S/PIDF question from a newb

electric gypsy

Hey guys,

I received my Axe-Fx II the other day and have a question regarding the spidf connection to an audio interface. I'm using an old EMU 1820M and am curious if two cables are required or just one?

Thanks

Welcome to the community!

By using one cable, your EMU interface could either receive the signal from the Axe-Fx or send it. By using two cables, you could do both at the same time. Remember to use 75 ohm-cables and not "generic" cables with cinch-connectors.

Welcome to the community!

By using one cable, your EMU interface could either receive the signal from the Axe-Fx or send it. By using two cables, you could do both at the same time. Remember to use 75 ohm-cables and not "generic" cables with cinch-connectors.

Thank you very much!

I tried with no luck getting spidf to work with my interface. It also supports AES/EBU but there is no XLR input, only spidf. AES/EBU can be enabled via the Patchmix software. Is it possible to run XLR from the Axe FX to spidf connections on the interface?

electric gypsy said:
I tried with no luck getting spidf to work with my interface.
What was the issue? Did you set the sampling rate to 48 kHz?
electric gypsy said:
Is it possible to run XLR from the Axe FX to spidf connections on the interface?
No, XLR-output 1 from the Axe-Fx is analog, while SPDIF and AES/EBU are digital.

There was no signal using spidf. Sampling is set to 48 kHz. I was receiving the no input clock message when setting input source to spidf. It's probably down to user error but I've noticed some other people having similar issues.

I meant the XLR connections for AES/EBU on the Axe Fx.

Make sure your cable is connected to the S/PDIF Out of the AxeFx II and the S/PDIF In of your interface.

On the AUDIO page of the I/O Menu in the AxeFx II make sure your SPDIF/AES SELECT is set to SPDIF.

Last edited:
Are you trying to re-amp?

If not, you should only need one cable.

- Assuming you are just trying to send your wet signal to the interface, connect your Spdif cable from your Axe-fx Spdif "out" to your interface Spdif "in".

- Once you've connected this cable, go to the I/O menu, page over to audio (2nd tab), scroll down to USB/DIGI OUT SOURCE and select SPDIF.

- I'm not sure how your interface works, but there should be an input selection within your DAW to designate Spdif input. On my Saffire Pro 14 it's input 5 for mono, 5+6 for stereo.

I have not been able to get the Axe-fx II to work with my interface for re-amping (which is a real bummer but it seems like it's very touchy for a lot of people). Every time I try to send signal to the Axe-fx II it says "No Input Clock" and my interface won't lock to any signal. I know it's not my interface, because I can get spdif to clock to itself by running a loop. It seems like it's an Axe issue. I would like to be able to reamp via spdif because it's the best way to insure digital quality for sending out to the Axe as an outboard effect (delay throws, modulations, distortion, etc.) but it just doesn't seem like it's going to be possible.

Interface shows no signal lock. Bakerman - we've been through this before. NOTHING will make my Axe-fx II work with my interface spdif out. Nothing. I've tried every possible selection, different cords, and am positive, without doubt, that I'm doing everything the way I'm supposed to. We've pretty much narrowed it down to one of 2 things.

1. Spdif in on my Axe-fx II is busted. I'm not really reamping these days so not a huge loss. Especially since I'll be likely upgrading to Mavericks within a couple days and be all set to go back to USB.

2. There is a problem with the Focusrite/Axe interaction because the Saffire has to be master of the spdif out, but so does Axe-fx II. Either way - not going to work. Let's not derail this dude's thread.

Interface shows no signal lock. Bakerman - we've been through this before. NOTHING will make my Axe-fx II work with my interface spdif out. Nothing. I've tried every possible selection, different cords, and am positive, without doubt, that I'm doing everything the way I'm supposed to. We've pretty much narrowed it down to one of 2 things.

1. Spdif in on my Axe-fx II is busted. I'm not really reamping these days so not a huge loss. Especially since I'll be likely upgrading to Mavericks within a couple days and be all set to go back to USB.

2. There is a problem with the Focusrite/Axe interaction because the Saffire has to be master of the spdif out, but so does Axe-fx II. Either way - not going to work. Let's not derail this dude's thread.

What's your interface clock source set to when you see the "no lock" message? I'm really trying to help here; you didn't answer this in a previous thread. The only reason I can think of for the "no lock" message is having the interface clock source incorrectly set to SPDIF.

I know you're trying to help me, so sorry if I'm being a grumpy-crotch.

It doesn't matter. If I set it to spdif, it doesn't lock. If it's internal it locks but when I switch main input source to spdif/aes the Axe-fx II reads "no input clock" because... apparently you need to set the sync source to Spdif in order to send spdif signal out. So it's either my interface and Axe-fx II are not able to work together because both are trying to be master clock control, or the spdif input on my axe is busted. I'm going with spdif input on my axe is busted because if I do a loop with the Axe-fx II spdif in/out it still won't clock.

No worries about derailing the thread. It's all good. In my case, I think I'm just going to upgrade to a new interface. Mine is already 8 years old.

For what it is worth I have a emu 1820m that I use with the axefx II, and I usually connect via spdif. I just have one spdif cable running from the axefx output to the emu input. Works fine, no problems. I believe there is a setting in the emu patchmix program to sync the digital clock externally, which is how I have had it set. I previously did not have this setting checked when I was using spdif with a Pod HD and had some audio glitches, changing this setting fixed it. With this external sync the emu automatically gets set to the 48khz sampling rate.

+1
I haven't tried with the Axe yet because I mainly use the analog outputs. However I did with the spdif in/out of my 11 Rack and it worked very well. Why would you change your interface ? The emu 1820m is a great unit. Age is not always a problem ;-)

Ok, I have just tried with the Emu 1820m via spdif and it works, either with the ext or internal clock at 48 KHz. Still have to try to reamp but there should be no problem...

Thanks for posting your results Holyoli. I wish I could get mine to work. I'm curious if maybe it's an issue with the spidf connectors on my axe fx.

It could be, but most probably it's a configuration problem :
You should have :
On the Axe fx : I/O (Audio) : Main input source to analog (in1) - SDIF/AES select to spdif - Usb / Digi out source to output 1
On your EMU 1820m : spdif connected to the PCI daughter card (It's common sense but check the in/out of the card to the out/in of the AXE)
In the EMU patchmix :
a PCI Card SPDIF L/R channel strip
On the session settings : system : 48KHZ S/PDIF (you can tick internal or External Source)
I/O : PCI Card Optical Output and input ticked to ADAT+coax SPDIF, SPDIF output format to SPDIF

Hope that helps

apparently you need to set the sync source to Spdif in order to send spdif signal out.

Shouldn't have to--if you loop SPDIF out to in w/ internal sync you can send audio out and watch for activity on the Mixcontrol SPDIF in meters. I don't know of any interface that shuts down SPDIF out when set to internal sync.

I'm going with spdif input on my axe is busted because if I do a loop with the Axe-fx II spdif in/out it still won't clock.

This doesn't mean anything; there's no clock source in that scenario. The Axe will always say no input clock.

Have you tried another SPDIF source like a CD/DVD/Bluray player into the Axe? It will sync to 44.1 or 48 kHz so any CD or DVD should work.

Yeah - but even when I did just let the input clock message go, and tried to reamp a dry track, all I got was this hum coming through the other end. Something is definitely not right with the Axe-fx side of things because when I created a loop internally I did not get the hum. And I tried both of my cords. That's why I ultimately contacted support and they agreed that I should send it in to get looked at. I have ultimately decided not to use my Axe-fx II as an outboard effects unit because I have much nicer software modulation/delays/distortions.

Back
Top Bottom