Sad news, Randall Smith booted from MESA

Is that a JBL in there??
At that time the premium speaker upgrade was an Altec 417-8H, which is what that one is. It’s the speaker in the classic Carlos Santana amps, and has a very powerful and punchy tone. It’s also a heavyweight that helps make this tiny combo heavier than it looks, especially combined with the serious iron Randy was using for transformers. It still sounds wonderful.

At that time the premium speaker upgrade was an Altec 417-8H, which is what that one is. It’s the speaker in the classic Carlos Santana amps, and has a very powerful and punchy tone. It’s also a heavyweight that helps make this tiny combo heavier than it looks, especially combined with the serious iron Randy was using for transformers. It still sounds wonderful.

I wonder if there is an ir of that in the axe?

I wonder if there is an ir of that in the axe?
One from an old list is 097 Altec, which is a 2x12 open back cab based on this speaker. It should be like a big combo cab. I’m not sure if it’s FAS or if one of the other makers modeled it.

Looking in the wiki now. It might be in the legacy cabs.

Update: 295, 296, 297, 298 in factory bank 1 are from Ownhammer, based on a 1x12 Fender Deluxe cab with the Altec 417-8H in it. Will have to check my legacy list when I fire up the FM9 to see if the old Santiago cab is there.

I saw a 4x12 (!) on the OH site based on the Altec. I’d love to hear one of those, but it must weigh as much as a Prius.

Last edited:
Not sure how it happened, special request or what, but my Mark-nothing had a JBL 15".

Not sure how it happened, special request or what, but my Mark-nothing had a JBL 15".
That’s actually a pretty rare thing, something you could order when it was all special order then. There were only a few hundred ever made, from what I understand. Rare bird!

Back
Top Bottom