Running to FRFR and real cab - best I/O options?

blaggers

Power User
I want to setup patches to be flexible for various hardware situations. Im currently using OUT 1 for sending a CAB block signal chain to FRFR (or PA) and when using headphones for silent practice when needed.

I want to send a pre-CAB block output to a Marshall 8008 power amp and real cab. Currently using OUT3 (which doesnt have ground lift, but does have humbuster option), but am boosting the OUT3 block output setting by 9db to get enough output volume (and might need to go higher). Is this the best way to achieve this setup? What I/Os are other people using for a dual "cab and PA" send setup?

If I also want to add a fx loop with a pedal in it is it best to use the IN2/OUT2 or IN4/OUT4 options?

Thanks.

I think your setup is fine for the amp you have. 9dB doesn't seem unreasonable boost, and you have room to go up from there.
Another option commonly used is to run an EQ just before the out block that goes to the cab. Then you can sculpt as well as boost.
As for the pedal, it depends. Out 4 has unity gain and humbuster™. Out 2 offers balanced connectors.

Personally? I'd probably try to get a flat power amp (Matrix or Duncan) and feed it with XLRs to Out 2.

I use out 1 to FRFR (PA), out goes to the matrix, and then into two 1x12 TT-cabs. I use out3-in3 as an effect loop for my Shiva wave tri-chorus

Personally? I'd probably try to get a flat power amp (Matrix or Duncan) and feed it with XLRs to Out 2.

@Admin M@ Would you use the Out 2 for a power amp even if you had an outboard device with balanced inputs you wanted to use in an Axe III effect loop? That is, should the balanced outs of Out 2 be used for the outboard device instead of the power amp (with the power amp being connected to Out 3 or 4)?

XLR is preferred more for its solid physical connection, with locking pins on the female side and potentially the male side too. generally speaking, connections under 18 feet with 1/4" have no difference in sound, but could be pulled or fall out.

that said, i'd much rather prefer the cable to be pulled out rather than a locked cable drag my rack or other gear around the stage or make it fall down.

I think your setup is fine for the amp you have. 9dB doesn't seem unreasonable boost, and you have room to go up from there.
Another option commonly used is to run an EQ just before the out block that goes to the cab. Then you can sculpt as well as boost.
As for the pedal, it depends. Out 4 has unity gain and humbuster™. Out 2 offers balanced connectors.

Thanks Matt,
Ive found adding 18db to OUT3 block level (fed straight from the Amp block) shows -6db on the block output meter, and nearly matches the OUT3 front LED level (OUT3 knob fully cranked) to the OUT1 front LED level (OUT1 output knob fully cranked) on the front LEDs. Does that sound OK? I dont see any clipping in the preset or the output LEDS. Does that send line level (about +4db) to the power amp?

Back
Top Bottom