S/PDIF & Effects Loop Block

This was asked previously sorta, but I was not clear on the answer. So I want to rephrase the question:

The Axe FX 1/4" effects send/return is a "block" that can be placed wherever in the signal chain. So if I put an effect in the loop (e.g., a phase shifter), it shows up as a block on the screen. I think this is basically correct.

My question: Can I connect an external effect via S/PDIF I/O and use it as an effects block in the signal chain? Or must this unit be connected via the 1/4" connections?

Thanks,
Jam

No; there isn't a block for that and all analog outputs become non-functional (producing static noise) if you're using digital input on the Axe-FX.

If your external device can use digital input synced to Axe-FX along w/ analog output you could use the Axe-FX digital output as the loop send with the right connections & preset routing. Digital out to the other gear's digital in, analog out to Axe-FX input 2, Axe-FX output 2 to your amplification/recording system.

|-(pre-loop effects)--(shunts to end... this signal gets sent to external gear)--|

then on another row

|-RTN-FXL-(post-loop effects)-SND-(leave an empty space here or you'll get a feedback loop)-|

Set RTN mix to 100%.

Back
Top Bottom