Running with a Stereo 2x12 ?

Sean Ashe

Power User
Hey everyone, I've been using my Matrix GT1000FX going into an early 80s 4x12 Marshall cab for a bit of time now, and am starting to look into some other cabs as well.

I definitely want to run in stereo because...well, I'm needy I guess haha.

I am going to be downsizing to a 2x12, probably of the Port City variety, and was wondering if there are any issues with running Axe FX in stereo, into a stereo 2x12 cab. Such as phasing, or otherwise.

Any info would be appreciated, especially from those who currently use a 2x12 in stereo. Thanks!

Hey Sean...
No issues that I have seen. I use the Axe with 2 2x12 stereo Genz Benz G flex cabinets (George Lynch models) and they sound great to me. I make use of one cab all the time for home and keep another at the studio.
These have LR at 8ohm each and 16 ohm mono for one.

Love running stereo ;)

I'd down size to 2 2x12's:D or 2 1x12 better separation for stereo,thing is ,its only for your listening pleasure, if you were playing live no one else really going to hear the stereo unless they've sitting on your shoulders :D Its hard I think to down size from a 4x12. 4x12 got that sound

I'd down size to 2 2x12's:D or 2 1x12 better separation for stereo,thing is ,its only for your listening pleasure, if you were playing live no one else really going to hear the stereo unless they've sitting on your shoulders :D Its hard I think to down size from a 4x12. 4x12 got that sound

Have you ever heard a ported 2x12 from Port City? Legitimately one of the best cabs my ears have ever heard. It sounds huge!! So for sound and portability, is why I'm sizing down. And the 4x12 I'm using is my dad's and If something happened to his pretty much vintage 4x12, I'd feel terrible haha

Also as far as stereo vs mono goes, mostly because of effects, as well as possibly blending amps. When i run live, i run to cab and FOH, so if one isn't available, I like it to be consistent.

Hey Sean...
No issues that I have seen. I use the Axe with 2 2x12 stereo Genz Benz G flex cabinets (George Lynch models) and they sound great to me. I make use of one cab all the time for home and keep another at the studio.
These have LR at 8ohm each and 16 ohm mono for one.

Love running stereo ;)

Alright cool, I am torn about what type of speakers to get because I of course want it to be able to handle a decent amount of power. Research time :D

I run two 4x12 in stereo, and have also run one 4x12 in stereo as well. It works fine for me although I found it best to turn the cab sims off. I'm considering running direct as I'm feeling limited by the same tonality of my cabs/speakers. I've only had the axe for a week, but I've been using rack pre-amp processors in stereo for years. Running in stereo is not needy - it sounds great! Separation in the stereo field is important for a good image, so in a 2x12 cab there is not much. This is why I ran two 4x12s set apart from each other and isolated when mic'd live.

I run two 4x12 in stereo, and have also run one 4x12 in stereo as well. It works fine for me although I found it best to turn the cab sims off. I'm considering running direct as I'm feeling limited by the same tonality of my cabs/speakers. I've only had the axe for a week, but I've been using rack pre-amp processors in stereo for years. Running in stereo is not needy - it sounds great! Separation in the stereo field is important for a good image, so in a 2x12 cab there is not much. This is why I ran two 4x12s set apart from each other and isolated when mic'd live.

Nice! And yea you wouldn't want to run a cab through a cab. I guess for me I always end up using around the same types of cabs in the axe fx/direct, so I'm used to having one sound with the cab, but that's just me :)

Nice! And yea you wouldn't want to run a cab through a cab. I guess for me I always end up using around the same types of cabs in the axe fx/direct, so I'm used to having one sound with the cab, but that's just me :)

Sometimes a cab through a cab can be interesting and usable, but I'm usually dialing in sounds via headphones with cab sims on. This does not translate well to my live cabs, and I've become fond of several of the cab sims in the axe. Unfortunately it's not convenient for me to tweak with the live cabs as they typically stay put at the rehearsal facility (I hate lugging those beasts). Anyway, running stereo live can be heard, especially when you play with a trio. One thing to note is that modulation effects (chorus) always tend to make the perceived volume louder. I've noticed this from some of the live recordings, so if I'm running a dry (unmodulated) I will use an image widener/enhancer so that there is a stereo image that doesn't lose it's perceived volume. IMO There's nothing like a TC 1210 when it comes to making a BIG stereo image --- even without effect. Maybe Cliff will model this effect someday and add to the library. Cheers!

Sometimes a cab through a cab can be interesting and usable, but I'm usually dialing in sounds via headphones with cab sims on. This does not translate well to my live cabs, and I've become fond of several of the cab sims in the axe. Unfortunately it's not convenient for me to tweak with the live cabs as they typically stay put at the rehearsal facility (I hate lugging those beasts). Anyway, running stereo live can be heard, especially when you play with a trio. One thing to note is that modulation effects (chorus) always tend to make the perceived volume louder. I've noticed this from some of the live recordings, so if I'm running a dry (unmodulated) I will use an image widener/enhancer so that there is a stereo image that doesn't lose it's perceived volume. IMO There's nothing like a TC 1210 when it comes to making a BIG stereo image --- even without effect. Maybe Cliff will model this effect someday and add to the library. Cheers!

Nice, thanks a ton for your input dude :) Also one thing I could suggest, is shooting IRs of your cabs and using them in the Axe FX to tweak your live sounds. That way you are still getting your cab in the box ;)

Back
Top Bottom