S.S amp + Thiele/EVM-loaded speaker/cab? Good/Bad?

Georgy

Inspired
Hi guys

Apologies in advance if I haven't got my wording right here; hopefully you'll get the jist of what I'm trying to ask..

How do people find their EVM-loaded cab, or, Thiele made cab (?) with their Axe rigs?

Actually, how do people find running their Matrix power amp + EVM-loaded cab/Thiele made cab with their Axe rigs?! Does 'the air move' with this speaker + solid state amp combo? Does anyone use this speaker/cab with a tube head/tube power amp?

There's something intriguing about having a 1x12 cab that is capable of 200w as opposed to carrying around an FRFR speaker setup (not that there's anything wrong with that), or even lugging around a 2x12 or 4x12.. I read/hear that the EVs are a bit 'flatter' and don't really break up.. so if you've got a 'flat' amp, then your sound is probably gonna be 'flat' as well.. I've got the Axe-ii and a Matrix GT1500 and wanted to hear people's thoughts on if whether the above speaker/cab was good for both Axe FX and normal valve amp use as well..

I hope that makes sense! :nightmare:

I use Matrix GT800FX and EVM-12L loaded vertical 2x12 Mesa cab (closed back) and find it awesome :)

I have also used EVM-12L loaded Thiele Cabs, but found them too focused for stage

I also used Full Range Cabs loaded with EVM-12Ls & Horn and they performed very well with the Matrix

I use Matrix GT800FX and EVM-12L loaded vertical 2x12 Mesa cab (closed back) and find it awesome :)

I have also used EVM-12L loaded Thiele Cabs, but found them too focused for stage

I also used Full Range Cabs loaded with EVM-12Ls & Horn and they performed very well with the Matrix

Thanks Japster..

Tell me though, the Matrix + Mesa 2x12.. does that push some air? In my experience, the Matrix has struggled keeping up with, or rather, pushing out some air/sound..? I get good volume from the Matrix with a normal cab, but when you substitute the Matrix for a valve power amp, the vale power amp kills it. I might point out though, the Matrix works better with a FRFR speaker setup whereas the tube power amp works much better with a normal guitar cab.

As for the Thiele's being too focused, that's the thing, some say it doesn't really have much personality..

No worries Georgy,

I've found with the Matrix that I have to turn it up past 12 o'clock to get the EVM's working with any meaningful punch, I'm not sure if this is because of the size of the voice coil/magnet? I once turned it up full in a really big room and nearly took the windows out 30 yards away so there's plenty of headroom there.

I think the opposite happens with a Valve amp it's really difficult to control down the low end of the output knob. I've got an old Mesa Simulclass 295 Stereo power amp here, I will have to dig it out and try it with my Axe to see what it sounds like.

Yes I found the Thiele's too sterile sounding

Georgy,
If Yek doesn't answer in this thread within a couple of days send him a PM.
IIRC he used a Matrix + EVM loaded Thiele cab setup for quite some time with his Axe

Georgy,
If Yek doesn't answer in this thread within a couple of days send him a PM.
IIRC he used a Matrix + EVM loaded Thiele cab setup for quite some time with his Axe

I used a matrix power amp and 1x12 Mesa Boogie Thiele Cab with EVM12L for about a year.

I think the cab sounds good for what it is. Eventually I just didn't really bond with the speaker. It's not really my type of sound and I eventually went back to greenbacks and greenback clones (My preferred speaker of choice) in different cab setups. I think the sound of the Matrix and Axe FX was very accurate and recreated faithfully. I plugged other amps into the thiele/EVM cab and even loaned it out to my friends for studio work as well. They enjoyed the sound, and I got the same kind of results as I did with my axefx.

At the end of the day, it really just came down to the speaker. Wasn't a fan. There was just something in the top end I didn't dig for clean tones and the overdriver/distorted tones were just kind of "flat" and too neutral for me. I'm not a fan of V30s either not matter how popular those are amongst guitarists out there.

Back
Top Bottom