??s for those who have gone from QSC HPR122i to the K12

Glauben

I spent several hours and trips trying to decide on which monitor to buy, and eventually chose the K12 by default. Still trying to decide whether to keep it or go back for the 122i.

After many years of selling audio, reading technical papers, auditioning different products, and knowing that there is inherent cabinet resonance with "any" design (whether it's supposed to be EQ'd out with on-board electronics), I'm wondering how many of you that have moved from the 122i to the K12 have been satisfied, and how many have gone back to the 122i (avoiding the issue of weight). A lot of guitar cabs (I'm sure the Reactor included) use the cabinet design (wood, size, etc) to create the overall tonality, and I'm sure that QSC products are no different.

Also, given the two monitors, how successful have you been in "dialing out" inherent cabinet resonance that is contributed to the overall tone? Maybe I just have a bit more to do within the Axe-Fx editing. I felt that the 122i was more balanced in the store, but I did not have my AxeFx there to do a proper audition.

Thanks for the answers, and insights.

i dont have either but have tried both, the reason the k series is more popular is it has a flatter truer response while the hpr has a "midrange hump" probably so the vocals could cut through. If you like this sound the k series has a vocal boost that would get you pretty close to that, but also has a flat option which most people here feel is ideal for the axe fx.... hope this helps....

I agree with the notion that there is something added (what most call a midrange "hump") to the 122i. My impression is that this added "hump" is due to the many factors, one of which is likely the birch cabinet. It's inevitable that some harmonic overtones from the cabinet eventually make it into the overall "character" of the sound, as described in my first post. However, the K12, as flat as it may be perceived to the buyer, has its own "resonance" or "overtones" that make it into the sound.

????

Glauben said:
I spent several hours and trips trying to decide on which monitor to buy, and eventually chose the K12 by default. Still trying to decide whether to keep it or go back for the 122i.

After many years of selling audio, reading technical papers, auditioning different products, and knowing that there is inherent cabinet resonance with "any" design (whether it's supposed to be EQ'd out with on-board electronics), I'm wondering how many of you that have moved from the 122i to the K12 have been satisfied, and how many have gone back to the 122i (avoiding the issue of weight). A lot of guitar cabs (I'm sure the Reactor included) use the cabinet design (wood, size, etc) to create the overall tonality, and I'm sure that QSC products are no different.

Also, given the two monitors, how successful have you been in "dialing out" inherent cabinet resonance that is contributed to the overall tone? Maybe I just have a bit more to do within the Axe-Fx editing. I felt that the 122i was more balanced in the store, but I did not have my AxeFx there to do a proper audition.

Thanks for the answers, and insights.

You're much better off auditioning with a small selection of music tracks that you know well, and have heard on relatively neutral, high quality audio systems. Pick the unit that appears to introduce the fewest colorations, and then start dialing your guitar presets for that monitor.

It's also important, when you're auditioning, to ensure that the options you're listening to are in the same or similar positions (acoustical environment) in the room, and not in a position that introduces predictable major issues, e.g. on the floor.

Playing your Axe-FX through the choices will tell you which one you prefer (at that moment in time, in that acoustical space) but won't give you a clue which one is the more truthful reproduction device.

Back
Top Bottom