SAG

trancegodz

Power User
Should SAG be set to zero when using a real tube power amp like the Mesa Boogie 50/50 and a couple of real cabs, or should it just be turned down, and if so by how much?

Turning it to zero seems to make everything sound better with the above setup, but I am wondering if it still needs to be on but just lowered a lot?

Below is everything I could find about SAG:

Setting SAG (see below) to zero will disable Power Amp simulation, at which point the MASTER becomes a simple level control with 40 dB of range.

MAINS IMPEDANCE (SAG) — This controls power amp dynamics. Higher settings simulate higher power supply impedance, and thus greater tube plate voltage “droop,” for a more compressed feel. This control interacts with the Master and will have little effect if the power amp is not being pushed. As the power amp is pushed and draws more virtual current from its virtual power supply, the Sag control will have more effect.

* IMPORTANT: Turning this control fully counterclockwise defeats power amp simulation for an individual AMP block so you can use it as a PREAMP into an external tube power amp without globally disabling power amp simulation.

Turning SAG to zero disables power amp simulation for the preset. The SAG control has no effect at all when Power amp simulation is switched off in the Global menu.

MAINS IMPEDANCE (SAG) – In a tube amplifier there are physical components of the amp which impede the flow of power in the instance of large transient signal spikes (like slamming a hard power chord). Principally, the transformers, filter capacitors, and rectifier (if it’s a vacuum tube). The power supply voltage falls off in the spike, producing a momentary ‘squish’ in the signal, known as “Sag”. Solid state amps do not produce this effect, only Class AB tube amps (there is no sag in true class A amps as full output power is always present). Sag is what makes old tube amps sound/feel cool. That dynamic reactance to your playing. Our control goes from 0.01 to 10.0 (a 0.00 setting turns the power amp emulation completely off, leaving you with just the preamp portion of the simulation). The closer to 0.01, the tighter and more solid-state like the attack will be (essential for extreme hi gain settings). The closer to 10.0, the looser the feel and string attack. I personally love sag (being an old guy), and wish we had an even greater range with this control. Try dialing more Sag into your next patch!

Early valve amplifiers usually used unregulated power supplies. This was due to the high cost associated with high-quality high-voltage power supplies. The typical anode supply was simply a rectifier, an inductor and a filter capacitor. When the valve amplifier was operated at high volume, the power supply voltage would dip, reducing power output and causing signal attenuation and compression. This dipping effect is known as "sag", and is sought after by some electric guitarists.[10] Sag only occurs in Class AB amplifiers. This is because, technically, sag results from more current being drawn from the power supply, causing a greater voltage drop over the rectifier valve. In a Class A amplifier, current draw is constant, so sag does not occur.

As this effect is more pronounced with higher input signals, the harder "attack" of a note will be compressed more heavily than the lower-voltage "decay", making the latter seem louder and thereby improving sustain. Additionally, because the level of compression is affected by input volume, the player can control it via their playing intensity: playing harder results in more compression or "sag". In contrast, modern amplifiers often use high-quality, well-regulated power supplies. In theory, these keep the supply voltage constant, but in reality there is still some small variation, largely due to resistive losses in the cabling from the power supply to the gain stage.

Last edited:
As the info you posted shows. Sag to zero turns off power amp sims. This sounds like a good thing to your ears. So try turning all power amp sims off in global. A lot of folks using a heavily colored tube power amp turn power amp sims off. When I used a Mesa 2:90 I like em on as it gave me more tweakage. But your ears may like em off.

Depends on your power amp: how much it colors, how much headroom there is (early breakup?) and how hard you're pushing it.
Generally speaking, if your power amp is rather neutral or not pushed that hard, it's advised to leave the p.a. sim on (= sag not zero), as it's important for many amp sims.

I use a FRFR rig (active monitor) though, so there'll be people chiming in with more experience than me.

As the info you posted shows. Sag to zero turns off power amp sims. This sounds like a good thing to your ears. So try turning all power amp sims off in global. A lot of folks using a heavily colored tube power amp turn power amp sims off. When I used a Mesa 2:90 I like em on as it gave me more tweakage. But your ears may like em off.

Do you lower the SAG value at all, or just leave it as it was originally set when you use your Mesa 2:90?

