Running vocals through the Axe

I know there are a few topics addressing this but I thought it'd be nice to get everyone's take on this in one thread. If you're running vocals through your Axe, how are you routing it?

I'm working on this and wondering what the best way to do it is. Right now I have the effects out from my powered mixer going to input 2 on the Axe, then output 2 on the Axe goes back to the Aux input of the mixer. The problem with this is that I'm getting the uneffected signal pre-effects send as well as the effected signal from my Axe coming out of my speakers, whereas I'd like to have just the signal coming back from my Axe in the speakers. I'm sure there's a better way to do this but I've always been bad at routing stuff.

Okay, after discovering a bunch of posts on this topic in the General Discussion sub-forum rather than this one where I initially looked and doing some other research, I think I may have figured out what I need. It seems like I just need an xlr to 1/4" impedance converter to run the vocals to the Axe, and then run the Axe to the line-in of the mixer. Sound right?

Hopefully someone responds to this at some point 'cause I'm struggling. I got an impedance matching transformer and the signal is like this: mic-transformer-Axe-mixer. The level is way low though, I have to crank the levels of everything (Axe out/in & mixer) all the way up to get any sort of decent volume. So it seems that the transformer isn't doing what I thought it would do, i.e., raise the level of the mic signal to line level. Or I'm just misunderstanding something somewhere, which is likely. Help? :(

Actually a transformer won't cut it. You need a microphone preamp with 1/4 inch line level output. Idon't have one to suggest, but there are a number of them out there. If you frequent studio forums as I occasionally do, you'll learn about different mic pres. Chandler, Avalon, Focusrite to name a few. I believe ART and Behringer also do cheaper versions.

See how you go.

TimmyM

Back
Top Bottom