a little bit of the guitar tone knob backed off too.

The video below is what I'm basing my Les Paul Custom comment on, along with some reading I've done over the years. This live cut sounds pretty close to the original recording to me, and it appears to be from the same time period. Neal Schon has a P90 equipped Les Paul but Carlos is using humbuckers. I guess what matters most is whether the tone in the video below is what the OP is looking for.

FWIW, I think in general terms that Carlos used the Les Paul Special (SG shaped) with P90's at Woodstock and to record Santana I. The Les Paul Custom became his instrument of choice on Abraxas. I remember reading that his SG was very difficult to keep in tune, but the band wouldn't let him buy a new guitar. He eventually got frustrated enough to break it, and force the issue. Don't quote me on any of this though!

Terry.

Shouldn't be too hard...his current rig has a pedal for some dirt.
Plug in that amp, then a Cab from that era...then tweak w/ the mic selection types to zero in.
Remember - many artists record at very high volume...to get overtones we can't easily obtain...nor the feedback of the gtr.

Lastly, here is the only version I listen to: Santana - Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen - YouTube

For me....the "MoonFlower" version rocks!

I mix licks from both the original and this when playing live.

Simulate a Mark 1 with a drive/boost kicked in later on. Texas, Triaxis Ld 2 Green or the USA Mark IV patches.

you are so right. although the special FX sounds show the diversity on the AXE FX,,,,,, we would rarely use them.

getting the sounds used by the greats will be of more use to the majority of the users.

Hopefully Cliff would get this post.

Back
Top Bottom