S/PDIF sync problems

bladlus

Inspired
Hi guys, I have a very annoying problem with the S/PDIF in my Axe-Fx 2. When setting the "Main Input Source" to "SPDIF/AES", I get the "NO INPUT CLOCK!" when connected to either my Steinberg MR816x or my Creative E-MU 0404. Both clock sources being set to Internal with a 48k sample rate, of course. S/PDIF out works fine. However, with my Echo AudioFire Pre8, it syncs completely fine - the "NO INPUT CLOCK!"-message goes away instantly and I can send audio to the Axe with no problems. I've tried syncing the 3 interfaces to each other, testing both internal and S/PDIF sync modes, and that works fine. It's just the Axe-Fx that doesn't want to sync up with the MR816x/E-MU. I feel like I've tried everything here. I'm running FW 4.01 - perhaps this problem has been fixed in a newer firmware?

Kind regards,
Ben

Plugged SPDIF into RME Multiface II - no problems, just selected SPDIF inputs in Cubase and all is well.

Nope. It's not your interface. It's probably the Spdif input on your axe is hashed. I have the same problem. I still haven't sent it in to be repaired, because I'm not really reamping these days. Contact support.

Hi Spec. Yeah, at first I thought I had the same problem as you, but I just find it really strange that it works perfectly with my Echo AudioFire Pre8 interface (which I'm planning on selling..) and not at all with my other interfaces. I'm going to try a firmware upgrade to the latest version to see if it fixes the problem.

So I updated to FW 12.02, and I'm still having the same problem... Syncs with my Echo, not with my Steinberg. Any tips? ;(

i have a similar problem with my AxeFx to my Roland OctaCapture. It only occurs when I'm trying to hook up digitally in both directions. I can send to the Axe via S/PDIF OK but only when the output S/PDIF on the Axe is not being used. Is that the case for you as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What OS are you using? When I record via SPDIF, I set my incoming clock settings to slave/external and it automatically switches to 48k. Using a UAD Apollo and M-Audio 2626.

Maybe you could make a video, to help us diagnose your problem?

i have a similar problem with my AxeFx to my Roland OctaCapture. It only occurs when I'm trying to hook up digitally in both directions. I can send to the Axe via S/PDIF OK but only when the output S/PDIF on the Axe is not being used. Is that the case for you as well?

This happened to me as well with my iMac and Presonus FP10. I was previously using an Eventide Eclipse this way and worked fine. I assumed that it was an issue with my FP10 as it is a piece of junk and I'm in search of a new interface and hopefully it will work for me.

This happened to me as well with my iMac and Presonus FP10. I was previously using an Eventide Eclipse this way and worked fine. I assumed that it was an issue with my FP10 as it is a piece of junk and I'm in search of a new interface and hopefully it will work for me.

I'm thinking it's an issue the AxeFx as I can use my OctaCapture S/PDIF In and Out simultaneously with other devices. The AxeFx does not seem to be able to use it's own clock for output while at the same time using an external clock for input.

Nope. It's not your interface. It's probably the Spdif input on your axe is hashed. I have the same problem. I still haven't sent it in to be repaired, because I'm not really reamping these days. Contact support.

I don't think it's the AxeFx S/PDIF input as I can use it with no issues as long as I don't use the AxeFx S/PDIF output at the same time.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I don't see what.

In the mean time I do re-amping analogually which works great with an Octacapture and Readial X-Amp to translate the Octacapture Output signal back to an instrument signal into AxeFx.

Last edited:

With my Echo, it works completely fine using both IN and OUT at the same time, but with my other interfaces, only OUT from the Axe works - The Axe doesn't want to sync with them, hence the "NO INPUT CLOCK!" message. Syncing the Echo to the MR816x with a cable from MR816x' S/PDIF OUT to Echo S/PDIF IN works fine. I had a thought that it might have something to do with Consumer/Professional S/PDIF format, as I have an option in my Echo settings page to switch between them, but both formats work, so... Using OSX 10.8.5.

So to sum it up - all my 3 interfaces sync fine with each other in all different combinations of master/slave, but my Axe-Fx II is apparently picky with its S/PDIF IN clock input, and doesn't want to sync to my MR816x or E-MU 0404 for some reason. Echo AudioFire Pre8 works totally fine. :S

Thanks for replying though, guys - it seems like I'm not the only one having some issues with the Axe-Fx II's S/PDIF.

Last edited:
Only way I've ever gotten SPDIF to work for re-amping is to set it the audio interface to slave for the first take (typically dry SPDIF and wet analog). Then when I go to re-amp I have to change the source on the AxeFXII to digital (of course) and then change the clock on the audio interface to master. Once I do that it will usually flash the error for a second and then sync up fine. I do get some latency along the path, but it's easy to line up the peaks manually after it's recorded.

Now the only way that I was ever able to get around the clock BS is to by a Mutec MC-4 which basically converts everything and resyncs it to my master clock source which is the audio interface. It's bidirectional and works pretty good. Perfectly actually.

From a thread I made on Gearslutz:

"Check with Axe-FX 2 manufacturer if their AES/XLR is compatible with SPDIF/RCA, and if you can clock via AES instead… SPDIF out from other unit > AES input Axe-Fx 2.

If it is compatible, you might just need simple XLR to RCA adapters (Neutrik).

If not, you might need AES/SPDIF transformers to match impedance between your unit's SPDIF out and the Axe-Fx 2's AES. I'm selling a full package of all these cables/connectors on the classifieds if you'd like to take a look at all the pieces.

Good luck! "

Hmm...

I'll save you the time. No it doesn't work. Basically you're talking about being able to use the SPDIF input as a clock input. No dice.

Back
Top Bottom