I use my Axe II into my 5150 fx return to use it as a tube power amp only. Most people say I should not use the power amp sims in this set up but honestly I like it better w/the power amp sims on.

I right now my presets are maximized for my cover band so I vary how much sag I effect I use. Like on my classic rock presets I like alot of sag, I love the feel it gives on a Plexi cranking out Jukebox Hero! On the other hand when we're doing more modern stuff I like it lower to tighten up the sound. Though I have had some good results dialing in a lil more sad on some models like the Das Metal or the Eng model int the Axe.

I use my Axe II into my 5150 fx return to use it as a tube power amp only. Most people say I should not use the power amp sims in this set up but honestly I like it better w/the power amp sims on.

I right now my presets are maximized for my cover band so I vary how much sag I effect I use. Like on my classic rock presets I like alot of sag, I love the feel it gives on a Plexi cranking out Jukebox Hero! On the other hand when we're doing more modern stuff I like it lower to tighten up the sound. Though I have had some good results dialing in a lil more sad on some models like the Das Metal or the Eng model int the Axe.

Do you also use the 5150 in 4 cable method when setting sag for some presets? Just wondering if you are setting individual presets for 4CM and adjusting for presets and then differently for presets that use the return only for the power amp section?

I have had my Axe 2 for about a month and a half and I use the power section of my JVM410 and I keep power amp sim on, but I turn the high and low resonance down for some amp models as sometimes it adds to much highs and lows. It sounds great this way.

I have the same setup (except only a single 4x12 with V30's) and am trying to get a good sound as well. I have only had the Axe FX II for a couple weeks now. First I was running it direct into my Mark IV's power amp and it sounded really good with the amp sim on. Now with this 50/50, it sounds a little too harsh with the sim on, but too dull with it off.

One thing I still want to try a little more is having the amp sim off, but cranking up the presence knob on the 50/50 and see if that adds a little bite. Otherwise I'm going to have to be doing more tweaking than I expected.

Let me know if you find settings you like. I'm mostly going for a heavier punk/metal tone.

I have had my Axe 2 for about a month and a half and I use the power section of my JVM410 and I keep power amp sim on, but I turn the high and low resonance down for some amp models as sometimes it adds to much highs and lows. It sounds great this way.

That sounds like the issue I am having. I'll try that out.

Leaving the SAG set to it's default setting sounds terrible to me when using the 50/50 power amp. There is no low end and everything is very thin sounding (almost out of phase sounding) and nothing at all like the preset normally sounds when going direct to studio monitors.

I read somewhere on the forum that the SAG needed to be changed by some amount to sound right if you were using the Matrix solid state preamp.
Is there something similar that needs to be done when using a tube power amp?

Does the fact that a real tube power amp is being used dictate that the SAG should at least be lowered by some amount?
Is there a certain amount it needs to be lowered by?

Top tip for the 50/50 from recent experience - turn the volumes up as far as you can before it becomes too noisy (usually a large amount of hiss starts around 8 ). This gives it headroom and the 6l6s will be providing the warmth. You then control the overall cab/speaker volume from the Axe output volume knob for whatever Out you use to the power amp.

If you keep the 50/50's volumes down then the input tubes will distort earlier and that adds the edgy/harsher tone (which if you want that effect then dial it on the Axe).

Top tip for the 50/50 from recent experience - turn the volumes up as far as you can before it becomes too noisy (usually a large amount of hiss starts around 8 ). This gives it headroom and the 6l6s will be providing the warmth. You then control the overall cab/speaker volume from the Axe output volume knob for whatever Out you use to the power amp.

If you keep the 50/50's volumes down then the input tubes will distort earlier and that adds the edgy/harsher tone (which if you want that effect then dial it on the Axe).

I tried this out today and found it did the opposite for me. I even tested it out by taking my guitar and putting it directly into input A, then playing with the volume knob. At around 2-3 on the amp's volume the sound was clean, even with the guitar volume turned all the way up. When I took the amp volume up to the 7-8 area, the sound breaks up a lot and gives you a thick warm distortion.

I've got a power amp setup along with an FRFR setup, and I leave the sims on with the power amp. It just sounds better.

Back
Top Bottom