Rush / Dream Theater

louyseiz

Inspired
I may hate myself soon.
I'm a HUGE fan of Dream Theater. Basically the only band I've seen live 10+ times. Love pretty much everything they do.
In the waiting of their next album, I browsed Youtube after all these years looking for what they've always called their "main influence", Rush.

"O - M - G", as any american teen would say, what did I do?

Not to mention I'm falling in love instantly with their music straight away, I feel really weird now. Even in the listening of a couple of albums by Rush, I hear 90% of DT's riffs and ideas. That's insane. I almost see DT as a cover band now. Even graphically, I see things being alike.
For example, the cover of "Moving Pictures" reminds me of the mirror that's found on "Awake".
"Limelight" was clearly the inspiration for "The Looking Glass", and "The spirit of radio" for "The best of Times" 's riff...

I'm a bit afraid to keep on listening to Rush's albums now, I'm not sure how much I'll love DT after that!

intro of 2112 and Trial of Tears... ;)

DT was my fav band, and i hate to say it that way. but they really lost me with their arrangements after MP "left" the band. it's really chord-based now, almost feels like movie scores more than prog metal songs. it's still good, but doesn't do it for me lately. maybe i'll get into it at some point though. i didn't understand meshuggah forever until one day OH I GET IT and that's basically an everyday thing for me now.

OP, don't be too hard on Dream Theater. Once you digest the whole Rush catalog you will still find room to recognize & respect some of Dream Theater's own originality & contributions to the genre, however small that may be....

Having said that........Just enjoy discovering the genius that is Geddy/Alex & Neil. From the debut album Rush(minus Neil) in '74 thru the latest Clockwork Angels release from 2012, they are the greatest band to ever grace the face of the earth! This is simply a fact with no personal bias or hyperbole........ok maybe a little...

Enjoy exploring/digesting their 20 studio albums for the first time.........I wish that I could live it all again......

Last edited:
OP, don't be too hard on Dream Theater. Once you digest the whole Rush catalog you will still find room to recognize & respect some of Dream Theater's own originality & contributions to the genre, however small that may be....

Having said that........Just enjoy discovering the genius that is Geddy/Alex & Neil. From the debut album Rush(minus Neil) in '74 thru the latest Clockwork Angels release from 2012, they are the greatest band to ever grace the face of the earth! This is simply a fact with no personal bias or hyperbole........ok maybe a little...

Enjoy exploring/digesting their 20 studio albums for the first time.........I wish that I could live it all again......

Will do :)
I'm not spitting at DT's face. Can't believe I've been enjoying a band for that long to be honest, I truly love what they are, even if I regret Portnoy still. But tremendously looking forward to their next album coming soon!
In the meantime, Rush it is!

I've been listening to Rush since 1975, when my older brother had their first few albums, then 2112 was released, and they became my favorite band from then on!

A few years later I started playing guitar, and grew and evolved with Rush's changing style to be able to play more complicated things. I saw them live on nearly every tour since Signals.

I like Dream Theater as well. I know many people who got into DT first before listening to Rush.

I love DT since 1999, I'm really addicted !
But I don't miss portnoy because the band was going darker and darker since train of thought.
I love the two last albums and there is some serious prog like breaking all illusions.
My favorite of all times is six degrees :)
And liquid tension experiment lol

I follow DT since their first recordings (I met JP at Berklee when I was there for a summer stage).
They changed for sure since then and I find it a positive thing but this is IMHO.
If you go back to look at Rush career and recordings you can notice that also they changed their way to compose their music.
As in everything, somebody will like it, some other will disagree, that's life!

Back
Top Bottom