Pick your favorite band...

• Total voters
rush out of the two, but not really a fan.
never liked pink floyd at all, could never see the appeal but each to their own.

Rush by far......

Third only to the Beatles & Stones in most gold/platinum records.

Alex Lifeson, Geddy Lee, Neil Peart. Each legends on guitar, bass & drums.

Have inspired countless musicians on each instrument.

I would love to hear Floyd do La Villa Strangiato ! lol

Last edited:
Both bands obviously rule but, Rush is special for me. I've always had a difficult time really getting into Pink Floyd, and Rush was so natural for me to listen to. Part of it could have been my dad playing Rush through my whole childhood so I'm almost tempered to them. Also I feel like Alex Lifeson has had a fairly large impact on how I play guitar, I love that man's guitfiddle strummin :)

Rush vs. Pink Floyd

This is a joke, right? :roll

How can you even speak the name rush :miserable: in the same sentence with legends like PF?

PS, I just noticed I'm now a senior member. :shock

Pink Floyd! This band could always hit an emotional chord with me and I don't know why. Maybe because all of their music is so sincere and real. I do love rush too though.

I prefer Rush by far...though I'm a fan of both.

Very, very different bands though. It's an apples to oranges type thing.

Love Rush too, but it's Floyd.

David Gilmour is the reason. Band to band, they are equally innovative and unique, but Gilmour just grabs my ear every time.

Love both of them a lot, they are both in my top 5. But I gotta give it to Rush, based on their longevity and amount of material, their individual musical chops and their devotion to their fans.

Pink Floyd, hands down. Why are we even discussing this. It's like asking a Jew if they prefer pork or chicken.

Reactions: Jul
I absolutely worship Pink Floyd, and DSOTM - Animals is probably my favorite three album stretch by any band. However, Pink Floyd's consistency (or lack thereof) is why I can't pick them over Rush. While my favorite period of Rush was the late 70's early 80's, there's no period of their career I don't like and the last 3 albums have been great. They just released Clockwork Angels in 2012, and it's their best album since Moving Pictures, which is 30 years old.

Rush has continued to improve and write NEW MUSIC, and although AMLOR and Division Bell were good albums, PF hasn't released a great album since Animals (IMO). The Wall and Final Cut are great albums, but those are more Roger Water's solo albums than they are PF albums. I worship David Gilmour, but it's obvious on those albums (not counting C. Numb, RLH) that he was marginalized.

Rush is practically the only band of my favorite progressive bands from the 70's that continues to make new, good music and continues to tour. And their live shows are the best in the business from my perspective, and I see lots of shows. If Pink Floyd was still a cohesive band making new albums and touring, then I have a feeling they would get the nod, but picking them now would be a sentimental choice more than a real one for me.

Okay Chef, I'm waiting to see who you're going to compare Led Zeppelin or Yes against. Doh, don't do it!!!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo............................................. But..................................................undoubtedly YES!

PF, but given the videos you posted, I like Fly by Night more than Welcome to the Machine... I'm not sure why I've never really gotten into Rush, considering that I love prog. I really dig some of their music but never really connected with it emotionally. Our bassist is the other way - he's a total Rush geek and doesn't really get into the other prog bands.

Yes and Zep rule above all. You could do a Yes vs Genesis poll, but there is nobody like Zep ;-)
Also waiting for the Stones vs Who poll...

RUSH, by far and above. And FWIW, are the greatest "BAND" (key word) ever. Each member contributing to the group equally, not some dudes riding off of 1 or 2 guys coat tails. All 3 members are Virtuoso's. Their longivity, they are still selling out shows/tours, (not-a-palooza) The sheer volume of songs they've written over the years. Lyrics by Peart music by Lee/Lifeson...... nuff said.

Back
Top Bottom